PDA

View Full Version : May be setting up a new tank...opinions please!

mooveebuff
01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi all - It's been a while since I was on. I had a 29 gallon that I was using as a neon tank, but I have since moved up to a 60 gallon tank so I could increase school sizes, etc....should have started big in the first place.

Speaking of big...I have the opportunity to score a nice 125 gallon tank which is making me want to go back to my roots and have a nice goldfish tank in which I'd like to have about 6 fancy goldies (probably 2 each black moors, orandas, and lionheads).

It's been a while since I set up a goldfish tank, so there are many new filters out there than what I used to use before. My question is this: if I were to get a 125 gallon setup with the anticipated stock of 6 fancy goldfish...what should I be looking at as far as filtration goes?

I'm currently looking at a Fluval FX5 canister filter, rated for tanks up to 400 gallons and I'd like to get a good HOB filter so I can have two good filters running at the same time. I don't have any real experience with large HOB filters though...do any of you have any recommedations that I should look into? Does this sound like a good setup considering the size and my stocking preference?

Feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions. I'm in no hurry with this one. I'm going to take my time and do it right. Thanks!

Goes to 11!
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
thumbs2: I think a FX5 is an excellent choice for the tankl & stock and for an HOB to go with it IMO there is only one choice... An Aquaclear 110.

They are versatile, Durable, Effective & have good flow and capacity, It's win/win/win. [& I am confident the '+1s' will follow:ssmile:]
:22:

Cliff
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
+2 to the above

Those two filters should be enough for a high bio-load. I really do like my FX5 and I have always like aquaclear HOB filter

ScottishFish
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
What can I say, +1 to mr 850R thumbs2: thumbs2: thumbs2:

Azurescriber
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Forgive me if you know this already, but I guess the only thing to add is make sure the decorations aren't pointy/sharp, and the substrate (if you choose to use it) is far too big to fit in a mouth.

I've heard they enjoy playing in bubbles.

Lady10Godiva
01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
If you go with an aquaclear 110 it will fit just fine. Only certain hob filters will fit on the platic lip of the tank. Others that I know fit are a whisper 60 and aqueon 55/75- though both of those take cartidges and arent as versitile.

mooveebuff
01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, eveybody...it is much appreciated. I really liked everything I read about the FX5, and I like the Fluval 206 I have, so I just wanted to know if t was a good option going up that much in size. I'm also glad to hear the Aquaclear 110 is a good bet as well. I use an Aquaclear 70 on my 60 with the Fluval 206, so I'm familiar with it...I just wasn't sure if it would give me enough filtration with the FX5 for that sze of a tank and for goldfish.

I pulld the trigger on the tank, and I'll have it today. I'm really excited about it...the 60 galon Ihave now is the bigest tank I've ever owned, so this is a real jump for me!

Thanks also for the input about the goldfish...I'm not planning on having much in th way of decrations...just some plants and maybe a few things that catch my eye, and I'll probably be using sand for the substrate. I'll have lot of bubblers...they do like to play in the bubbles!