PDA

View Full Version : Need a simple 'How to Calculate net W/C' sticky

Cermet
01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Once more I feel that a sticky thread on this topic is critical (I'm tried of rewriting threads on this subject) since the MOST import thing we do is water changes but time after time, people are totally confused on this subject when more than a single W/C is needed! (blush)

For a post I made today, I offered a simple three stage W/C procedure and how much new water this would produce - too many people do not understand this very simple concept (the effect of separate W/C on the net clean water added and also the issue of pH drift and how to figure these things out.) I would think that such a post would be useful ... :11:

Goes to 11!
01-03-2013, 08:37 PM
I offered a simple three stage W/C procedure and how much new water this would produce - too many people do not understand this very simple concept
No matter how clearly it could possibly ever be put ... A sticky isn't going to improve anyones grasp of math. That issue is on their end.
:22:

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I have found that the last thing people read here are the stickies.

Cermet
01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Ok; makes sense. I guess you can take a fish to water but can't them them drink ... that is, for fresh water fish ... .:hmm3grin2orange:

dbosman
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
No sticky needed.
90% every week. Simple and the fish love it.

Cliff
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I have found that the last thing people read here are the stickies.

We have stickies ??? :hmm3grin2orange:

ScottishFish
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
No sticky needed.
90% every week. Simple and the fish love it.

No more need be said

Cermet
01-04-2013, 09:02 PM
No more need be said

Actually, a lot needs to be said since the vast majority of people do not do such large W/C.

Many do multiple small changes over a week or two and understanding the relationship of volume and dilution is a concept few seem to ‘get’ and this leads to a lot of far dirtier aquariums that people end up doing far more work only to get less results.

However, I’m told most would not read so I guess it is pointless to write.

mommy1
01-04-2013, 09:49 PM
If people read the stickies what would we all talk about. There are many wrong ways to do things in this hobby and there are many right ways to do things in this hobby and what is right for you and works may not be right for me (algae scrubbers come to mind). One large weekly water change, several smaller weekly water changes, what ever, it all results in the same thing, a clean tank with healthy fish. If you don't want to continue to do the math for people just tell them to test nitrates every day for a while and when they get close to 20ppm it's time for a water change; quick, simple, easy to understand, and very minimal math needed on their part and no math on your part. Every tank is different and has different maintenance requirements. Telling people to use their test kits not only helps them to understand the basic needs of their tank it teaches them the routine they need to follow in order to keep their own unique tank's parameters pristine. There is no need to over complicate things.

Taurus
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
We have stickies ??? :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL...why Cliff, yes we do! Don't look now but there's one right in the middle of your forehead that says, : READ THE STICKIES!

JK :ssmile:

mermaidwannabe
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
If people read the stickies what would we all talk about. There are many wrong ways to do things in this hobby and there are many right ways to do things in this hobby and what is right for you and works may not be right for me (algae scrubbers come to mind). One large weekly water change, several smaller weekly water changes, what ever, it all results in the same thing, a clean tank with healthy fish. If you don't want to continue to do the math for people just tell them to test nitrates every day for a while and when they get close to 20ppm it's time for a water change; quick, simple, easy to understand, and very minimal math needed on their part and no math on your part. Every tank is different and has different maintenance requirements. Telling people to use their test kits not only helps them to understand the basic needs of their tank it teaches them the routine they need to follow in order to keep their own unique tank's parameters pristine. There is no need to over complicate things.

This seems to make the most sense. Due to tank size, stocking, whether or not it's planted, how the inhabitants are fed, filtration, and other variants, each tank has its own issues and each tank is unique. The only way to really know what's going on is to test the water regularly. Once a tank has cycled, nitrate testing will help determine how often to do WCs and how much water to change during any one WC, how often the filters should be cleaned, how often the substrate should be vacuumed, etc. Once the nitrates can consistently be kept within the safe range, the procedures that achieve that are the right procedures for that tank.