PDA

View Full Version : RCS color changing?

250Gimp
12-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Hi all!

I have 6 Red Cherry Shrimp, and two of them seem to be pregnant.

One thing I have noticed is that where they have been a nice red colour, some of them seem to be get a lighter shade of red, almost whitish red, down there backs.

I am wondering if they are getting ready to moult, or if I have water issues.

Ammo 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10

If anyone can help me out with this I would really apreciate it!

Thanks

korith
12-12-2012, 03:35 AM
The color variety is normal. When they do molt, they usually lose their color for a short time. Females are usually develop a darker red. Also as they age they do get a deeper color. Originally this type of shrimp was a different color, a wildtype, a breeder might have noticed certain colors from the shrimp they liked so they are picked out and bred for. Takes many many generations to breed for certain qualities. Even after many generations, the genes for the old shrimp do show up occasionally. There are many different colors bred out of this line of shrimp, blue, green, yellow, and other varieties.

250Gimp
12-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Korith!

The part that confuses is me is that they were all red before and now have the light stripe down there backs onto their tail.

Cheers

korith
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I have some odd ones like that, had some with a brown stripe or a lighter stripe. I think for some it remains, but for others it might remain as they get older. Not really sure. In any case nothing to worry about.

What I do when I find shrimp that have characteristics I don't like is to remove them from the tank, then add them to the cichlid tank.

250Gimp
12-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the info Korith!

Makes me feel better. I was afraid I was doing something to hurt the little buggers!

Cheers

dmagerl
12-13-2012, 01:50 AM
That's called a racing stripe. :-) Some females get it but not all, and its only the females.

250Gimp
12-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks dmagerl!

Good to know.

Cheers