PDA

View Full Version : going with sand

Angelfish11788
12-07-2012, 11:45 PM
I always wanted sand and well a bit scared. So with my 20L I am going with sand. My question is after the sand settles down the first time; when you go to gravel vac will it always make a mess. I am going with a big sponge filter so not to worried about clogging the filter.:22:

Cliff
12-08-2012, 12:22 AM
It is a little different than cleaning gravel as you don't have to go as deep to get the crud out of the sand. You will quickly get the hang of it and once you do, it's no different than cleaning any other substrate, at least IME

Angelfish11788
12-08-2012, 01:19 AM
alright sound good, thanks, idk why i always had a fear of always having a cloudy tank. thanks cliff..

ps.. I hope those fish take care of you.. your avatar

sheamurai
12-08-2012, 03:05 PM
You don't have to worry about clogging your filters if you just leave your input tube a few inches above the substrate. The sand won't move unless you or something actually get to digging in it. I don't sink my python into the sand at all when vacumming, skimming the surface works just fine. You actually don't want to disturb the water too much while cleaning, as it stirs up the detritus off the sand making it harder to suction.

I love sand substrate, don't think I will ever go back to gravel, aside from flourite and the like...

Angelfish11788
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
thanks yall, picked up some sand, now just waiting on the light and a heater