PDA

View Full Version : Here we go... it's spreading...

SomethingIsFishy
01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
After starting my 5.5 planted tank my other tank looked, well, fake. I decided to go low tech planted in that one too...

The tank is a standard 10 gallon (that's as big as I can go in this apartment... grrr) with a lone dwarf gourami. There was an assortment of plastic plants and fake driftwood. The plastic plants are all gone and have been replaced with a huge bunch of unidentified floating plants (gourami absolutely loves them!) and one java fern from my 5.5. The driftwood will be replaced with real stuff soon and I will be adding more low tech plants.

I am hoping the plants will do ok in regular gravel, changing substrates sounds like a rather daunting task. I will be using liqiud ferts, and possibly root tabs... your thoughts??

Lighting is one 15 watt T8.

Pics coming this afternoon...

funkman262
01-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Many people have success with regular substrate instead of plant-substrate (like soil, ecocomplete, fluorite, etc.), especially in low-tech tanks with low-light plants. I think the only time people have issues with gravel is when trying to grow certain carpeting plants that prefer sand. If you do decide to go with a plant-substrate, I doubt it would be too much hassle to switch it out, but like I said, probably not necessary in your case. Looks like you have a fun project going. You should also post a pic of the 5.5g tank so we can see what inspired you to convert the 10g.

Strider199
01-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Plus 1 to the above post.

Keep it simple with live plants and you'll be satisfied with the results.

As funkman262 said, "You should also post a pic of the 5.5g tank so we can see what inspired you to convert the 10g."
A picture is worth a thousand word.thumbs2:

vafa
01-17-2013, 03:23 AM
And btw if you want to add a soil you could by just adding it to your gravel if its not too high

Goes to 11!
01-17-2013, 03:43 AM
I'd wager you have not done this as you describe it below?

And btw if you want to add a soil you could by just adding it to your gravel if its not too high

:ssuprised: ...If you want a mud puddle :help: :hmm3grin2orange:. Do not do this without much research and some plans to cap it with something.

What do you mean by 'regular gravel'? Pea gravel? or the smaller sized aquarium rocks that are sometimes painted like clown vomit? Pics please. Changing substrate in a 10G is nbd btw.
:22:

funkman262
01-17-2013, 03:53 AM
What do you mean by 'regular gravel'? Pea gravel? or the smaller sized aquarium rocks that are sometimes painted like clown vomit?

Stop hatin' bro. My favorite tank is my blacklight tank using "clown vomit" gravel, various colored marbles, neon plants and glofish.

mommy1
01-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Mixing gravel and soil will result in a muddy mess. Like 850r says it has to be properly capped and not just mixed in. Also, if you use the wrong kind it could create even more trouble. Vafa, you shouldn't give advice you obviously haven't researched or know from experience.
SomethingIsFishy, aquarium gravel is fine for plants and all you have to do is supplement with ferts. You will have to research the type of plant you decide to buy to see if they are heavy root feeders, which will need root tabs or if they get their nutrients from the water column, which will need liquid ferts.

Funkman... to each their own I suppose.. I had clown vomit gravel in a tank once too... I was 5 years old.

Goes to 11!
01-17-2013, 04:05 AM
Stop hatin' bro. My favorite tank is my blacklight tank using "clown vomit" gravel, various colored marbles, neon plants and glofish.
:rollingred: Your defensiveness about your decor choice speaks for itself but for the record:

My statement made no reference to any connotation either positive or negative. It was descriptive and obviously effective since you knew which size gravel I meant.

SomethingIsFishy
01-17-2013, 04:13 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=109360
Here's the journal for the 5.5.

I have always liked the "natural" look, so the 10 has a nice lighter brown pea sized smooth gravel. No offence to the clown puke lovers, if that's your thing go for it. :hmm3grin2orange:

I don't want to have a glass box full of mud, and I don't want to get to crazy with the plant selection, so it looks like the current gravel will work fine. I will use root tabs if I plant any root feeders...

The gourami is so thrilled with his new plants. I'm seeing a lot more of him! It's cool to see him weaving thru the "foliage"...

Pics coming soon... I promise...

vafa
01-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Mixing gravel and soil will result in a muddy mess. Like 850r says it has to be properly capped and not just mixed in. Also, if you use the wrong kind it could create even more trouble. Vafa, you shouldn't give advice you obviously haven't researched or know from experience.
SomethingIsFishy, aquarium gravel is fine for plants and all you have to do is supplement with ferts. You will have to research the type of plant you decide to buy to see if they are heavy root feeders, which will need root tabs or if they get their nutrients from the water column, which will need liquid ferts.

Funkman... to each their own I suppose.. I had clown vomit gravel in a tank once too... I was 5 years old.
actully i have done this myself with soil for aquariums
to quick to judge bro

mommy1
01-17-2013, 04:17 AM
actully i have done this myself with soil for aquariums
to quick to judge bro
Judging from the many posts you have on the forum, and the one in this thread, I am not judging too quickly... Bro.

Last time I checked, I was not a bro, but just to be sure, I will go check again now.

funkman262
01-17-2013, 04:23 AM
I see where this is going lol.

From my own experience, soil is not easily added to an aquarium. I started my tank with soil topped off with a 1" cap of sand before I even filled the tank up with water and it still wasn't fun to deal with. After not too long of trimming and replanting and moving plants around, my entire sand cap just mixed in with the soil, and then any slight disturbance kicked the soil up into the water column. All it took was a fish swimming too fast above the substrate any my tank became a muddy mess. I would not advice someone to ever simply add soil on top of existing substrate. Besides, soil is best used as a base substrate since that's where the plants would be acquiring its nutrients through the roots, so putting it over inert gravel would be counter-intuitive and quite pointless.

SomethingIsFishy
01-17-2013, 04:26 AM
Easy guys! No throwing mud at each other allowed in my thread! I won't be using dirt as a substrate in this tank so that argument belongs some where else... Funkman posted as I was typing this with some good advice on why dirt is a bad choice for this tank and where I want to go with it. Let's leave it at that and move on...

Goes to 11!
01-17-2013, 04:34 AM
I see where this is going lol.

From my own experience, soil is not easily added to an aquarium. I started my tank with soil topped off with a 1" cap of sand before I even filled the tank up with water and it still wasn't fun to deal with. After not too long of trimming and replanting and moving plants around, my entire sand cap just mixed in with the soil, and then any slight disturbance kicked the soil up into the water column. All it took was a fish swimming too fast above the substrate any my tank became a muddy mess. I would not advice someone to ever simply add soil on top of existing substrate. Besides, soil is best used as a base substrate since that's where the plants would be acquiring its nutrients through the roots, so putting it over inert gravel would be counter-intuitive and quite pointless.
Yup, Mud puddle.

SomethingIsFishy
01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag125/pattonjd29/101_1564_zps74af865d.jpg
Here's a "before" shot. The blurry fish in that pic are zebra danios who have been rehomed because (a) they are too active for a 10 gal tank and (b) they were stressing my gourami.

Will upload more pics soon...

SomethingIsFishy
01-17-2013, 04:12 PM
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag125/pattonjd29/101_1642_zpsc771b007.jpg
Floaters added, plastic plants still in there...
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag125/pattonjd29/101_1643_zps4c3a46bb.jpg
All fake plants out except for the ones that are part of the fake driftwood and java fern in.
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag125/pattonjd29/101_1652_zps27a24680.jpg
Current full shot with water sprite added.

mommy1
01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Well done, that is a nice looking tank.

SomethingIsFishy
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks! It's not done yet though... watch for updates...

Triton
01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Do you plan to add any other fish to it? Or just sticking with the one DG

ddavis1979
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
That is a very nice tank!

Are you still planning and doing shrimps? If so what kind are you going with.

I have recently be fascinated with the Yellow Neon Shrimp, Blue Pearl Shrimp, and Orange Sakura Shrimp.

I have had huge success with low tech semi-planted tank. I have a 55-gal with 1 bag is flourite substrate, with some regular aquarium gravel ontop. I use a 48" 6700K bulb and a 48" ColorMax Bulb about 10-12 hours a day. I have minimal trace algae that is quickly eaten my snails, and algea eaters. I vacuum the substrate once every 10-14 days and I dont vacuum too close to the plants. The fish waste feeds them nicely and they are growing very nicely.

Good luck sir, and i want to see shrimp!

**on a side note, I think the term clown puke does infer a negative opinion, I just happen to agree with that opinion.

** momma1 - can I call you "bra"? :)

You would have to do some serious work and research on your soil in order to avoid a mud pit. I dont think its worth it.

Goes to 11!
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Much improved, I really like it. thumbs2:

SomethingIsFishy
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I will be adding red cherry shrimp to the 5.5 around the end of the month.

I am not against having other fish with the DG. If anyone has any suggestions for tankmates for a DG in a 10 gal feel free to share... thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I like it too. When you have a gravel bottom, another nice way of doing tanks is simply to attach anubias to the driftwood as well as java fern. You really not need to "plant" it at all to appear very planted.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Here is a photo of java and anubias attached to wood. And I have plant substrate. (The rest of the tank is planted.)

Gogi
01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Looking good so far. Very interested to see the progress.

Banna plants would be a good choice for your tank. They are med to high light plants but in a 10 gallon they will do great in any light. Also your gravel is perfect for it since you dont bury the "bananas". They send out roots to anchor themselves.

SomethingIsFishy
01-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the compliments! Gonna add more java ferns for sure, maybe some anubias, some moss... I'm probably gonna add a small school of harleys...

mommy1
01-18-2013, 02:41 AM
** momma1 - can I call you "bra"? :)
:slap:
I am looking forward to seeing the updates on your tank.

SomethingIsFishy
01-23-2013, 08:58 PM
I have six harleys drip acclimating right now!!! I picked up one of those styrofoam baitfish buckets with a lid to acclimate them in and I'm glad it's got a lid because these guys are a little jumpy... I don't think they like the bucket...

SomethingIsFishy
01-24-2013, 03:41 AM
Good news: the drip acclimation went well (first time I've done it) and the new guys are happy in their new home. They colored back up almost instantly after releasing them, and greedily took some food!

Bad news: I left my camera at work so no pictures for you guys... sorry... :scry:

Limming
01-24-2013, 04:32 AM
Drip acclimation works fantastically defiantly the best way to acclimate.

SomethingIsFishy
01-24-2013, 04:39 AM
I agree! They weren't stressed at all when I released them. I won't ever float a bag again...

steeler58
01-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Nice tank you did another great job. Glad you went with Harleys, one of the all time great aquarium fish.

SomethingIsFishy
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Current fts:
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag125/pattonjd29/101_1658_zps20c0b296.jpg
Added some anubias. Not sure what kind it is, was labeled "assorted anubias". Couldn't get a good pic of the harleys, but I'm uploading a video now...

SomethingIsFishy
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
XpmFZfUuiAU&

SomethingIsFishy
01-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Well the water sprite isn't doing so well in this tank. Took off like crazy in my shrimp tank but isn't doing anything in here... Everything else seems to be doing just fine. I did get two nice driftwood pieces to replace the fake stuff... one is a stump shaped piece, and the other is a longer piece with tons of awesome crevices perfect for planting. I'm thinking java fern and more anubias... I will be working on the tank rescape on Wednesday, so watch for pics...

SomethingIsFishy
01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Quick shot of the new driftwood!

SomethingIsFishy
01-31-2013, 05:54 PM
More pics...
Anubias attached to stump...

FTS with old fake driftwood out and new real driftwood in...

...and a $17 surprise! 20 long! If the landlord ok's it everyone in the 10 will move into the 20, the shrimp will inherit the 10, and the 5.5 will be a QT.