PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Nest Frustration?

Munko
10-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I have 2 male dwarfs, and 2 female dwarfs. My male flame dwarf is constantly at work trying to build bubble nests - moving vegetation around with his mouth to fortify it and everything. However, I have a) an eclipse system which creates quite a bit of surface agitation, and b) a bubble curtain which also adds to surface agitation. Because of this, he is unable to successfully build a nest. Quite honestly, I don't really want him to either because I don't have the space for baby gouramis. Will it be in any way detrimental to his health that he isn't able to successfully build a nest? That might be anthropomorphizing, but I just wouldn't want him stressed or whatever. Eggs have been dropped in my tank before, but they just get eaten - so it hasn't stopped him from mating, just from successful mating.

Thanks.

gm72
10-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Won't hurt him a bit. The bubble curtain is not necessary as gouramis are labyrinthine fish and can/will breathe at the surface. However, I like the look of bubbles in the tank, so you can definitely use it as an aesthetic effect.

squirt_12
10-20-2007, 04:39 PM
well the fry will just get eaten by othe fish in the tank so it is ok...but if you want to geta bubblenest then you can take a styrofoam bup and cut in half length wise and then put it in the water about 1/2 an inch and have the other end sticking out...that sould help him build the nest.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,29.jpg

like so in the link. Good luck.

Munko
10-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Thank you both for your replies!

squirt_12
10-20-2007, 09:15 PM
no problem. thumbs2:

gm72
10-20-2007, 09:35 PM
That's what we're here for!!!! thumbs2: