PDA

View Full Version : Help With Snail Identification

emma_421
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
So I was staring aimlessly into my 10 gallon tank last night like I usually do and suddenly I noticed a whole bunch of little, tiny baby snails! Most people would be pissed, but my whole family has come to love the two apple snails we have. The lady who gave me my apple snail said they never mated in the two years that she had them. I'm guessing one of these is an apple snail.... but wait... there seems to be two types of snails in there. Here are some pictures of two snails that i pulled out of my tank, took pictures, and then I put them back into the tank. Can you all please help me identify these? There seems to be more of the spiral looking ones than the other. Sorry about the quality. These guys are REALLY small.

emma_421
10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Here is one more pic.

Azear
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM
The spiral one looks like a Malaysian Trumpet Snail...
The other one... no idea... probably from the physa family... but it's a wild guess...

On the trumpet info, you must be aware that they will breed kinda fast and... without the need of male (only 1 will give baby snails)... so... be aware... theses little one are not easy to get rid off... Also, they have a very solid shell so if you get snail eater fishes, they might be safe... as long as they are enough big ^_^... you also can get some for free at LFS... they tend to try to get rid of them so ;)

still, for the 2nd kind, I'll try to investigate ...

Algenco
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
First: Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) substrate sifters, during the day they will bury in the substrate burrowing along and feeding, they will come out after the lights go out.

Second: looks like common pond snails. Not harmful but very prolific.

If your snails get to plentiful , place a piece of lettuce in the tank at night, remove in the morning , it will be covered in snails

Azear
10-18-2007, 03:32 PM
more info, the 2nd kind might be a Ramshorn Snail... you should google it and see with pictures (and a more closer view on the snail) if they fit... my idea, either Ramshorn or Physa family...

FYI, when trying to identify a snail... it's pretty important to have a view of the shell structure ... like at what angle the shell is build, the orientation of the operculum (Shell door) and the outer/inner lips. Also, the side of the opening (Clockwise or counter-Clockwise)... All theses little details help to identify our little buddy :P

Took me about 1-2 hours to know what kind of apple snail I had the first time I got one :P Tho after, I knew it was a Pomacea bridgesii and was able to get my conditions the better for the breeding. ^_^

Good luck with theses new guys if you're planning to keep them ;)

CAF
10-18-2007, 03:38 PM
As it has been said the first is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. The second appears to be a brown ramshorn. Although Azear is correct, without all of that info it is hard to be absolutely certain when identifiying snails.

ruecole
10-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I know ramshorns and common pond snails can change sex/self-fertilize, but I thought Malaysian Trumpet Snails were the one snail that couldn't?

Rue

Azear
10-18-2007, 06:39 PM
I know ramshorns and common pond snails can change sex/self-fertilize, but I thought Malaysian Trumpet Snails were the one snail that couldn't?

Rue

I've personally experienced it in my own tanks and here's a url that say the same

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Snails,%20Malaysian%20Trumpet.htm

under Breeding.

emma_421
10-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Yes, I am going to keep them as long as they don't cause any serious problems. I kinda like the little guys. As for the second one, do you think it might be an apple snail baby because I had my two full grown apples in that tank before. I will try to get a better picture.

Azear
10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
from the pictures you posted, can't say it much but It doesn't looks like an apple snail... Reason : The spine is formed on itself on the one you have... on the apple snail, they are going out. If you can get better pictures, it'll be easier for sure :P

i.e:

AppleSnail YourSnail

/----\ /----\
| | | |
| ---\ | --\
| | | |
| ---\ | -\ /---
| ---/ | -/ \--- Spine
| | | |
| ---/ | --/
| | | |
\----/ \----/

Still, good luck with theses little monsters :P don't let them reproduce as much as they want... else you want to have a tank full of snails ? ;)

CAF
10-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Thats what puffers and loaches are for.

Azear
10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I hear that goldfish are pretty snail eater too... correct me if I'm wrong...

(In fact, in my small tank, when I had 2 goldfish with half a ton of physa in there... Goldfish were trying to eat them but were spitting them back... dunno if they were trying to eat them or just play with them or attack but well... :P was fun to look at...

Dancin Mike
10-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Trumpet snails and Ramshorn are what you have, i dont know the exact type of ramshorn, but i got plenty. they harmless, nice to look at and for the eco system. i got more than enuff, if anyone wants some, ill be happy to send. and no gold fish wont eat them, if one is dead, but then if anything is dead it might get munched by anything. but a healthy snail gold fish wont eat. they might play with em, but wont do em any harm.:19:

markbob
10-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Will the puffers eat the trumpet snails okay? I just planted my tank last night and have already seen some.

Fishalicious
10-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Malaysian trumpet snails are livebearers - so perfectly little baby trumpets are born

Unfortunately although they are great to keep your substrate clean if they get out of control you have a prob as they are too hard for Puffers and even Botia's have a hard time cracking these guys...

markbob
10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
good to know. I'll try the letus trick.