PDA

View Full Version : Dead dwarf clover?

Greentoads41
01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't know what to do. about a week ago i received a good sized pot of Marsilea Hirsuta, or dwarf four leaf clover. I took it out of the pot, removed the stonewool, and split it into 4 sections. 3 I placed in my low-lit 30 gallon with gravel substrate (each piece of gravel is about half a centimeter), and 1 was placed in the high lit 10 gallon with a silica sand substrate. I also supplemented them with API "root tabs," put under the roots. It works great on my wisteria. I had cut all the emerged grown leaves off before placing them in the tank. Now, most stems in both tanks have turned brown, not just leaves I had accidentally left on. But the thing that most worries me is that although I am seeing some runners, within 2 days the new growth has turned brown also. This is most prominent in 2 sections of the clover in the 30 gallon. Should I trim off all the brown stems, or is this also part of emergent growth dying? I was under the impression that just the leaves needed to die. Should I Move all sections to the 10 gallon, where sand is easier to send out runners? What should I do?

also, the worst looking clover is directly in the pathway of current created by 3 HOB filters. Does this current hinder growth?

funkman262
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Is the batch in the 10g dying as well? If not, I would recommend moving all but one into there, then see if the one left in the 30g recovers. I planted my M. Hirsuta four days ago, didn't cut off any of the emersed leaves, and I've already noticed a lot of new healthy growth. I'm using ecocomplete as a base which is topped off with sand. Several batches of mine are getting hit with a lot of flow from my canister filter and they're doing fine so I don't think that's the problem.

Greentoads41
01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
First of all, thanks for the reply, and it's good to have soomeone else with experience in dealing with this plant. The difference in the ten gallon is that even though all the stems turned brown, the new growth stays green, whereas in the 30 gall, the new growth turns brown again. It also occurred to me that the stems had turned brown (especially in the middle of the clump of clover) perhaps because I left the portion too big, and the roots, which before were all cramped into the pot, weren't able to expand i guess lol.

Greentoads41
01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
First of all, thanks for the reply, and it's good to have soomeone else with experience in dealing with this plant. The difference in the ten gallon is that even though all the stems turned brown, the new growth stays green, whereas in the 30 gall, the new growth turns brown again. It also occurred to me that the stems had turned brown (especially in the middle of the clump of clover) perhaps because I left the portion too big, and the roots, which before were all cramped into the pot, weren't able to expand i guess lol.

funkman262
01-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Would you be able to post a single bunch each from both tanks? Here's a couple different bunches that I have in my tank:

You can see the new growth and runners being produced while the old emersed leaves are dying off.

Greentoads41
01-09-2013, 12:57 AM
I see....i have bigger bunches, and more brown stems. I'll try to capture it! Uploading pictures onto this site is sometimes hit-and-miss, though. Sit tight lol!

funkman262
01-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Yea I noticed it could be a PITA if you're not used to it. First I couldn't find the button to manage attachments (it's below the message box in the additional options after going advanced btw), then I had to resize them. Good luck :ssmile:

Greentoads41
01-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Stupid photo :devil: My camera is too good. I'll keep trying.

Greentoads41
01-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Maybe! Dwarf clover. I'll add the other pics once i decide if this 1 is too small and whatnot

funkman262
01-09-2013, 03:02 AM
I could see that photo just fine. Is that the 30g or 10g? Just the fact that it does keep sending out new runners is promising, even if they die a little afterwards. It seems like they're struggling but would be fine once you figure out the problem. If a plant just isn't suited for a tank, they'll simply die off (whether slowly or quickly) and not produce any new growth.

Greentoads41
01-09-2013, 03:07 AM
More pics. The last 1 was from the ten gallon with sand.

Greentoads41
01-09-2013, 03:12 AM
lAST photo. thanks!:stickwhack: :duel:

Greentoads41
01-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Yes, and the new growth in the ten gallon isn't dying really at all, just the old stems and stuff. I'm interested what becomes of both our clovers as time goes by. thumbs2: