View Full Version : calling all breeders please

mitcore
10-20-2007, 04:16 AM
i am looking at starting to set up and breed the following fish
tetras
cory dory's
bettas

but i do not have knowlegde to do it
i am asking for all breeders to drop me hints/advice on how i can do this succesfully

thanks all

:hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 04:19 AM
i have bred all but the bettas.

i bred albino cory's, at 78F temp, in a standard 33g with a canister filter. i had 6 cory's to pair off, and the eggs were laid on a java fern leaf

i bred black neon tetras, and had them spawn in a standard 55g, and 6 to pair off. they bred at 80F, and the eggs were scattered on java moss.

any other questions feel free to ask

Drumachine09
10-20-2007, 04:26 AM
Corys are said to be some of the hardest fish to breed.

I read a story about a guy who was trying to breed bronze corys. He gave them absoloutly FLAWLESS conditions. He couldn't get them to breed. Then, when his basment got floodes, (where his tanks were), his fish escaped into the flooded room, and layed their eggs on the sofa, where they hatched.

mitcore
10-20-2007, 04:26 AM
thanks

i forgot to add bristle nose sucker fish
wow i didnt get fry for my latest batch of peppered corys at least i dont think i did

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 04:43 AM
i bred common plecos too, and that was at 79F with daily water changes

my corys bred so much it got to be a nuisance. i eventually stopped raising the fry and just let them fend for themselves. with oscar fry i raised them always, and with rainbowshark fry i raised only a couple

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Wish I could get some black skirts to breed but how does that work when bottom feeders always get to the eggs! I know, I know. Remove the mates but I can't tell which is which.

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 04:56 AM
that was my largest problem too. when some fish bred in the actual show tanks, like my rainbowsharks, i had to stop bottom feeders from eating them. im lucky when the female white convict laid eggs the oscar couldnt reach them

mitcore
10-20-2007, 05:36 AM
is there any thing i should know about
tank set up
eg what do i need etc
and as for the temp can someone please give me ranges for the above breeds
and how to run the tank when i am breeding all the above
also about the tank matenince eg cleaning
thanks

Algenco
10-21-2007, 01:28 AM
cories in the wild spawn during the rainy season. Separate the sexes, condition them, place the females in the spawning tank near a window, males go in 24 hours later, do a 50% WC lowering the temp 5-8 degrees, if everything is right they will spawn at sunrise! At least it worked for me

Read everything you can find on the spawning habits of the species! Conditioning is the key

mitcore
10-21-2007, 02:25 AM
thanks great advice
i am happy to see more if anyone has anything

squirt_12
10-21-2007, 02:31 AM
ok well i have bred my bettas and well it is alot of information so....there is a thread where i typed alot and frankly i don't feel like typing fro another 30 minutes so the thread name is...um well i will post again and tell you.

mitcore
10-21-2007, 02:32 AM
thanks squirt

squirt_12
10-21-2007, 02:32 AM
The thread is under the 'BETTA' and the thread name is called: 'A little help could do' bt mystery.

good luck :thumb:

EDIT- also i am writing a book like thing about breeding bettas and when i get it done (about a week or more) i will post it on a thread somewhere.

mitcore
10-21-2007, 02:34 AM
thanks squirt
i will check it out now

mitcore
10-21-2007, 02:41 AM
wow squirt that was long but exteremly helpful
thanks and good job on that post
you made it very easy to understand
great work

squirt_12
10-21-2007, 02:42 AM
wow squirt that was long but exteremly helpful
thanks and good job on that post
you made it very easy to understand
great work
o...thanks so much...i try....lol....so did you understand everything that i said???

mitcore
10-21-2007, 02:55 AM
i surely did
i am going to take your advice on board thanks a million squirt
you rock

squirt_12
10-21-2007, 03:00 AM
i surely did
i am going to take your advice on board thanks a million squirt
you rock
mo problem...thats what i am here for...and thanks. :thumb:

mitcore
10-21-2007, 03:49 AM
no worries
squirt if you have anymore advice about tank set up cleaning etc can you please post

squirt_12
10-21-2007, 03:50 AM
ok...well when i get my book thing done then that has all of that in it and you can read it.

mitcore
10-21-2007, 04:05 AM
great let me know when
thanks a million squirt

squirt_12
10-21-2007, 01:55 PM
great let me know when
thanks a million squirt
no problem...it will probably be in about a week...maybe a little more.

mitcore
10-22-2007, 03:34 AM
awesome squirt i cant wait to read it and learn some more
you are awesome thanks for your support and help

Faith_at_Large
12-25-2007, 09:22 PM
I am not an expert, but I strongly encourage you to go to a Betta site for detailed instructions on the mating process. Maybe some of the Betta owners here know a good link for pictures on how to set up a breeding tank for Bettas - it is very specialized and requires a means to keep the female separate but visible to the male. They can only be allowed together once they are both ready, otherwise your Bettas will end up with serious injuries. The tank should be only about half full of water and heated (submersible heater is a good idea), and after the mating process is complete, remove the female as soon as possible, but it is ok to leave the male for a little while after - he produces the Bubble Nest in preparation for breeding, and will ensure that the eggs all make it into the Bubble Nest for safe-keeping until they are ready to hatch. Check with an experienced breeder to get more info on when to remove the male. It is also useful to have an almond leaf or something else that floats to help anchor the nest - but male Bettas are good at making them regardless.

fishfanatic33
12-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Ah.... I dont have any advice....I was actually wondering if I can ask some questions too.