PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my silver dollar?

garyr
10-22-2007, 12:02 AM
I recently purchased 4 silver dollars and and an angel which live in my 55 gallon tank. They are juveniles, all about the same age and size. About two weeks after bringing them home one of the silver dollars is either no longer welcome in the group or chooses to not belong to the group. Previously it's behavior was identical to the other silver dollars. Then it's behavior abruptly changed and it has stayed changed. It doesn't swim with the others and doesn't compete for food. It feeds by waiting for food to fall and snags it before it reaches the bottom. It doesn't appear sick and swims fast when it feels like it. None of the fish show any aggression. Any idea what could have caused this behavior change?

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2007, 12:12 AM
One of my larger dollars tend to keep more hidden that the others. I keep hoping she is back there in the corner laying eggs. But yours are all juvies so I find that strange as well. Perhaps just not feeling well. Have you checked her for ICK since she's new to your tank?

Harder than heck to see it on the dollars but look at the fins.

crackatinny
10-22-2007, 12:28 AM
You mentioned 1 angel as well, just keep an eye on its behavior toward the loner silver dollar, especially at feeding time, maybe just a chance it has singled out this one silver dollar to pick on, angels love to be the boss of a tank.

garyr
10-22-2007, 02:01 AM
You mentioned 1 angel as well, just keep an eye on its behavior toward the loner silver dollar, especially at feeding time, maybe just a chance it has singled out this one silver dollar to pick on, angels love to be the boss of a tank.

I wondered if the angel could have attacked the silver dollar. But, I've seen no aggression by the angel. If the silver dollars get in the angels face, it will mock charge toward them. But, I've never seen them actually touch. The other silver dollars also swim to the lone one and sometimes the lone silver dollar will swim with the rest. But, more often than not they are on opposite ends of the tank.

garyr
10-22-2007, 02:03 AM
One of my larger dollars tend to keep more hidden that the others. I keep hoping she is back there in the corner laying eggs. But yours are all juvies so I find that strange as well. Perhaps just not feeling well. Have you checked her for ICK since she's new to your tank?

Harder than heck to see it on the dollars but look at the fins.

I'm still new at this. What should I look for?