PDA

View Full Version : Wild floating watermoss

Compass
12-31-2012, 11:24 PM
On a recent trip to my parents I discovered some watermoss in their canal. I want to introduce it to my tank, what do I need to do to it to make sure it's ok to do so?

madagascariensis
01-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Quarantine the moss to make sure it will not bring in any diseases or pests into your tank. At
LEast two weeks is recommended. After that, if you ever get bored of the moss do not throw it back into a natural water system because now it might introduce dangerous stuff from your tanks into nature. Dispose of it in the trash.

Cermet
01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I would NEVER chance any wild plant; ILS plants are cheap but wild plants are loaded with nasty bacteria that could run wild in a closed environment like an aquarium. Parasites that won't show for months could also be introduced. Just not worth the risk.

Compass
01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Hmmm lots to ponder. I've read somewhere that dipping the plants in a solution of water and bleach (10:1) for a very short time could kill most bacteria. I'm not cheap as much as I love plants and like to go out and get them myself instead of the ease of buying them. However, I don't want to risk harm to my fish either.

Algenco
01-01-2013, 04:12 PM
do the bleach dip and quaratine for 2 weeks

All plants came from the wild at some point, no reason you can't do as good a job sterilizing/aclimating as anyone else

plants at the LFS are from outdoor ponds

Compass
01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I'll give it a shot then.