PDA

View Full Version : Panaque maccus QT question

ekfishlover2011
01-06-2013, 02:28 AM
So after some research i have found the pleco i want now, and that is the clown pleco, Panaque maccus. Ive found it can be in temps as low as 73 degrees and it only gets 4 inches, actually eats algae as well as shrimp pellets (good because i have an over abundance of both, lol) and its pretty, so its perfect. I want to get it this week. Only question i have is about driftwood in the QT. Does he need it in there? I have plenty in my main tank, but its too large for the QT, so i need to know if i have to buy a small piece for him or if he will be fine for two weeks?

genocidex
01-06-2013, 02:42 AM
if you can break off some of the bigger drift wood, not the best solution for your main tank but most plecos (i cant speak for this exact one sorry) need seasoned drift wood that would be from your main tank. i think he might survive the qt w/o the wood but i think he would do better with it....

ekfishlover2011
01-06-2013, 02:50 AM
Ok, ill break out a hammer and snap a piece off. Thanks for the quick reply!

ScottishFish
01-06-2013, 07:15 AM
100% they need wood, I have clowns and they are never away from the stuff.

Cliff
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Could you get another smaller pcs of drift wood from a LFS ? I would think you could get a smaller pc pretty cheap and be able to put it in boiling water before adding it to your QT tank. Unless you don't mind cutting up some of your exsisting drift wood. You should have a pc big enough to make a hiding spot for him

Due to how hard this wood is, you might have to cut it with a saw, a hammer may not do it for you.

ekfishlover2011
01-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Yea i just gave him a little piece of my stick instead of breaking my african mopani, because it was quite hard to break, and the stick is softer. I gave him a tunnel to hide in otherwise. He stayed very colorful during car ride, he seems to take everything well. I think i chose a very healthy guy. :)

ScottishFish, how do u like them? I never saw them before yesterday but was pleco searching at my LFS website and thats how i decided to research and then run in and get him.

Greentoads41
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
My opinion is that clown plecos are awesome. I had one for 7 years with no driftwood, just a cave (terribly sorry, I didn't know!) but the point is that he always kept the tank clean and was very pretty. I just replaced him in my 30 gal. With another one. He sticks to the driftwood noon and night, but sometimes when I turn the lights on in the morning, I catch him on a plant or sides of the tank. Just give him driftwood and a little shade or shelter, and he'll do just fine. :)