PDA

View Full Version : Java fern....algae/disease problem or babies?

free2be_any1
01-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi, so its been about 3 months since i started my new 37 gal tank and my java fern has two leaves now that have like greenish fuzz around the edges and like tiny brownish/green dots on the surface. is this algae or something bad that i should be removing those two leaves or could it possibly be spores/plantlets? if needed i can get a pic probably tomorrow and sorry if this question sounds dumbish, I'm still new into the hobby.
thanks
~Michael

madagascariensis
01-18-2013, 03:01 AM
if the fuzz is brown and originates somewhere on the leaf surface(not on the edges)
or there even are little green knobs protruding from the same spot as the fuzz then you likely have java fern plantlets. let them grow a couple of leaves and good roots before detaching and replanting. if it looks like anything else then it likely is algae.

free2be_any1
01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
i think it is most likely algae then. should i just prune those leaves off then? none of my other plants seem to have it and i'd prefer to keep it that way lol

madagascariensis
01-18-2013, 10:25 PM
in my opinion pruning the leaves will hurt the fern(a slow grower) more than the algae, whose spores still are present in your tank and will simply find another spot to grow. find the cause of the algae(clues to be found in what type of algae it is) and fix that will be a better choice in my opinion.

free2be_any1
01-19-2013, 05:26 PM
okay will do! i dont wanna lose this plant, its my first java fern and i really hope for it to fill in the area in the tank over time!

funkman262
01-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Can you post a pic?

Cermet
01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
If you have algae, what are your nitrate levels? How long are the lights on, and what type (color/wattage) lights are they?

fishmommie
01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Not to change the subject but I just noticed your signature line. I'm hoping you're aware that you've got stocking issues with your 37. Not meaning to preach but do you have plans to move some of those fish as they grow? A 30 gallon tank is about the smallest size for 1 angel and you've got 4 angels in a 37 gall with MANY other fish.
Just giving you a heads up that you're going to run into trouble with that many fish in that small of a tank.

Also, your rainbow shark is going to get up to 6 inches. He belongs in a minimum 48 inch long tank.

Good luck!

Lady Hobbs
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Oh boy! Good catch fishmommie. That shark can not stay in that 20 gallon, either, as well as two gourami's together.