PDA

View Full Version : finding a pair of oscars

Arkie
10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
ok, so i have three oscars, two red tigers, one is 20 cm long, the 2nd is only 15cm, and an albino tiger who is 15 cm also.
i have got a 4 ft tank cycling as we speak so i can transfer them as soon as its ready and was wondering when i buy a couple more, should i introduce them into the tank first then put mine in with them in the hope of finding a pair??? or put mine in first then the new ones?
how long will it take for me to see if they have paired up?
and also how big do oscars have to be before they can breed?
and if a red tiger oscar pairs up with an albino will some of the babies come out black and some albino?
thanks in advance :22:

TowBoater
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
There about to big to pair easily, what you should have done is gotten about 6 as young babys and let them pair and got rid of the other 4.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
my oscars paired off when they were 16 and 19 cm long. when they were little always the bigger one wanted to rip the other one apart! and i separated them for months using a net between them somehow that they can see eachother. after months once i saw that the bigger one started to digging gravels and shake himself. i put away the net and they did some beautiful actions against eachother. changing their colors, puffing up their gills, open their mouths extremely, ... and paired off.

though the common way is what kuli said.

and as far as i heard, for breeding the female should be 1 year old to be ready to lay eggs and male 1.5 year to be able to fertilize the eggs properly. a breeder guy told me that.
and i'm not trynig to say it as a fact! they might be able to breed when they are smaller and might not till they become bigger.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
What size tank? A four foot tank can be anything from 33 to 150 gallons.

Honestly, even if it is 150 gallons, if it is only 4' I don't think you should add any other oscars.

Arkie
10-23-2007, 12:06 AM
the red tigers are in the tank together at the moment, they seem to be getting along fairly well (apart from the occassional fight over food!), and i was told by the guy at the pet shop that they might be already pairing up because as soon as i put the albino in there with them they both try and attack it heaps bad, so ive taken it out. what are some of the signs of oscars when they begin to pair up?
if these guys have paired up ill leave them in the 4 ft tank by themselves. then id try and get some albinos for my one to pick a mate from. im getting another two 4 ft tanks in two weeks and the albinos can go in there till i find a pair. if i do then ill find the rest new homes.
is this idea going to work do you think? :confused:

Fishguy2727
10-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Are these 55 gallons? We really need to know what size tanks we are talking about here, not just lengths.

In relatively small tanks the ones already settled in will defend their territory against the new guy.