PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Shrimp Likes Filter Floss

7Sparrows
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I bought my first bamboo shrimp last week and placed him in my 55 gallon community tank. I also had an old filter cartridge in there to keep wet that I was going to be moving to a new filter in a couple days to help seed it.

Well, I haven't moved the cartridge yet because my bamboo shrimp won't leave it alone! He spends a lot of time on the filter floss feasting on all of the little particles stuck to it. I'm thrilled that he's eating so enthusiastically, but is it OK to leave filter floss in there like this for him to feed from? Or should I remove it and let him find his food the way bamboo shrimp normally do?

Brhino
12-07-2012, 05:04 PM
mine has camped out on my sponge filter a few times. You've basically got a dirty sponge filter with no water flow, so I'm not surprised the shrimp likes it. Doesn't seem like a long-term solution though, I would move it like you had planned to and see if it can find other food.

7Sparrows
12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, Brhino. I had been contemplating getting some plain filter floss that isn't connected to a cartridge and rotating a few pieces from the filter into the tank for him, but I think this is just me being nervous about caring for him properly. I'm so happy he's eating and am hesitant to ruin a good thing.

I'll move the cartridge out this weekend as planned and observe him for a few days. The tank has been established for several years so I probably shouldn't worry so much about him having enough to eat.