PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish food for Tropical Fish?

scruffy
10-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I have tons of extra goldfish food that my goldies aren't going eat up anytime soon and no tropical fish food. Can I give goldfish food to tropical fish in a pinch? How about freeze dried shrimp mixed with goldfish flakes?

S

CAF
10-19-2007, 05:26 PM
You can however there is not as much nutrition and goodness in Goldfish flake as there is in tropical fish flake due to the fact that goldfish have such a simple digestive tract. Make sure you are supplimenting the food if you do use it.

Incredulous_Ed
10-19-2007, 08:34 PM
yeah, just use it as a treat or something.

Fishguy2727
10-20-2007, 01:21 AM
It depends on the goldfish food. They should be just as nutritious as tropical fish foods. If you have a really high quality goldfish food and a really crappy tropical flake the goldfish food may actually be better.

Yes, in a pinch goldfish food is fine for tropical fish. It will not hurt them at all. I feed my goldfish the same as all my other fish, nothing but NLS.

scruffy
10-20-2007, 02:27 PM
I was able to get a small can of tropical flakes for $1.25 at the Dollar General to tie them over. I did notice that the goldfish food has a lot of the same nutrients, but maybe not in the same proportion. I think goldfish food has less protein in it because of their more "streamlined" digestive tracts.