PDA

View Full Version : drift wood

Delphe
12-14-2012, 04:55 AM
Hello,
I mentioned how i wanted an other peace of wood into my tank. My hubby said sure, cut yourself a piece directing toward our woods, not what i had in mind but Heh... So we have white & red oak, 4 giant sequoia (from Ca) a variety of pine and fir trees.
It might be silly but i thought I would ask.
Would either one of these be suitable and how to prepare it?
Including barking it.....

FinalJenemba
12-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Well you can't use live wood obviously. The only stuff you can use is dead 100% dried dense hardwoods. The only american wood im familiar with besides true drift wood in manzanita.

talldutchie
12-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Yeah, find something that's fallen off by itself and place somwehre outside off the ground. Come back in a few months.

Compass
12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd say the best bet is from the oak trees. Like the others said it has to be dead and dry, so watch for any rot on it as this will ruin it. No bark of course. Once you've found a nice piece, boil it for a bit to kill anything that might be on it and help draw out the tannins in the wood. You'll have anchor the wood once you put it in the tank though. It takes dry wood a while to become dense enough to sink. I currently have stones on mine to keep it down. If you know of any rivers or creeks in the area, you might be able to dig a few piece out of there, that is how I did it.

Aeonflame
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
You can use dry wood that you find on land. Any hardwood that isn't too resinous will work. Be sure to soak and boil it to remove the tannins if you dont want a blackwater tank.

Delphe
12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
OK, so i have a peace of white oak that has been in the wood shed drying for more than a year.
I don't want to wait a year from now to put some driftwood in my tank:ssuprised:
I'll post a picture of it this evening to see if it looks good to you guys too

Rocksor
12-15-2012, 08:31 PM
If it's been drying for a year it should be good. Just remove the bark and boil the sucker.