PDA

View Full Version : help they're dying!!

nnn
07-01-2006, 05:04 AM
we purchased a saltwater tank from a store going out of business. it was an established tank. we set it up ans all was well for about 2 weeks but now things are suddenly starting to die. there are 2 sea anemones and they are almost dead. and the clown fish doesnt look so good either, can someone walk me through this?

Full3R
07-01-2006, 05:17 AM
Check your water status, with saltwater tanks u should check the water parameters everyday and when you set the tank up at home did you put new water in it?

nnn
07-01-2006, 05:23 AM
we used the same water, I have checked the slinity and temp. both are o.k what else do you suggest

Full3R
07-01-2006, 07:11 AM
i could only suggest a water change on the accounts there may be something in the water

William
07-01-2006, 06:25 PM
More info about your setup might help us help you.

what filtration etc are you using.

stubbytheplecostomus
08-26-2006, 09:28 PM
check your ph, your nitrates, nitrites, and amonia levels. all will be the cause of your die off. How big is the tank, the smaller it is the more water changes you should do.

but also anenomies cycle through periods of "blossom" and "retreat" (not scientific terms) sometimes they look almost dead but then come back. also anenomies need to be feed, you can feed them most anything, but there is special food for such creatures you can buy at a aquarium shop or online.

saltwater tanks take alot of practice and trial and error, it was almost a year before i got the hang of it. i would recomend only keeping hardy and easily kept fish for awhile untill things start stabalizing.

kat
09-03-2006, 01:12 AM
You may not have enough light to sustain an anemone...they should really only be kept under metal halide. One of the first sources of death will be ammonia, the next will be nitrates. No matter how quickly you re-set up the tank, there will have been die off and the tank is most likely cycling again.

AQUA_KING
11-26-2006, 02:41 AM
You may not have enough light to sustain an anemone...they should really only be kept under metal halide. One of the first sources of death will be ammonia, the next will be nitrates. No matter how quickly you re-set up the tank, there will have been die off and the tank is most likely cycling again.

Anemones take ages to die. They were prolly dieing for ages. I hate when they are taken from the sea coz this is what happends. In the wild they lve for 100s of years. Some live forever (asexual breeding). I the aquarium they rarely reach the 3 year mark. you will need to do water changes, are you using RO or tap? What else is in there.?