PDA

View Full Version : Oscar won't eat

rainforestcooie
10-16-2007, 12:12 AM
my Oscar hasn't eatern for 4 day and this is the 5th. we feed him Hikari Cichlid Gold lg food. Could it be he doesn't like the new packet we just opened as it seems to be when he stopped eating?
the tank is large enough for him plenty big enough. and he seems happy enought too but although he is hungry he will take the food in but he spits it out again straight away.
please help he is an older fish about 25cms long and the only one in his tank .

cocoa_pleco
10-16-2007, 12:16 AM
try giving him something else like live crickets. they need a varied diet so the pellets might just feel blah to him. mine gets algae wafers, flakes, pellets, crickets, everything, and he never goes on hunger strikes.

good luck!

Arkie
10-16-2007, 12:19 AM
i agree with cocoa, try changing his food a bit. good luck.

rainforestcooie
10-16-2007, 01:45 AM
i'll give it a try
grasshoppers are not around atm but I will look out for other things,
he wouldn't be sick would he?? I would hate for my son to come home and find him gone, so would i for that matter

cocoa_pleco
10-16-2007, 01:50 AM
to make sure hes not sick, we need some info,

tank size
ammonia level
nitrate level
nitrite level
water change schedule

Nick89
10-16-2007, 01:54 AM
and filtration also.

oscarfish21
10-28-2007, 01:26 PM
yeah he needs diffrent food sources i feed mine shrimp as well as cichlid pellets and large flakes everyday to give him the ballanced diet he needs

rainforestcooie
11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
still need help here . water is fine plenty of filtration tank size is 1200mm by 450mm high by 300mm wide. water qulity id good, we change out water every week by about 1/3 and vacume weekly. tryed feeding grasshoppers etc but no luck, he did start to eat when we got the tank water etc right but now nothing again for about 1 week. he will eat sometimes but spits it back out again.
are we doing something wrong or do they get like this when they get old.

Arkie
11-14-2007, 08:48 AM
im not sure if they get like that as they age as ive only got young ones (a 12 month old and two 6 month olds), but have you tried some small feeder fish? not sure if it will work??? good luck

Ocellatus
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
if you didn't find the answer of your problem, i suggest you instead of trying varity of foods and getting no result, just bring him a female.

i know male oscars might not eat properly for around a month in their outbreed or breeding period. ( as my male do it now )
they might even lose some weight but they will be ok after that.

here you have a single one but i just guess hes looking for a mate and shows some maturity behaviors. maybe i'm wrong but i would try that.

good luck.

Nick89
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
im not sure if they get like that as they age as ive only got young ones (a 12 month old and two 6 month olds), but have you tried some small feeder fish? not sure if it will work??? good luck

I wouldnt try the feeder fish. As they are unhealthy and could spread diseases and make your fish much worse. You could try some frozen foods, or perhaps crickets as they can be smaller than the grasshopper and he might eat it. But id stay away from feeder fish unless you have your own in a separate tank and you know they are healthy, but theres still a chance they could have a disease.

2manyfish
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
How old is old?

Has anybody figured out the size of this tank? I'll have to see if I can find an on-line conversion for the size....

I would not add another oscar. I would not try any feeder fish. What I would do is some more water changes. Try doing two water changes per week and see if that doesn't perk him up. Don't worry about his not eating because fish can go quite some time without food and be just fine. More important is his water quality (because you said he perked up and ate after the last wc) and if you notice any other signs of illness in the fish. Like does he keep his fins clamped shut? Are there any parasites on him (like grains of salt = ich)? Do the sensory holes in his head and along the lateral line look enlarged?

2manyfish
11-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Approx. conversion:

1200mm = 47 inches length
450mm = 17 inches height
300mm = 11 inches width

which according to the tank size sticky on this site equals to a 40g long. Which means you are going to need to continue doing several water changes per week or get a bigger tank for the fish. One thing I should have asked is how big is your fish?

Ocellatus
11-16-2007, 10:20 PM
thats 43g.
and he said that the fish is 25 cm. you don't need to do the math :D its 10"
i believe the current problem has nothing to do with the tank size.

2manyfish
11-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Missed the size of the fish in the first post! :ssuprised: But yeah, the size of the fish and the size of the tank could very well be an issue, especially if the amount of water changes are not keeping up with the bioload.

posted by Rainforestcooie
we change out water every week by about 1/3 and vacume weekly. tryed feeding grasshoppers etc but no luck, he did start to eat when we got the tank water etc right but now nothing again for about 1 week.

That's why I think it is a water quality problem. (BTW I put the italics in the quote above just to highlight what I was talking about)

cocoa_pleco
11-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Missed the size of the fish in the first post! :ssuprised: But yeah, the size of the fish and the size of the tank could very well be an issue, especially if the amount of water changes are not keeping up with the bioload.

That's why I think it is a water quality problem. (BTW I put the italics in the quote above just to highlight what I was talking about)

2manyfish hit this one right on the nail

Ocellatus
11-17-2007, 08:39 AM
oh yeah your right, i didn't notice this he did start to eat when we got the tank water etc right
i just read "we do 1/3 water change and vacume weekly ... water quality is good ... plenty of filtration" then i thought theres no problem with the water.

2manyfish
11-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Blu-ray, both you and I missed stuff in the posts! :hmm3grin2orange:

Oscarguy158
12-12-2008, 01:58 AM
I have the same problem with my five oscars. I just moved three out of my 125 gal tank into my old 55 gal tank hoping that the remaining two in the 125 would hook up and give us some babies. Now none of the five will eat much at all. I also just installed a new Fluval 305 in the 55 and cleaned out the Fluval 305 in the 125 for the first time. Man it was nasty. Now I have not checked the quality of the water yet so that may be the problem. I am feeding Hikari Cichlid gold and have been for a while. I might try some flakes or veggies soon if they don't start eating again. I agree about not feeding live fish. I had a breeding pair during college and fed them minnows and gold fish. Both eventually developed hole in the head disease and eventually killed themselves by knocking their heater into the tank. It was an old style heater back in the 1980's so it didn't really like being submerged much. I was quite sad to lose them both at the same time. Anyway, if anyone has any tips on how to get these guys (and hopefully gals) breeding and eating please let me know.

cocoa_pleco
12-12-2008, 02:46 AM
threads over a year old