PDA

View Full Version : Panda's hard to find?

MeganL3985
10-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Are panda's hard to find? I was hoping to put some panda corys in my 29 gallon, once its finished cycling. but I havent been able to find any. Petsmart has Albino's, bronze, peppered and green......but no panda's. :(
I really don't want to go to aquarama (local owned lfs)....even though i've been there and they look okay, i've heard some really bad things about people getting sick animals, reptiles and fish from there.

Also...do chain places like petsmart special order things for people? I have an acquaintance who works there, if that makes a difference?

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 01:43 AM
here in canada most canadian stores do special orders for free, mainly PJ's.

theres really no fish that you cant find here, but ive heard of pandas being hard to find. here petsmarts have quite a few. maybe check ebay?

EDIT- i was bored. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Fish-Cory-Panda-Tank-Raised-LOT-of-3_W0QQitemZ220135332811QQihZ012QQcategoryZ66795QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

MeganL3985
10-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Thanks but definitely not spending $50 on 3 panda's. lol I'll probably end up getting some albino's or peppered if I can't find the pandas. They're cute too :)

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 02:33 AM
WOAH, i never noticed the shipping, not worth it.

albinos are my favorite, i used to have schools of 15-30

MeganL3985
10-22-2007, 02:46 AM
I was thinking about doing 5 corys and 5 oto's in my 29 gal.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 02:50 AM
that should work fine.

in my old 33g i had a school of 6 and they all went up for air in a straight line one after another, theyre really cool

MeganL3985
10-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Oh they breath surface air too?

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 02:58 AM
yep, they come up for a gulp of air every few minutes, just like gouramis and bettas

MeganL3985
10-22-2007, 03:04 AM
Wow....thats new to me. I guess I need to do more research. I've only seen the basics about the fish I want to put in the tank (dwarf gourami, neon tetras, corys & oto's).....I can never find any detailed information...like from personal experience, not so much the scientific end of it.

SkarloeysMom
10-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I had a hard time finding Panda corys locally too and the ones I did find where 7 bucks a piece and turned out to be sickly and all died. Another LFS had them for 12 bucks a piece! After the first experience I decided to go with PetSmart guaranteed corys for 3 bucks a piece in spite of the fact that they only had common ones. Our PetSmart had spotted corys and they are pretty cool looking so I went with those and they've been GREAT! A have a very healthy and happy little crew now.

Just an aside, the Otos at one of the local PSs here has the filtiest Oto tank I've ever seen! All the fish in that tank had obvious signs of fin rot and fungus. I don't know why that tank was so dirty when all the others looked a lot better. I should have said something but I've already said stuff to the people there and nothing has changed so I just buy dog food there now and fish at a different PS that has cleaner tanks.

themusician
10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
You know, I wouldn't suggest you make the trip until I've confirmed it...but it seems to me like I've seen panda cories at Aquamain's here in Greensboro before. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but if you really wanted some you might be able to get them here.

CAF
10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
petsmart has always told me they can't special order. Good luck!:c12: