PDA

View Full Version : My little boy wants Endlers!

kes
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
I've just set up my sons first aquarium (yay!) It's been set up with all water and established filter from my large tank so it was pretty much good to go.

To get him going I've given him a school of platys (2 males 4 females) and my pair of long fin rosy barbs.

He really wants some Endlers in there but I'm not sure they'll be ok?

What do you think?

Also...he insisted on multicoloured gravel and although we soaked it and washed it for ages, it has dyed the water slightly..how long does it take to clear or should I put a bit of carbon in to help break it down?

Thanks for your advice friends! :1luvu:

CAF
10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
What size is the tank?

Go ahead and filter with carbon to take out the dye.

Personally I would do a species only tank with Endler's, however that is a personal preference. They should be fine with the fish you listed, however with the barbs and platies in the tank you wouldn't get as many fry...

kes
10-22-2007, 08:20 PM
It's a rectangular 20g, do you think it's up to it's maximum residency?

CAF
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Tall or Long? Either way you can add some endlers. If it is a long, you can a few more as there is more surface area. I'd go with 2 trios either way personally.

SkarloeysMom
10-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't mean to highjack this thread but I've been thinking of adding a couple of Ender's to my 20g. I just looked them up and they are just beautiful. I'm not even sure I can find them locally or even how much they cost. I have one lonely guppy who I thought might team up with some Endler's. Would that work? and how much do the males usually cost and are they easy to find?

kes
10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know how much they are over there, but in England they seem pretty cheap? Apparently you have to be careful they're not guppy hybrids because they may be sterile. The males are so beautiful!

CAF
10-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't mean to highjack this thread but I've been thinking of adding a couple of Ender's to my 20g. I just looked them up and they are just beautiful. I'm not even sure I can find them locally or even how much they cost. I have one lonely guppy who I thought might team up with some Endler's. Would that work? and how much do the males usually cost and are they easy to find?
Male or female guppy? If you want to hybridize them, cool go for it, otherwise uh no....

A trio of pure class "N" Endler depending on the strain involved goes for anywhere from 15 USD to 50 USD.

country_boy454
10-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Well if anyone was in mn i would be willing to let a few endlers go for fairly cheap. I recently aquired about 100 of them. I have gotten about 50 fry so far from them and have had them about 3 weeks. The previous owner claims they are pure and that she breed them all summer.

SkarloeysMom
10-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Male or female guppy? If you want to hybridize them, cool go for it, otherwise uh no....

A trio of pure class "N" Endler depending on the strain involved goes for anywhere from 15 USD to 50 USD.

I have a male guppy. No thanks on the breeding thang! I don't have time to deal with that right now and don't really know if I ever want to try it.