PDA

View Full Version : Substrate depth for Vallisneria

serbusfish
01-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Im interested in moving over to real plants and was considering starting with some Vallisneria but im worried my substrate isnt deep enough, how deep should it be for this plant?

Another thing I should ask is which species of Vallisneria would be best in a tank with a water depth of 16 inches? I was going to go for Vallisneria Spiralis Straight Vallis for the background but it seems this grows to over 23 inches?

And I guess Vallisneria tortifolia would be what id want for the front?

homemadepopcorn
01-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Most vals will outgrow your tank height as they are typically found in deeper river beds. However, you can trim vals and see no negative effects on the plant's health. If you really want to keep vals, then trimming them once they get too tall would be your best bet.

As far as substrate depth goes, 2-3 inches is usually recommended. Any less and plants can't root or run. Any more and you might have some nasty stuff build up in the substrate and unless you have experience in handling substrate in the long term, it can be a hassle.

Allesgut
01-24-2013, 04:52 AM
While the depth mentioned above is generally fine, for such undemading plant as valisneria even 1 inch is not a radikal case, provided that no "digging" catfsh is there. More imoportant is substrate particle size - vals would prefer 3-4 mm, while sandy substrate is not preferrable one.

Brhino
01-24-2013, 05:15 AM
While the depth mentioned above is generally fine, for such undemading plant as valisneria even 1 inch is not a radikal case, provided that no "digging" catfsh is there. More imoportant is substrate particle size - vals would prefer 3-4 mm, while sandy substrate is not preferrable one.

I agree that vals are very undemanding. My first planted tank was sand, and I had vals growing in it and sending runners through it just fine.

You will have to mow the lawn regularly regardless of the height of your tank. Doesn't seem to hurt the plants at all.

Aeonflame
01-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Ive grown vals like weeds in only 2 inches of substrate. Ive also seen no harm in letting them grow long once they dont block the light for other plants.

serbusfish
01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Well I dont know the exact depth but I would estimate at the back my sand is around 1 - 1.5 inches in depth, at the front it is much shallower. I do have a spare bag of sand I could put in, but the reason I kept it quite shallow was because if was worried about developing anaerobic gas pockets. I guess with plant roots running through this isnt as much of a problem?

jeffs99dime
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
but the reason I kept it quite shallow was because if was worried about developing anaerobic gas pockets.

Just run your fingers through the sand during water changes. This will also get any uneaten food /debris trapped in the sand out into the water column so you can get rid of it. Also- You can always bank the sand higher in areas of the tank that require it.

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Different types of Vals grow to different lengths. I have the Red Italians and I can cut 5 ft off them easily. You can check around and find other Vals that don't grow quite so tall. Keep in mind that Vals will die if you use Excel, as well.

I grew some in sand, too, and they grew well. You can push some of your sand to the area of where you want the vals to make it deeper in that area but I went with the 2-3" depth like most people.