PDA

View Full Version : nanocube lighting

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 01:25 AM
i hope alizee can answer this question since hes been doing alot of nanocube research.

i found a nanocube from aquagiant, about 10g total, and it has a 2-3g refugium. its filtered by a pump in the refugium that pumps water through sponges and ceramic rings, and theres a spraybar on top. it was bought boxless and with no instructions brand new for $50

ive wanted to make it a reef for a while, but im unsure about the lighting. ive included a pic here. its 2 skinny lights that go across. theres no print on the bulbs wattage, but im guessing theyre 15w each? i have no idea. thats my main problem.

if anyone could give me a approx. wattage, that would be great. and is it possible to upgrade the lights? i want at least 30W on it.

Drumachine09
10-22-2007, 01:30 AM
I found a small one in the garage in a lantern that was 7 watts.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 01:33 AM
darn, looks like i have some upgrading to do if i have 14w total. lol

im wondering if it could be a 24w maybe. i looked at the same question at nano-reef.com and someone said that they may be 24w each. my helios VHO flurescent is the same thin bulb and is 24w.

coachfraley
10-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Those look like the 8watt T5's to me.

A340
10-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey Cocoa,

I wish I could help you on this one, but I have no idea what model that is, I haven't seen those types of lights in a 10g. If they have standard plugs/pins though, they should be pretty easy to swap with some higher wattage. The only nanocube I'm aware of that has a built in refugium is the NanoWave by Aquamedic, however the refugium has it's on seperate light and the main lighting is different then yours. BTW, doesn't the refugium need it's own light if the main lights are off of if they don't reach the refugium?

You may want to try nanotuners.com, they have great kits available to boost the wattage in your nanocube, lots of great tips and articles too.

Drumachine09
10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
If they have standard plugs/pins though, they should be pretty easy to swap with some higher wattage

Just make sure the new bulbs won't exceed the limit of your ballast.

A340
10-22-2007, 07:39 PM
What manufacturer is the Cube itself? There should be a label or sticker somewhere. Give me that info and I'll see what I can find for you tonight.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
i think its aquagiant's own model, its the aquagiant view 880. thats what the sticker on the hood says.

A340
10-22-2007, 10:09 PM
i think its aquagiant's own model, its the aquagiant view 880. thats what the sticker on the hood says.
I took a look at their site earlier today and this is the only one I could find ...

http://www.aquagiant.com/product_info.php/cPath/31_44_137/products_id/796

... the canopy looks pretty well spot on with yours, also it says that it has 2x8W T5's, which also look spot on. Are you sure about your's having a refugium? The lack of an extra light for it makes me curious.

Gotta run out to do some errands, but I'll def look into more info for you when I get back.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
thats the one! but i was told it was a 10g. close enough. and the refugium doesnt have a light but it is a refugium.

and i didnt know i could put a goldfish and 3 discus in it? lol

EDIT- and i can also have a gigantic guppy? sweet! lol

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
in one of my pictures, do you see the blue on the side? thats the refugium. when you look through the back theres clear acrylic. 3/4 towards the back of the tank theres a strip of glass going across, and the other 1/4 in the back is the refugium

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 11:55 PM
well, right now im going to start draining the tank and getting the gravel out, and put in some argonite.

i would like to upgrade my lighting for sure, 2W/g is useless. ive seen a coralife 96W light at a lfs that would fir the tank, so thats a option. however, if you have a better light link, please show it!

A340
10-23-2007, 06:20 AM
well, right now im going to start draining the tank and getting the gravel out, and put in some argonite.

i would like to upgrade my lighting for sure, 2W/g is useless. ive seen a coralife 96W light at a lfs that would fir the tank, so thats a option. however, if you have a better light link, please show it!

What kind of wattage are you shooting for? If you are handy, this may be of interest ....

http://www.nanotuners.com/index.php?cPath=24

.... the 150w MH kit looks pretty easy to fit in, just gotta work on the cooling though. The kits are a bit pricey, but it is an idea.

Futureboy
10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
looks like 4 discus to me cocoa!

sorry im no help with your questions though

cocoa_pleco
10-23-2007, 01:59 PM
im liking the thought about 3 discus, a goldfish, and a surprisingly large mutated guppy.

i think that 150W might be overkill, since thats almost 20w/g. im looking for about 10w/g max

A340
10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
i think that 150W might be overkill, since thats almost 20w/g. im looking for about 10w/g max
They also have a 70w set up if you scroll down the page. Also, you may want to look at the Coralife 96w you found. The 96w will probably give you more than 10w/g and the 70w MH kit under. What is the length of the bulb in the tank?

cocoa_pleco
10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
i believe the bulb is about 9 inches.

i think i'll go see if the store still has that coralife fixture