PDA

View Full Version : Adding a mate!

liamoi
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Hello people! I have a single small texas (Herichthys carpintis) in an 'L' shaped tank about 75 gallons with an additional sump beneath the tank and good filtration, with a few rainbows and barbs to bring him out! However watching him in there digging his pits i felt sorry for him and wondered if it would be possible to add a mate for him? I think that i have a male but would be grateful if you could give me some tips on sexing them? Would it be ok to add just one female as the existing texas is only about 3 inches!?
Cheers for any help you can give me!!
Liam

William
07-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes, you can add just one female if you are careful enough. A seperator can help you do this but shouldnät be a necessary since your tank is large enough for the female to hide.

Make sure you have enough hidin places for her to hide in untill she feels at home.

sexing them can be hard if you don't feel confortable sexing them based on their external sexual organs. Males can have longer more pointy fins.

liamoi
07-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Any idea of how to sex them? I've been told its to do with the vents but can't quite remember which is for male and which is for female!!

William
07-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Se end of my last post.