PDA

View Full Version : Anubias Petite nana

Greentoads41
01-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Hello again for another extremely interesting plant thread by Greentoads41. thumbs2: I ordered an anubias petite from Aquaticmagic in Malaysia on December the 23, and today it arrived. In the meantime, I read up on care, planting strategies, and overall requirements for this little plant. However, I still wanted to make this thread in order to be sure that what I am doing so far is correct, and what I plan to do is acceptable.
So when it arrived, I took it out (it was in really good condition actually) and attached it to a rock with a rubber band. The rock is only about 1 cm longer than the rhizome, I'd say. I tried my best to wrap the roots around the rock as a bit of encouragement for the nana. I then decided to put it in my silica sand substrate, high lit, low planted 10 gallon tank, as opposed to my low lit, wisteria dominant, gravel substrate 30 gal. That tank is a whole nother story, which I would probably elucidate if I could figure out how to submit another entry in my blog.
Anyway, I buried the rock + plant, with the rhizome still showing, roots and 90% of the rock engulfed in sand, and leaves pointed toward the light above. Now, project in the future, say, 2 months. What can I expect this plant to look like, and what maintenance will i probably need to do for it? Find it a bigger rock? Just sit it on top of the sand, instead of buried? I also heard this plant was algae prone because of slow growth, especially in high light, where algae will flourish in this low planted tank. Should I get an ottocinclus? Current stock is 4 scissortail rasboras, 2 glowlight tetras, 1 emerald green cory (actually brochis splendens) that I will soon either give away, or give him a school of 5 or 6 in my lightly stocked 30 gal. At least, that's the plan. Plans can change! Filter is aqueon 20, and an airstone. Water changes weekly. Parameters ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate less than 20 ppm.
:laundry:

madagascariensis
01-13-2013, 03:11 AM
the plant is really slow growing, so in 2 months it will probably have a couple more leaves and otherwise be almost unchanged. the high light and resulting algae will likely be a problem, but only get an algae eater when there actually is something for them to eat, and also, otos will need to have a couple of buddies to feel comfortable. you actually could have trimmed the already existing roots because these will no longer attach to the rock. the plant will attach itself with newly formed roots instead.

Greentoads41
01-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Huh I didn't know that lol. Why won't they attach?
I wouldn't have to worry about the ottos not having anything other algae to feast. I manually clean the sides every week from what I think are diatoms, which I heard ottos love. The brown algae used to be really bad, but not by the end of the week there is only a small manageable amount to clean, but an amount nonetheless. So the petite would just be another item for the ottos to clean. Do you think my tank could withstand the bioload of 2 or 3 of these, or not? Thanks

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2013, 05:59 AM
A rubber band will not last for long. It will rot off in water. They attach much better to driftwood but will attach to rock unless the rock is smooth. I use fishing line for attaching mine but left them tied on my driftwood for almost a year before cutting the line away.

GuppyAteMyDog
01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
dude anubias will attach to anything given good treatment and time , here is a pic of a piece i did on a smooth rock tied with rubber bands , the good thing about rubber bands is that they're easy to use and by the time they rot off the plant should be well established (the rock i stole from a display piece outside a mall :hmm3grin2orange: )

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/15669_4574569160843_1142073166_n.jpg

in fact i'm currently working out how i could attach some to this skull (also trying to preserve it so that it doesn't disintegrate over time , i'm stumped as to an aquarium safe method thus far -_- )
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531938_4623216657000_1072849928_n.jpg

Greentoads41
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
i'll try and post a pic of what I've got going right now with my petite.:11: And actually, I just found out its an anubias bartieri petite, not nana. My bad guys!thumbs2:

GuppyAteMyDog
01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
here is a piece i just did , it should take bout 6-7weeks to firmly attach and the rubber band will rot and snap off on it's own by then , iv'e head of using superglue but i think allowing it to attach naturally would give it a better look and fishline may be messy work with and could pinch and sever the rhizome if it's tied to tightly , in my book rubber bands are the way to go :shaggy:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/73362_4701200686552_217189154_n.jpg

Greentoads41
01-14-2013, 04:40 AM
Nice pic! Doesn't seem to be much roots yet, though.thumbs2:
The only thing I'm was a little worried about is the band being a bit too tight so the connection between the roots and leaves were slightly severed on the rhizome. It looked a little sketchy to me, so i moved the rubber band back a little bit so most of the roots and rhizome are directly connected to the leaves with no rubber band between them. Btw I totally spaced out on the picture today,:14: I'll see what I can do in the days ahead. Thanks!

GuppyAteMyDog
02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
here is an update on the piece

Greentoads41
02-12-2013, 04:52 AM
looking good. Mine died because I messed with it too much and the leaves came off and yea it died. An error on my part and lesson learned. So good job so far, just let it do its thing!