PDA

View Full Version : Betta fish are such funny creatures!

Lolita
12-27-2012, 01:43 PM
The personality they show never fails to amaze me!

Since I got my sister and nephew a betta fish and 5 gallon tank for him, I have had the itch to buy one of my own again to keep at home! So, I went ahead and got a 5 gallon tank set up for him on my armoire, and picked up a really lovely betta that appeared to have a whitish body and pink fins. I knew his color would change to a red eventually, so I brought him home and acclimated him to his new tank.

The guy at the store warned me that their latest shipment of Betta were all doing really poorly for some reason, and to keep an eye on him--so I did. Well, the poor little guy looked like he was dying from the start and I felt so sad for him. I tried to make him as comfortable as possible, but I couldn't pinpoint any specific set of symptoms that pointed to any certain disease or anything.

For three days I watched as he alternated between lying on his side on the floor of the tank, floated upside down in the top corners of the tank, and swam sideways. When I fed him, he was always ready to rush over to the food, but other than that he was listless and his body unusually thin.

I'm still not sure what possessed me to put him into my community tank--everything logically pointed to that being a bad idea, but something in me wanted to do it. So, on Christmas Eve I scooped him carefully out of his five-gallon and set him into the 29--fully expecting to have to scoop him out from aggression or weakness due to the strong current.

Boy was I wrong! At first, he made himself comfortable on a leaf and laid there, watching the other fish swim around. After a few hours, he was swimming around wildly exploring the tank's every nook and cranny. His white body turned to a bright, bold powder blue and his fins darkened to this amazing deep red color with blue tips. I have noticed a surprisingly significant change in the fullness and length of his fins, and the fullness of his body. He swims back and forth sometimes with my shoal of Harlequins and gets along great with my GBR!

I do notice a little flaring here and there at the GBR, but never more than a second, and then they're swimming around peacefully together and even sharing the wafers I drop in for my BN pleco.

Apparently this little guy is a social betta and just needed a community around him to liven up! You would never know looking at him that just days ago he was white, listless and about to die. He doesn't even mind the strong current caused by my two AC 50's! :) I need to think of a good name for him.

Stlouisfish
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Wow - a success story. You just never know LOL

seb's fish
12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Have any pics of before and after

Tiari
12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
They are surprising little creatures. I have a female who schools with Neons!

Lolita
12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Have any pics of before and after

I don't have any of him in the 5 gallon, but I have one of him in the cup and I just took one of him in my 29! I'll post them. Sorry, they're crappy cell phone pictures lol...

Edit: I have to go drop my sister's car off. Lol I'll post them soon!

Lady Hobbs
12-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Glad he appears to be doing better but actually your first instinct was correct. Putting a new fish who appeared ill in the tank with all your others was a big chance that may have gone the other way for all your stock.

Lolita
12-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Before, in his cup: (he wasn't floating weird in the cup)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hxn2g4.jpg

After--taken this morning, in his new home:

http://i50.tinypic.com/357g1gl.jpg

Sorry for the quality. He looked the same as he did in the cup until a few hours after I put him into the 29 gallon. :)

seb's fish
12-27-2012, 05:05 PM
That is a beautiful fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lolita
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
That is a beautiful fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D Thank you!! I'm so excited about his recovery. I knew it couldn't have been any disease because he was showing no regular symptoms other than moping. He was floating upside down, but then when I got close to the tank, he swam away quickly--so I knew he was strong enough to swim. I guess he was just...depressed...? Lmao

Lolita
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I think I'll name him Dionysus. :) He was the Greek God of Wine, Frivolity and Merriness. A big partier, haha, just like this little guy.

seb's fish
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Awesome name! I agree with the choice!

Lolita
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Awesome name! I agree with the choice!

:D Thanks!! I always name my Betta's after Greek Gods hahaha. Well, the first one was technically named after the lover of a God--but still.

Cyberra
12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
^_^ Gorgeous little DT

Lady Hobbs
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
He sure colored up nicely.

jeffs99dime
12-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice looking Bettathumbs2:

stargunner
01-25-2013, 07:42 PM
the new pic seems to be broken but its still beautiful even in the cup picture