PDA

View Full Version : Krib violence!

Special-K
10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
i bought my pair of kribs out of a large tank full of em, and the male does not like the female AT ALL. if he sees her he gets all rigid and flares his fins and then proceeds to chase her until she finally evades him. will he eventually accept her as they age or am i out of luck? is there any way to lessen his aggression??

~Erik3.8.07~
10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
maybe more females would lessen the aggrssion? sorry i dont know a whole lot about kribs

CAF
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Are you certain it is a female and not a sub-dominant male? I haven't kept Kribs myself so I have little to offer....

Special-K
10-16-2007, 08:30 PM
it is definitely a female. she has the rounded dorsal tip and stubbier body form

CAF
10-16-2007, 08:32 PM
it is definitely a female. she has the rounded dorsal tip and stubbier body form
I know with a few other species of cichlids agression is a big part of the courtship ritual.... I just do not know about Kribs though.... hopefully someone else here will. Good luck.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
when i got my pair, i picked them out of a tank full of them aswell and as soon as they got home they started that. the male just chased my female around for about a week, it looked a bit disheartning and i considered taking one of them back to exchange them but i thought id try and "wait" it out. so after about a week of this behaviour the male eventually grew to "like" her and they have since had two attemps at breeding. the first lot of eggs got eaten by my bristlenose and the second lot hatched and survived till they were two days old and i think they got eaten by the parents. i think though with cichlids they loose their first couple of batches so im still hopefull that i will have success eventually. so my suggestion would be wait it out a week or two and give the female lots of places to hide though so she can have a rest when she needs it.
good luck with your new fish and i hope things work out for them :11:

Special-K
10-16-2007, 11:18 PM
thanks for the infor arkie. ill just have to be patient and let them work things out. while were talking about kribs, what are some decent tankmates for a pair in a 20 gallon... or should i just leave them with the otos?

Arkie
10-16-2007, 11:27 PM
depends really, ive only had my kribs for two months so im still learning myself, but ive had mine in the community tank with, danios, tetras, 2 small angels,bristlenose pleco,clown loaches, and some livebearers with no aggression, but i separated them to breed, now they are in a tank with a small convict and a baby sailfin pleco and i still have no aggression. i think it really depends on the individual fish, if there are enough hiding places and whether theyre breeding or not.

Special-K
10-16-2007, 11:33 PM
hmm. id really like to have a small school of corys but they are in the same zone of the tank as the kribs usually.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 11:42 PM
im not sure cause yeah they are in the same zone, mine dont really pick on or even take notice of any other fish in my tank. do you have a second tank you could put the cory's into if it didnt work out?

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 11:51 PM
they shouldn't be in a tank with corys because they will fight for the territory of the bottom of the tank. Also since they are a pair i would just leave them in the tank alone. Cause when they go to breed they will either scare all of the fish the other side of the tank or they will kill them. Usually you could put top dwellers in there. But you can only just put some in and try. LIke i think that maybe some hatchets (marble) could work...but i am not 100% sure. I think that if youa re going ot breed them that you should just leave them in the tank by themselves...well with the ottos too.

Arkie
10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
im just going on my kribs and my experiences with them. what may work for me mightn't work for others. i have the enough tank space to mix and match to find what does work and what doesnt thats all. i spose its all trial and error. :c3:

kirk
12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
i had kribs and exchanged them because of this reason omg im so stupid:( well im gona try again now...
would they be ok with neons??

YaYgoldFish
12-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Kirk please try not to bring up old topics.

Anyways, if you get a male and female you can`t have neons with them, The neons will constantly be harrassed by the mating pair. But if you get one krib you could no problem.

snipers_den
01-01-2008, 05:35 AM
have you got plenty of hiding spaces for them...a few caves or small flower pots should help out some