PDA

View Full Version : Betta Breeding

BettaTy
07-07-2006, 01:29 AM
How many baby bettas should I expect to have? In a book, it said 100 eggs if by mouth, 300 by nest, but do all of them hatch, and if so, how can I get rid of 100-300 bettas?! :P

William
07-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Not all hatch and not all will survive to adulthood. Even the best breeder usually loose some of the fry.

You should know that there are a large number of bettas. Se our tropical fish species section under B. Some species are mouthbrooders other nest builders. The number eggs vary between species. The mouthbrooding species gets less fry than the nest building ones.

Which betta species are you talking about. Betta Splendens (siamese fighting fish) ?

BettaTy
07-08-2006, 12:28 AM
I know about how they breed, but I don't know what kind of fish I have. I went to the pet store and it said "Betta Fish" And I took one home. Can I post a picture? Will you be able to tell what species it is?

Also, let's say my fish lays 200 eggs, how many of those will hatch do you think?

William
07-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Yes you can post a picture but i don't don't think it is necessary. If it just said betta fish it is a betta splendens ( 99.9 % sure)

Can't say how many eggs that hatch. it depends on water quality and a lot of other factors.

BettaTy
07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Oh, okay, thank you :)