PDA

View Full Version : Pellia and lights

phatchuck
01-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Looking to increase my green in my 55g, and I really like the look of mosses. I have a little java moss growing and I ordered some Christmas moss which is on the way. I was looking at pellia. Any tips or feedback on this plant?

I also have just the basic fluorescent lights that came with my tank kit. Should I invest in some bulbs that will promote growth? What's the deal with CO2? :help:

bethyMT
01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Hopefully me posting here will spark a bit of interest in your post. I do not know the specifics of pellia, but I have heard that it takes high light. The flourescents you have on your tank will likely not be enough...if they are the standard T8s, you won't be able to grow much. My 55 had two T8s, and they were sadly lacking...couldn't grow much of anything. If you are serious about growing stuff, you'd probably want to upgrade the lights. There are lots of options...look for watts per gallon (2+ wpg for medium light plants) as a starting point, but that doesn't apply to LEDs. It's complicated, there are some other threads on here about that.

As far as CO2 goes, I have no idea. I dose flourish excel though, which is supposed to be a substitute for CO2.

genocidex
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
For high light in a 55g i would go with dual t5ho lights both with 6500k bulbs. And glass tops. I dont think you would get much to grow with stock lights. Other than duck weed, java moss java fern anubis and hornwort.... Those plants like the lower light any ways. I dont knkw how the xmas moss will do with the light you have either...

phatchuck
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, I invested in a two bulb T5HO fixture. I have one 10,000K and one 6,500K 54W each. It's only been a few days, but the Christmas moss I put in there the day I changed the lighting looks great. I actually think it's grown a little bit already. I haven't noticed anything with the other plants, but they at least appear greener in the new light. Can't say the same for the Dwarf baby tears. They are already starting to look less green.

genocidex
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
just a warning, that 10000k light will work for plants fine but will also cause an algae break out. its advised to go with 2 6500k-6700k bulbs instead of the higher.