PDA

View Full Version : American Flagfish compatibility?

koaladarshana
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
I saw some american flagfish at my LFS today and I'm in love! I was told by an employee that they'd be compatible with my current stock...

pygmy cories
endlers
galaxy rasboras
cardinal tetras (I would re-home these for flagfish, however)

... but I was skeptical! Knowing all too well that I should do my research and avoid impulse buys... I came across some info saying they are peaceful, other saying they are too aggressive for community tanks...

Basically, what do I need to know about these beautiful killies? Thanks guys!

madagascariensis
01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Flagfish just are one of those fish that are really unpredictable. Some have no problems with their flagfish, others report predatory, nippy, aggressive tendencies. However,given the significant size discrepancy between a fully grown flagfish and the rest of your stock, as well as the aggression that seems to occur with every second individual who buys a flagfish, I really would not risk putting a flagfish with the rest of your fish.

koaladarshana
01-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Good to know... I'll pass on the flagfish for now... I'm way more fond of my cories, endlers and rasboras.

Muchas gracias!

steeler58
01-17-2013, 06:35 AM
One of our most colorful native fish.

ScottishFish
01-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Am I right in saying they also prefer slightly cooler temps?

madagascariensis
01-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Yes. They are temperate fish actually so they won't mind temperatures down to 18 edges Celsius, and possibly even lower. Conversely though they come from shallow swamps that heat up fast and don't mind really high temperatures either, although high temps may increase aggression.

UncleWillie
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
They are pretty tolerant of a wide range of temperatures. Kept them for five years and bred them for about three years. They would be fine in an outdoor tub in late spring in water temps around 58-62* F, and also fine in the high 80s in August. Like everyone said, they are unpredictable. I kept a male/female pair in a community tank with no problems. But I've also kept 3 males and 8 females in a community tank with mixed results. Some of the larger males were very territorial towards same species and even larger tankmates of other species.

Cool fish, but I'd have to respectfully disagree that they are one of the most colorful North American native fish. Darters, sunfish and breeding minnows can hurt the eyes - they are almost so colorful. Hehe, just my opinion..:shappy:

mermaidwannabe
01-18-2013, 11:55 PM
As soon as I add a lot more surface cover and more hiding places in my 65, I plan to try some of these out. Assuming I can even get them.

My primary concern is what kind of threat they might pose to my docile little weather loaches, of which I have five.

The loaches have long ago staked out their hiding places.

Anyone have experience with flagfish and dojos?

Loller
03-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Dojo loaches? These produce more amonia than the regular tropical fish, I believe. They also eat babies if they are big enough.

Don't get me wrong, dojos are awesome. I have 3 in my 200g pond, but I'm pretty sure they have eaten some baby platy.

Edit: Just noticed you have 5 dojos in a 65g. This is a great size for them. Dojos get up to 8 inches and a 65 will be barely suitable.
I think you should either take extreme care of the water if you go with the 5 dojos, or you could go with 8-12 black kuhli loaches since these rarely even hit 4 inches and are very nice, not to mention, commonly cheap. However, I don't know if kuhlis are as hardy as dojos.

KingFisher
03-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Loller, this thread is about American Flagfish, not dojo loaches.

mermaidwannabe
04-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Dojo loaches? These produce more amonia than the regular tropical fish, I believe. They also eat babies if they are big enough.

Don't get me wrong, dojos are awesome. I have 3 in my 200g pond, but I'm pretty sure they have eaten some baby platy.

Edit: Just noticed you have 5 dojos in a 65g. This is a great size for them. Dojos get up to 8 inches and a 65 will be barely suitable.
I think you should either take extreme care of the water if you go with the 5 dojos, or you could go with 8-12 black kuhli loaches since these rarely even hit 4 inches and are very nice, not to mention, commonly cheap. However, I don't know if kuhlis are as hardy as dojos.

Oops! I wasn't trying to hijack the thread -- I merely wanted input as to whether American Flagfish would be compatible with my dojos. Any chance they could be harmed by them?

Loller, there is a separate forum here devoted entirely to loaches. Your posting there could be helpful.

-- mermaid