PDA

View Full Version : Ssshhhhhhh!

kes
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
My Rainbow Cichlids are spawning!!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

I've just come home from doing a home birth (coincidentaly) and my Rainbows are doing some baby making all of their own! They've picked a really public rock to do it on so I don't know how well they'll fare but at least I know they've paired up and are 'doin the do' so to speak...

They're in a community tank so time will tell if they survive my big clumsy loaches and bossy male Sajica but I will keep you informed of their progress...

CAF
10-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Congrats!!!! and Good Luck:19:

kes
10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Well... they layed all their eggs and last night they were swimming about and all the eggs had gone so I thought 'oh well, they've eaten them..' It was their first spawn so I thought maybe they were novice parents. However... this morning I've come down and my male rainbow has disappeared! He's a big fish so not easy to misplace but I can't find him anywhere. I wondered if they did hatch and he's took the fry off somewhere. it's quite a well planted tank and there's a gap under the internal filter that my loaches usually sleep in that I can't quite see into... Do you think he could be hiding somewhere? It's a mystery! The female is behaving perfectly normally now and has gone back to her normal colour.

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2007, 03:36 PM
OOPS........The home birth was probably less stressful on your part. :)

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
hmmmmm.....thats weird that he just dissapeared like that....yeah he must be hiding.

congrats on the spawn.

Tolley
10-27-2007, 07:22 PM
hmm i hope he is protecting the eggs somewhere safe. Good Luck!

S13DWS
10-28-2007, 07:00 PM
ooooh wittle fishies!!!! Hope all goes well for you! Good luck becoming a mummy!!!

kes
10-29-2007, 03:03 PM
No such luck with the little fishies..I did find my male rainbow though..he'd wedged himself right under my filter pump!! He's out now and no worse for the experience (except perhaps a little embarrassed)..

Incredulous_Ed
10-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Are there any eggs still???

kes
10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Nope :( - I'm pretty sure it's my fault too.. Where they'd laid the eggs there was a little plant and Mr Rainbow started ripping the s*** out of it til there was no leaves, I presumed this was because he didn't want it there so I gently moved it to the other side of the tank and it wasn't long after that that the eggs had gone.. they'd been there 3 days so I thought they'd hatched and he'd taken them somewhere but it was not to be...

Incredulous_Ed
10-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Don't sweat it. If the conditions are good they will breed again soon.