PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Fred Raud
10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
well,,in a nutshell,,my friend had this aquarium i liked,,and he is moving,,so sold it to me,,He didnt give me much info,,so i figured id find a forum and start reading,,It looks like i have one oscar,,and a jack dempsy(i need to look him up to see what he needs) and tonight i went out and bought a stand for this 55gal aquarium(when my neighbor wakes up in the morning ill have him assist me in putting the aquarium on the stand,,i have it drained to a few inches above the oscar for when i moved it over her,,and will fill it up when i get it on the stand)

Well,,thats my introduction in a nutshell,,

Im off to read the faqs im sure you have here

Fred Raud

PS,,A leech also comes with this tank,,WTH do you feed a leech?

Lady Hobbs
10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
A 55 gallon is generally ruled as about the size (mininium) for one oscar. I don't know the size of your fish but you may have to get a larger tank if you wish to house them both or get another 55 gallon eventually for one of them.
Oscars can get huge.

You could have removed everything from the tank for the move and probably should have. Moving a tank with the weight of the gravel plus water makes for a very heavy process and not good for the tank seal. Just the water swishing can break your seal. The bacteria is not in the water but in the filter media and the gravel so you could have replaced all new water in that tank safely.

I hope you really enjoy your new tank and fish. Do large water changes weekly and feed them good foods and you should have no problems.

Welcome to the forum.

jeffs99dime
10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
welcome to a.c.:ezpi_wink1:

Algenco
10-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Welcome aboard!

country_boy454
10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the forums!

spudbuds
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the forum!

squirt_12
10-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Welcome to the forum!!!!:19:

Nick_Pavlovski
10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow!
A leech, or a loach? They are very different things!
We can help you with loaches - leeches just need blood ^_^

Do read and keep a copy of the free e-book, find it here at http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

CAF
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Welcome to AC!!!! Let us know if we can help you out!

Fred Raud
10-18-2007, 01:08 PM
A 55 gallon is generally ruled as about the size (mininium) for one oscar. I don't know the size of your fish but you may have to get a larger tank if you wish to house them both or get another 55 gallon eventually for one of them.
Oscars can get huge.

You could have removed everything from the tank for the move and probably should have. Moving a tank with the weight of the gravel plus water makes for a very heavy process and not good for the tank seal. Just the water swishing can break your seal. The bacteria is not in the water but in the filter media and the gravel so you could have replaced all new water in that tank safely.

I hope you really enjoy your new tank and fish. Do large water changes weekly and feed them good foods and you should have no problems.

Welcome to the forum.
yes,,ive read the threads here(and elsewhere) on # of oscars vs. tank size,,but i have what I have,,the oscar(orangish in color) measures 8 inches in length,,and the fish im told is a jack dempsy is much smaller,,and anytime i walk in the room,,the jack dempsy seems to try and hide behind the larger oscar fish,ive dropped in the food that was given to me ,is called TetraCichlid Jumbosticks, and TetraCichlid 'Cichlid Sticks'. it looks pretty generic,,and today I will hit a fish shop to see if i can h ire someone to tend to these fish while him gone(i am gone alot,,for weeks at a time,,the guy i bought them from works in the same industry told me he often leaves without feeding them for week,,so i figured an ideal pet,,yet im reading up and finding out thats not the way to care for them,,now my responsibility,,so ill hire someone to care for them while im gone,,anybody here in anchorage?)

so far ive dropped a few of these 'sticks' in ,,and the fish just seem to swim and hide from me and not eat at the sticks,,im wondering if i can just drop some guppies or gold fish in there and 'free feed',,,my landlord has some kids next door i planned on having care for the fish while im out,,,but I think for my first trip i need someone here that is familiar with fish to fix any thing i have set up wrong,,Hopefully a local fish shop has someone who needs some spare change to take care of that,,

i see you mention good foods,,im going to guess if i start a thread about food,,ill get much debate,,(ive read so much conflicting information on the internet,,its tiring,,),,,

and back to 55g with 2 fish(+ leech) it seems that general thought is he has to have turning room,,tanks depth measures 13 inches,,he measures 8 inches,,so im good to go for now,,I am concerned he isnt as large as i think he should be,,but im guessing that its due to the person i bought the set up from not taking the best of care of,,,

At any rateim back to reading,,might make a post today,,Ill post the pics i have now as well,,

Fred Raud

Fred Raud
10-18-2007, 01:12 PM
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

CAF
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Welcome to AC!!!! let us know if we can help out. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Fred Raud
10-18-2007, 06:40 PM
ok,,i found a local aquatics shop who has people that make house calls,,ill be going there this evening,,and decorating up that bland home for these pets,,,will also pick up some type of a test kit,,automatic feeder(since im on a 2 week on 1 off schedule),,and some different type of foods,,ill check back in this forum before i leave to the store,,its nap time for me being im still on a night schedule(one of the non perks of the oil field)

Fred Raud

Incredulous_Ed
10-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Welcome to ac!

squirt_12
10-18-2007, 07:51 PM
is that the only thing that is in that room??

Also it looks like you need some more gravel.

crackatinny
10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome to AC:22:

Fred Raud
10-19-2007, 12:13 AM
is that the only thing that is in that room??

Also it looks like you need some more gravel.
so far yes,only thing in the room,,,as far as the gravel,,yeah,,i figured that out pretty quick,,im leaving to the fish store in a few minutes,,its on my list,,

Fred Raud

mitcore
10-19-2007, 06:44 AM
hi and welcome

digger
10-19-2007, 07:36 PM
hello and welcome

Fred Raud
10-20-2007, 12:21 AM
ok,,i got new gravel,,some plastic plants,,some treat foods,,10 feeder fish,,and since im leaving today for 2 weeks,,ill upload pics of the aquarium in a min

Fred Raud

Fred Raud
10-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I still have to decide if i want to dump the orange gravel,,or just dump it,,and they got quite agitated as i was putting the plants in,,so i only put 1 of the 2 in,,and didnt bother with the background i got for it,,ill settle that when i get back,,im leaving them with 4 types of fish food,,and 2 'treat' food,,yet left the instructions to not over feed,,(and the guy from the aquatics store will be here tomorrow or the next day),,i left them a 10 quart bucket with chlorine treatement,,some algae treatment,,and some ich treatment,,i think that if i missed anything the guy from the fish store will be happy to charge away,,

Fred Raud