PDA

View Full Version : Plant classification

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 12:21 AM
What plant is this? I previously believed it to be amazon sword, but it has a definite rhizome. Now I think it might be a big anubias nana or lanceolata. It's taken this plant over 2 years to get this big. One pic is of the plant from ways away and the other is what i believe to be the rhizome. I wouldn't have put it in the foreground if I had known it would get so big lol.

funkman262
01-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Looks like an anubias sp. to me as well, not sure which one though.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks! What makes you think so?

funkman262
01-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Just looking at the rhizome formation and shapes of leaves. I have some experience with anubias and that one seems to growing in the same pattern that mine would.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 01:46 AM
That's helpful. Dare i ask if you have any tips in propagating it?:questionmarks:

funkman262
01-10-2013, 02:19 AM
I would just use a sharp razor-blade and cut the rhizome to split the plant. If you don't like it in the front, just remove the entire plant, slice it into two or more pieces, and place them in more aesthetically pleasing locations.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 03:03 AM
I think I'll do that. It has actually never been taken out of its pot. Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2013, 03:30 AM
I am not seeing anything that looks like a rhizome. I am seeing roots.

A rhizome sprouts roots all up and down the stem, not all coming out of the bottom of the plant like you have.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127829

funkman262
01-10-2013, 03:50 AM

A rhizome sprouts roots all up and down the stem, not all coming out of the bottom of the plant like you have.

I clearly see a rhizome in the second pic, and the roots are sprouting throughout the length of the rhizome.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 03:56 AM

But the thick, green trunk like thing: you don't think that's a rhizome? I wonder myself because there are roots growing off the trunk until a good 7 inches above the substrate. Both leaves and roots grow right next to each other, like the anubias in your link. It also occurred to me that it seems like the roots are coming out of the bottom of the plant because it has grown virtually straight up in my low light conditions. But then again, that also might mean it's not an anubias. Maybe partly my fault for not getting a better picture or angles lol. :biggrin:

funkman262
01-10-2013, 03:58 AM
You could always just pull it out of the tank and get a better look at it. It won't stress out the plant or anything.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 04:16 AM
It won't? I've taken water wisteria out for just 30 min. before, it dried up, and kind of faded out after it was replanted. Then again, wisteria is a totally different structure than the plants we are discussing here. :ssmile:

funkman262
01-10-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm not advising leaving the plant out for that length of time, but there's no problem with briefly removing plants from an aquarium, otherwise there would be no way to transport them. Having sold plenty of plants myself, I'm used to constantly removing plants, laying them out, taking pictures, prepping them for shipping or pick-up, etc. With anubias, I would have them out of water for 15 minutes or so while I cut them up, glue them to rocks and wait for the glue to dry.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 04:36 AM
I'm not advising leaving the plant out for that length of time, but there's no problem with briefly removing plants from an aquarium, otherwise there would be no way to transport them.

I see lol, that makes sense.

Why do you glue the anubias onto the rocks? Is that just how you sell them?

funkman262
01-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Why do you glue the anubias onto the rocks? Is that just how you sell them?

Since they can't be buried, it just made it easier to manage them after I ran out of room in my driftwood to stick them in. I kept them spread throughout the tank bottom. I wouldn't sell them with the rocks though. I would just cut large sections off of them to sell and put what's left on the rock back into the tank to grow back.

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2013, 05:21 AM
The leaves look anubias but the root area was throwing me off. Cut off dead leaves when you see them like that. It only takes away from the appearance and pulls nutrients away from the the rest of the plant.

I tied mine to driftwood with fishing line. Whatever works.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Oh ok. Thanks for all your help, by the way. :hmm3grin2orange:

bethyMT
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
That looks very much like an anubias congensis (I hope i got that spelling right). Long, strappy leaves that point upward, or upward-ish.

I have one of those as well, and it looks very similar to what you have...it's rhizome also seems to grow vertically, which makes it hard to tell what it is.

Greentoads41
01-10-2013, 11:24 PM
My plant and pictures online of the congensis do look very similar lol. That's an accurate guess. To propagate, I was planning on cutting up the rhizome and attaching the roots to a rock. the rhizome would be placed horizontally on top of the rock, with some leaves attached to the rhizome as well.