PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this Gar and give information about it.

scarediecat
02-02-2013, 03:14 AM
I am trying to find correct information about this gar. To begin with, what is it’s proper name!? I have had so many different people tell me so many different names for it. I would like to know if I am caring for it properly - though I have had it a year in a 75 gal. tank and it is doing very good so far. I have heard that it will eventually need a 200 gal. tank, etc... I feed him feeder fish but I’ve heard they have no nutritional value. Do I add aquarium salt to his water? His tank mate is a Clown Knife Fish, so far there are no problems between them. Can I put my 3 inch Piranha in with my gar? My Piranha is in a 20 gal. tank - alone - and hides almost all the time in the "rock house" I have in the tank for him. Any help with identification of this fish, feeding instructions, and answers to my questions would be helpful.

Aeonflame
02-02-2013, 03:43 AM
This is a needlenose gar, Xenentodon cancila. Not a true gar but related to the needlefish.

Your piranha should be kept in a species tank in a school of its own kind. This is why it is skittish and hides most of the time.

Crispy
02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
+1. also don't be surprised if your clown knife eats the needlenose eventually.

Knightia
02-02-2013, 09:52 PM
+1 also.

It's not very kind to keep piranha alone. They are very nervous fish who suffer great stress in isolation. They should be kept in groups of 6+ in shady tanks with lots of cover.

scarediecat
02-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the information and advice. I really appreciate it.
1. I will find a new home for my needlenose so that my knife fish doesn’t eat it. Or - should I keep the needlenose and get rid of the knife fish? Which will get the biggest? How big will the needlenose get?
2. Because my Piranha belongs to my grandson I will keep him and get 5 more but will he eat Piranha that are much smaller than him. He will be in a 75 gal. tank with lots of hiding places.
3. I will keep my knife fish in my other 75 gal. tank and hope to get a 200 gal. tank asap - unless he will eventually need something OVER 200 gal. That‘s too much tank for me. If a 200 gal. tank is ok for him what other fish can I keep with him?

Crispy
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
the knife will grow much bigger and bulkier. tankmates for a large clown knife would be other large fish. this requires a larger than 200g tank depending how many tankmates you want.