PDA

View Full Version : New to killies

blu
10-22-2007, 12:25 AM
are killies easy to keep? I found in one of my lfs that they sell them but are listed under "assorted" so I didnt want to get any...they look cool but ive never seen them in a store before and dont know much about them.The only ones left in the tank were kindof greenish(I think male and female one was less colorful)What are some common easy to keep killies?

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 12:56 AM
ive found golden wonder killies easy to keep. i have one and hes easy to care for. they need about 5g to one fish

stunner
10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
The Golden Wonders are easy to keep. They're not picky when it comes to food, they'll eat just about anything. Smaller tank mates may be chased, at least some of mine were. Also, any tank mate that can fit in the killie's mouth will be eaten eventually.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 11:56 PM
mine never went after small fish, but he loved live crickets

NickFish
12-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I have heard that Fundulopanchax nigerianus, also known as Innidere or
Jos Plateau killifish are easy to keep, but don't hold me to that.

I echo the golden wonder though, they are very easy to keep relative to other killifish.

myster619
12-21-2007, 06:07 AM
can any1 telll me how to sex/gender the fishes actually?

stunner
12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure...but I would think that the males would be more colourful while the females would be more olive-brown coloured. This would vary from species to species too probably. As a side note though...keep your tank WELL covered. I lost my "golden wonder" killie about 2 weeks ago when he decided to jump ship. The whole tank was covered except where the HOB discharges into the tank; so that's where he got out I'm guessing.

NickFish
01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I really want to get a few killies, maybe I can do that with my spare 13 gallon.

Dave66
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
can any1 telll me how to sex/gender the fishes actually?

The males are far more colorful than the females. Even though the sexes may be colored alike, the male will be far more brilliant than she.

Dave