PDA

View Full Version : Fires

Incredulous_Ed
10-22-2007, 08:49 PM
i don't know if this is national news, but there are some crazy fires in southern california, and they have been destroying million dollar houses. Well, I didn't think that they would make it to my area, but they are getting quite close, so We may have to evacuate. So if I'm not on for a few days, you can assume i did and maybe my house burned down.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
oh no! that sucks, hope you dont have to evacuate. What about ypur fish? what happens to them if you have to leave?

CAF
10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Come on Ed, that is just one of California's "4 Seasons"

Fires
Earthquakes
Floods
Riots

I grew up out there I remember fires happening just about every year...

On the serious side, I hope you do not need to evacuate, maybe you should go ahead and start bagging fish just in case...

Incredulous_Ed
10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
So, if i do have to evacuate, what do i do with the fish and turtle (box turtle)?

What part of CA did you grow up in chris? I've never seen any floods. earthquakes happen here but they aren't as big as a problem as some might think.

It's funny when people talk about earthquakes here: "Stay where you are. If you are outside, stay outside. If you are inside, stay inside." Basically, your screwed, lol.

CAF
10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
So, if i do have to evacuate, what do i do with the fish and turtle (box turtle)?

What part of CA did you grow up in chris? I've never seen any floods. earthquakes happen here but they aren't as big as a problem as some might think.

It's funny when people talk about earthquakes here: "Stay where you are. If you are outside, stay outside. If you are inside, stay inside." Basically, your screwed, lol.

You're down near San Diego right? I grew up in Anaheim right next to the Santa Ana River. Earthquakes, small ones probably 2 or 3 a year a big one every few years, floods, probably once or twice every couple of years, riots, every couple of years, fires, almost every year...

tropfish
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
that stinks! i hope it gets under control and u dont evactuate!

squirt_12
10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
that isn't good....i hope that you don't have to evacuate and i hope everything is alright.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 09:48 PM
i saw it on CNN, apparently a 17M dollar house went down

squirt_12
10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
i saw it on CNN, apparently a 17M dollar house went down
OMG.....that is insane...an dlike that house was prob. HUGE.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-22-2007, 09:58 PM
wow that would suck, is this another incident where they tried a controled burn but then it got out of hand? or was it totally unexpected?

Incredulous_Ed
10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
wow that would suck, is this another incident where they tried a controled burn but then it got out of hand? or was it totally unexpected?
honestly, i don't know, but i think it was a natural fire, because it is very hot, dry, and windy here.

If i have to evacute, what should i do with my fish?

squirt_12
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
honestly, i don't know, but i think it was a natural fire, because it is very hot, dry, and windy here.

If i have to evacute, what should i do with my fish?
TAKE THEM WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Erik3.8.07~
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I honestly dont know, maybe a friend or family member who lives away from the danger zone can take them temporarily, or maybe a lfs could hold them till the dangers gone.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 10:17 PM
it was caused by the heat and winds.

i remember 3 years ago there was a above 60% chance edmonton would get another tornado like in 1987 so when i had tanks then i couldnt really prepare for anything.

ed, if worse comes to worse, maybe just get a small bucket and net as many fish as you can into it. thats right away.

if you have time, board them at a LFS

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
It is on the news every hour. Shame to lose those lovely homes.....especially that 17 million dollar castle. That was quite the landmark.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
and i guess last night they had 0% of the fire contained

~Erik3.8.07~
10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
if i were you i would actually start preparing now whatever you can to take some fish with you if you have too

CAF
10-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Get the following things ready.

1. Buckets, lots of buckets.

Or... Styrofoam boxes that fish are shipped in
Bags, Rubber Bands.

Make sure you take a big air pump with gang valves and hosing so you can bubble the bags while you wait to be allowed to go home.

I did the above method while crossing the country and only lost a few fish. I would now pack the fish 1 or 2 per bag and place them in more styros than I did then.

Incredulous_Ed
10-23-2007, 12:46 AM
hmm....apparently, i'm still here. I haven't been payng much attention to the news, but no one has been evacuated near here, although some people are somewhat close to here, so i'm ready wit some personal stuff. If we are evacuating, we will be going to my aunt's house. I will bring a 5 gallon bucket filled with tank water, my filer, heater, and maybe an air pump, and bag the fish.

Litespeed
10-23-2007, 02:49 AM
I live in the East County of San Diego. Right now reports have it that over 250,000 (that's a quarter of a million people) have been evacuated in San Diego County. Over 100,000 acres have burned. Luckily only one person has died and 14 - 20 people have been hurt. They are evacuating people to Qualcomm Stadium, Del Mar Fair Grounds (which is now full) and other areas around the county. Hundreds of homes have been burned to the ground. Evacuations are still going one in more areas as time goes on. To see the areas on the news in unreal, looks like something from a movie, but worse. We are having high winds, sometimes gusting up to 70 mph in areas. Areas where there are no homes are just being allowed to burn. We don't have enough firefighters to cover everything. We are being sent help from Northern California which will help some. So far where I live the winds have been quiet and we don't have a fire close by, but that could change overnight. San Diego will survive just as we survived the fires of 2003, but it will take a long time to rebuild.

Incredulous_Ed
10-23-2007, 03:17 AM
I live in the East County of San Diego. Right now reports have it that over 250,000 (that's a quarter of a million people) have been evacuated in San Diego County. Over 100,000 acres have burned. Luckily only one person has died and 14 - 20 people have been hurt. They are evacuating people to Qualcomm Stadium, Del Mar Fair Grounds (which is now full) and other areas around the county. Hundreds of homes have been burned to the ground. Evacuations are still going one in more areas as time goes on. To see the areas on the news in unreal, looks like something from a movie, but worse. We are having high winds, sometimes gusting up to 70 mph in areas. Areas where there are no homes are just being allowed to burn. We don't have enough firefighters to cover everything. We are being sent help from Northern California which will help some. So far where I live the winds have been quiet and we don't have a fire close by, but that could change overnight. San Diego will survive just as we survived the fires of 2003, but it will take a long time to rebuild.
Amen! what part of east county are you in litespeed? I'm near chula vista, and i think i heard that's where it has just started to burn. It looks like i'll be up for a while.

digital3
10-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Man, I can smell those fires over here in Burbank where I work. I saw all the smoke coming into LA this morning. However, we're closer to the fires up north around Castaic. Good Luck, and I hope you don't have to be evacuated. :scry:

Futureboy
10-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Those fires have even been on the news over here

cocoa_pleco
10-23-2007, 03:36 AM
its on the news here constantly now, sounds pretty bad

Litespeed
10-23-2007, 09:03 AM
We live in Lakeside (east county) of San Diego. It's 2:02 am, still watching the news for any reports to evacuate. We can see the glow of the fire that is about 20 miles from us in Crest. In 2003 we could see flames on the hill, so the fire isn't to far away. We are packed and ready to go, just have to gather up our animals. This is an extremely fast moving fire so things can change within minutes. Hopefully we won't have to evacuate at all, keeping our fingers and toes crossed.

S13DWS
10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
We here in New Zealand are hearing all about the state of emergency over there. Its looking pretty bad aye man! all the best to you and your family man this stuff isnt just national its international news.

I hope you dont have to get evacuated.

cocoa_pleco
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
just a minute ago it was on the news that there was a fire in san diego at the el dehoya (sp?) indian reserve and the fire spread quite a ways. they had the containment stats of about 5 san diego fires and the most contained was only 30%

MeganL3985
10-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Droughts and fires a big issue right now......Rain! More Rain!!! :)

markbob
10-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I live down near the GA/FL line where we had all those fires in the spring. It was really creepy to come out inthe morning and see ash flakes all over everything. I know how scarry that can be and I hope everything works out for ya.

Litespeed
10-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Update just said that over 513,000 people have now been evacuated. They don't expect the fires to be contained until November 4. The winds are dying down in some area so they are able to do water and fire retardant drops which are a great help. This is the biggest evacuation since Hurricane Katrina, but I think they are doing more evacuations before the fires get into areas so people have some time to gather some items together and then get out. They are still doing reverse 911 calls telling people when to evacuate which is extremely helpful, rather then waiting for someone to knock on your door and only having seconds to get out.

S13DWS
10-24-2007, 12:32 AM
any more news on this as of today? You not been evacuated yet dude?
Still hopeing everything works out for you!

Litespeed
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Things are about the same here. Some of the fires are getting contained, while other are starting again. Last night I could see flames that had crested a hill in North Jamul, about 20 miles from us. We are still in a very safe part of the county, but there are fires basically on three sides of us-but far away. The Santa Ana winds are expected to start dying down tomorrow, which will help a lot. From my house all I can see right now is smoke. You want to think that part of it are clouds but that isn't the case unfortunately. The fires have spread onto a very large military base in the northern portion of our county and has traveled into Orange County. San Diego County has fires from one end of the county to the other.

Incredulous_Ed
10-24-2007, 11:04 PM
dudes, i am back, if any one noticed i was gone. I was evacuated. I drifted off to sleep monday night and my mother woke me up at 5 am and she was freaking out. So basically i grabbed the stuff i packed and we left. We stayed at a relative's house for the day. When was outside and it was still dark, almost have the sky was glowing red. It was very unerving. Fortuanetly, that morning the wind died down enough for the helicopters to drop water down. So my area is safe at the moment, but many people i know are iin danger areas.

CAF
10-24-2007, 11:11 PM
How are your fish. I'm glad you are ok.

MeganL3985
10-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Hope it stays died down!

S13DWS
10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
thats the truth megs! Hope all works out for you and all people you know out there. Infact really just everyone. I know how peeved id be if my house burnt down man hope your all safe and sound!

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2007, 01:56 PM
woah, last night i saw on the news san diego got one of those rare fire tornadoes.

apparently they need so many firefighters for the fire that theyre using canadian fire jets too. the good thing though is the winds have died down

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Incredulous.........how unnerving to flee from home wondering if there will be anything to return to.

MI fire fighters left for CA this week but I have to think fire fighters from other states needed to be called in there sooner. They are now saying had they had more planes and choopers, that possibly it would not have gotten out of hand so fast.

The winds have been the enemy since day one and of course the fires have their own wind and there is just no stopping it.

I feel so bad for everyone. So many have had to leave and so many homes destroyed. That whole area will be devastated for years and years.

I expect insurance companies will now get their heads together and try to think of ways to not cover people for their losses! They sure screwed the folks over after Katrina.

Incredulous_Ed
10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I thank you everybody. Supposedly the fires aren't going to be fully contained until nov. 4, so it pretty much sucks. The wind has almost calmed down, but now it is blowing the other way and the fire is spreading towards some of the mountains. If the fire had gotten in the valey near my house, that would have been it. There is so much brush it is incredible. My house would have burned to the ground if that had happened.

spudbuds
10-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Glad to hear you are safe Ed. Hopefully that will continue. I can't even imagine what that kind of situation would feel like.

- Bill (aka Incredulous_Ed's biggest fan)