PDA

View Full Version : Root growth issues

Limming
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I've had my Aniubas and Java fern attached to rocks and drift wood for about a month now with rubber bands (its all I had at the time). The aniubas has been growing new leaves and the java fern have been growing off shoots, they all look good. The problem is that they still haven't attached to the rocks and wood. I'm using Tetra FloraPride dosing 10 ml every week after my water change. The tank is a 20 gallon with the stock 100 watt LED light.

Goes to 11!
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
A few new leaves in a month is not bad for an anubius at all IMO.

Although possibly your lighting is not everything you think it is also, More details about your light wouldn't hurt.

I can say you need to be a bit more patient with your expectations. Wait it out, These things take more than a month.
:22:

Limming
01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Its a small LED light that is 100 watts from the kit I got. That's all the info I have I know the lighting sucks but its what I've got so low light only plants. I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. Roughly how long should it be before the roots start to attach?

Goes to 11!
01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Its a small LED light that is 100 watts from the kit I got.

Yes, The kit...
:idea: Do you know if the kit has a name or a brand? Or the name of the store it came from? Possibly a link to the actual product from that stores website..?

Roughly how long should it be before the roots start to attach?
This depends on multiple factors, One of which is obviously if the lighting is suitable...

Lady Hobbs
01-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Slower growers. I wouldn't look for them to attach in less than 4 months.

Lady Hobbs
01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
In addition, rocks can not be smooth but must have rough area's for the roots to grab hold. Just tie the plants to the rocks or driftwood with fishing line and forget about it. I have some that has probably been tied on for a year. One day when I have it out, I'll clip off the fishing line but it doesn't hurt anything and can't be seen so it's just not an issue.

Limming
01-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Yes, The kit...
:idea: Do you know if the kit has a name or a brand? Or the name of the store it came from? Possibly a link to the actual product from that stores website..?

This depends on multiple factors, One of which is obviously if the lighting is suitable...

It is the Marineland LED 20 gallon kit. I'll be up grading the lights at some point hopefully over the summer.