PDA

View Full Version : Bushynose Not Growing?

Plectoman
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey guys,

Back in the beginning of August I picked up a baby bushynose who was only about a few weeks old. It grew rapidly for a month to about 2 inches but now for the past few months I havent seen any noticeable growth. It eats Hikari wafers, algae tablets, shrimp pellets, and a cucumber slice every week. I have the temp at 80 degrees and water conditions are fine (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate). I have him in a 55 gallon tank so I am wondering why his growth in stunted? Is anyone familiar with the growth rate of plecos? Does he just have bad genetics and will always stay this size? I have attached a pic if its helps. Thank you for the advice.

steeler58
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Well he is half grown at 2" so you might start to see some growth soon.

Algenco
12-24-2012, 01:39 AM
they are slow growers

Gogi
12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
I got a bushynose around the same time you did and it was quite small less then an inch. It looks just like yours same size. Maybe a little over 2inches. I dont think you should worry. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Indian Woods Angels
12-26-2012, 10:34 PM
If it is a dwarf bristlenose they grow fast at first and then slow down a lot.

Females are only around 3" at max on those.

fishmommie
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
If it is a dwarf bristlenose they grow fast at first and then slow down a lot.

Females are only around 3" at max on those.

My Albino bristlenose took forever to reach 2 inches, where, he also, seems to be stalled. I've had him since early summer and he wasn't much more than an inch when I brought him home. He's nice and fat now - eats like a pig - but still a shrimp LOL and has not get sprouted any bristles. So ... it would seem that 'slow' is a typical growth rate for these guys.

mojosodope
12-27-2012, 02:13 AM
I have 4 Albino BNs in my pond and I noticed the two males are already 3 inches plus while the two females are under 2 inches. All bought at the same size and eat the same food. I can't tell by your pics but females are known to reach maturity slower than males.

Indian Woods Angels
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
My Albino bristlenose took forever to reach 2 inches, where, he also, seems to be stalled. I've had him since early summer and he wasn't much more than an inch when I brought him home. He's nice and fat now - eats like a pig - but still a shrimp LOL and has not get sprouted any bristles. So ... it would seem that 'slow' is a typical growth rate for these guys.

Yours is a female.

The boys grow fast, ladies not so much. The LFS buys all of my bigger ones and leaves me with all of the girls. It's OK. Not too many folks buy the littles so not many breed them.

fishmommie
12-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Yours is a female.

The boys grow fast, ladies not so much. The LFS buys all of my bigger ones and leaves me with all of the girls. It's OK. Not too many folks buy the littles so not many breed them.

Glad she's going to stay small but she sure was a widget when I got her. She's perfect for my 30 gal. Will the females get bristles or just the males?

Indian Woods Angels
12-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Just the super males or the tough dominant boys. Wimpy boys get only little bristles.

fishmommie
12-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Just the super males or the tough dominant boys. Wimpy boys get only little bristles.
lol.........