PDA

View Full Version : Color on fish fading

SaxyCat
07-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Hi,

I currently have a 33 gallon tank with 4 fish in it. A Rosy Barb, about 3 years old, a Red tail shark, a Bala shark, both sharks I just got 3 weeks ago, and an otocinclus 3 years old. The tank contains live plants and the fish are fed both frozen blood worms and flake food each day. The temperature has recently been between 25 and 27 degrees celcius due to the temperature of the house. Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels are all good. This afternoon the Barb started swimming very eratically and rapidly and also running into things. He has never done that before. He was also exhibiting rapid gill movement. Tonight I also noticed that the Barb, the Red tail shark and, to a lesser extent, the Bala shark are faded in color. However when I looked again about 1 hour later much of the color had returned. The light was off when I noticed this lack of coloration.
I'm not sure if I should be concerned or if this is simply normal. I've heard that RTS fade at night. Could the fish, mostly the Barb, be stressed because of the high temperature?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

William
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Yes, the fish can be stressed due to high temperature.

many fish looks more pale at night.

SaxyCat
07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
As an update, the Barb now just sits at the bottom of the tank in a secluded spot. He will come to food though and is still a little pig. The rest of the fish look normal.

William
07-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Do you any signs of disease (except the behaviour)?

Could be just that the rose barb is getting old and near it's end. 3 year is quite old for a rose barb.

SaxyCat
07-08-2006, 04:58 AM
No, there are no signs of any disease that I know of. I've been looking on line trying to find anything that the Barb might have and I haven't found anything. I'm completely at a loss as to what is wrong with him.

Is there anything I can try that might help him? A salt dip maybe? Or would that just stress him out more/too much if it is just old age catching up with him.

Thanks

William
07-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Hard to say. a salt dip will likely not help it is an age question. if it is something else it might help.