PDA

View Full Version : update on kribs

Arkie
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
late yesterday i think my kribs ate their fry, theres not one baby anyway (but they were small so its hard to find them), but the parents arent guarding the pot anymore and seem to have forgotten they had anything to do with any babies.
im not sure whether i should move the parents and just wait and see if any babies have hidden and might survive or just not to bother with it????? any ideas???

squirt_12
10-15-2007, 11:51 PM
sorry to hear that...but do you have another tank that could withstand a pair??? like a semi sggressive cichlid tank??? or a community tank with top dwellers in it??

Arkie
10-15-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah i can just put them back in the community tank or the tank with my small convict. i think i might do that, the convict isnt aggressive and i think they should be ok, the kribs dont seem to mind other fish (for now anyways lol), ill do it now :laugh1blue:

squirt_12
10-15-2007, 11:56 PM
yeah i can just put them back in the community tank or the tank with my small convict. i think i might do that, the convict isnt aggressive and i think they should be ok, the kribs dont seem to mind other fish (for now anyways lol), ill do it now :laugh1blue:
witht he convict...do you have lots of hiding places???? cause just to be on the safe side i would make sure i had lots of plants and caves and such for the kribs to hide in. How big is the convict??? and how big are the kribs?? if they are close in size then they should be fine.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 12:06 AM
there's heaps of hiding places, two huge anubus (not correct spelling lol) plants, a pot, two lengths of pvc pipe and a hollow piece of driftwood. all the fish are about the same size too, all about 4-5cm. not very big fish at all. they seem to be going ok at the moment but ill be keeping a very close eye on all!!! thanks squirt :laugh1blue:

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:26 AM
how big is the tank that the convict is in??
And from what you said you have in it then you will be safe. Cause that is LOTS of spots for them to hide in. Just keep them well fed and they shouldn't bother each other.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 12:29 AM
its a 2 ft tank, there are loads of hiding places and they get fed twice a day, once in the morning and at night - a mixture of flakes and small cichlid pellets.

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:32 AM
yeah that sounds like it should work....but i would keep a close eye on them. Also is your convict fully grown??? sorry about all of the questions. lol.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 12:38 AM
hey questions are good!!! no the convict is nowhere near fully grown, i got it on friday, the girl at the pet shop (who is a mate so i cant be to mean... but i dont think she knows all that much), told me that it was a boy and it had just been breeding with their female convict in the shop tanks. i got it home and my girl immeadiately started picking on it so i seperated it as i think its a girl aswell. im having a hard time finding a male convict in this town hey!!! anyway to your question (im rambling sorry) no its not fully grown, only like 4 cm long and a bit thin so ill feed it up and see what happens.

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:44 AM
hey questions are good!!! no the convict is nowhere near fully grown, i got it on friday, the girl at the pet shop (who is a mate so i cant be to mean... but i dont think she knows all that much), told me that it was a boy and it had just been breeding with their female convict in the shop tanks. i got it home and my girl immeadiately started picking on it so i seperated it as i think its a girl aswell. im having a hard time finding a male convict in this town hey!!! anyway to your question (im rambling sorry) no its not fully grown, only like 4 cm long and a bit thin so ill feed it up and see what happens.
thats ok..i ramble alot too....but 4cm?? thats small. So yeah they will def. be fine together.

Yeah well the petsmart by me had all sorts of males and females. lol. is there a petsmart close to you?? is that what you look at?

Arkie
10-16-2007, 12:50 AM
nah no petsmart here,,, there is one pet shop in town (where i got the convict from), it has another shop about 10 mins drive away but it is mainly for plants and dogs. the other two pet shops are out there to, one is small and not properly managed (she hardly knows whats in her tanks) and the last one is ok but ive been out there aswell, with the same results (thought i got a boy but i got a girl). its just stupid hey....??? rather annoying

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:53 AM
yeah you think that is someone is working with fish that they would know what they are doing....lol. Like i work at a pet store and i know some about fish, reptiles, birds, and cats. Don't know much about dogs.

Could i see a pic of the convict and the kribs???

are the now in the tank together?

Arkie
10-16-2007, 01:08 AM
yeah theyre in the tank together, the convict seems a tad scared of the kribs??? so no problems as yet, fingers crossed there are none. my battery is dead in the camera so ill recharge it and try and put photos on here, havent done it before so wish me luck!!!! lol :confused:

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 01:10 AM
ok...well if you put it as a thumbnail you might have to resize it. just a littl heads up. lol.
can't wait for pics.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 01:16 AM
well the camera is recharging so heres hoping i can do it!!!

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 01:17 AM
well it's ok if you don't get them up for a ouple of days....i will wait for you to get it all figured out. lol.

DaleJr08
10-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Why not leave the kribs in the tank they are in? If they breed once, they will surely to do it again. On a side note, the fry may not be gone. I had a pair breed and one day the fry seemed to have vanished. A couple days later I saw a huge cloud of fry swimming around with the mother. Yours may have just been moved by the parents, it is their job to hide them from you lol.

John

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Why not leave the kribs in the tank they are in? If they breed once, they will surely to do it again. On a side note, the fry may not be gone. I had a pair breed and one day the fry seemed to have vanished. A couple days later I saw a huge cloud of fry swimming around with the mother. Yours may have just been moved by the parents, it is their job to hide them from you lol.

John
thats why she moved them....to see if any fry would come out if she took the parents out. She thinks that the parents ate the fry so she is taking them out to see if any survived. If some did i think that she is going to grow them up and then breed her kribs again in the tank that the bred in before.

But i get what your saying.

Arkie
10-16-2007, 03:57 AM
i moved them just incase some did survive but im fairly sure they havent. i know they will breed again and they will be going back in their tank for that when the time comes.

CAF
10-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I would leave the kribs in their own tank. It is common for new cichlid parents to either eat the eggs or the fry for the first few spawns until they figure out how to do it correctly. If they do not have it down by the 5th spawn, then I would start trying to rear them artifically.