PDA

View Full Version : Jack Dempsey compatibility

delta
07-03-2006, 05:10 AM
I have 1 dempsey that is a monster - he ripped up three plecos and a large pink tailed chealceus that was about double he size - I would like to keep him with other fish (there is 1- 5 inch pleco with him) but I do not have room for another large central american cichlid - I was thinking about convicts or pike cichlids - I also would like to keep the tank with fish from only the Americas - thanks for any help.

William
07-03-2006, 06:41 AM
How experinced are you. Pike cichlids are considerably more sensetive than convicts and dempseys.

You don't mention the size of your tank which is an important factor but i think i would recommend just convicts (and perhaps sajica cichlids) since you say you don't have room for another large cichlid.

delta
07-03-2006, 06:03 PM
first - the tank is 55 gallons - second - would the convicts be too agressive twards the dempsey - I have heard that the can kill fish that are three times there size - would anything besides the convits work?

William
07-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Convicts cichlids can be very aggressive. I have kept them with a lot of other cichlids of the same size such as blue acaras which is less robust than a dempsey without any problems but you never know for sure. If you gt aggressive convicts they might beat and even kill the dempsey.

Another option might be sajica cichlids.

delta
07-03-2006, 07:04 PM
are these cichlids hard to find? - also what should I expect to pay for one.

one more thing - my dempsey is about 3.5 inches now and in a 25 gallon tank - which order should i add the anew fish - should i put the dempsey in first or the other fish? thanks very much

Full3R
07-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I would put the lesst agressive and the one which is more subjectable to harassment so it can find hiding spots before the other fish can hurt it severly

delta
07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok - is the sajica cichlid verry agressive?

Full3R
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
No, its quite a peaceful fish, if it were me, id put the Sajica in first and leave it for a couple of days then put the Dempsey in

William
07-04-2006, 01:55 AM
I agree. Sajica is not hard to find.

They are rather friendly but can stand their ground to large agressive fish.

delta
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
if i were going to get convict cichlid would i be better to get males or females or does it not matter? - or would 1 male and 2-3 females work? - thanks for your help

William
07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
It is better to keep them in pairs rather than harems however it might be better to just keep one sex to prevent them from breeding to limit aggression.

kirbyr
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
my jack dempsey seems to be more aggressive than either of my convicts, they do tend to quarrel a lot but the convicts are usually the ones who retreat. they have been together for about a year and a half now so i don't think it's really a problem keeping them together