PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO! Picked up my Anemone!!!

Rue
10-15-2007, 11:20 PM
She's acclimating NOW!!!

Yippee! Waited months for her! Hope she's okay...the previous owner had to convince her to 'let go!' her rock...but she's firmly stuck to the side of the plastic bag and I can't see any real damage to her foot.

She's supposed to be a green bubble-tip...but she ain't lookin' too bubble-tipped at the moment...I'll let you know how it goes...

Rue
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
...hmm...she just slid down the plastic bag!...

Drumachine09
10-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Two questions.

1.)The pics are where?!?!?!?!

2.)Whats an obfuscator?

cocoa_pleco
10-16-2007, 12:02 AM
congrats!!!!!!

Rue
10-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I'll try and get pics tomorrow...not too exciting seeing her sit in a plastic bag...not to mention she's stressed out and not looking her best at the moment...;)

obfuscate:

To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand: “A great effort was made . . . to obscure or obfuscate the truth” (Robert Conquest).
To render indistinct or dim; darken: The fog obfuscated the shore.
[Latin obfuscāre, obfuscāt-, to darken : ob-, over; see ob– + fuscāre, to darken (from fuscus, dark).]

Rue
10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks Cocoa...I feel like I got a new puppy...

...one hour down...another hour to go!

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:06 AM
:18: PICS....PICS.....PICS......when she is looking good and settled in....:18:

EDIT- OMG i totally forgot...i feel so dumb.... CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cocoa_pleco
10-16-2007, 12:09 AM
lol, anemones are just like puppies!

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:11 AM
lol, anemones are just like puppies!
hahahahaha...yeah they are cute and cool to look at....now i have a question..it may sound dumb but anyways...if you touch an anemone would you get a shock like a fish would????

cocoa_pleco
10-16-2007, 12:12 AM
yep, i once transfered a anemone in an emergency by hand and got a nice sting. it was a major panic and all i could find to catch it with was a crappy rubber glove

Rue
10-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Cocoa can best answer that...

...but in short...YES!

I'll be using tweezer to mover her in the tank...or my reef gloves...

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:15 AM
yeah cause i knew that some fish can enter them if the anemone lets them (eg. clowns) and well i just thought that if fish can get stings that if humans can.....well thanks for answering that cocoa.
Was it like a painfull sting....or was it just a shock??? like scared you??

Drumachine09
10-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Its not really a shock.

They have MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of these little spear gun like thingys called nematocysts. When they feel something touch them, the shoot them out. The venom in them is not always harmful to humans, but you can feel them most of the time.

cocoa_pleco
10-16-2007, 12:17 AM
it didint scare me because i pretty much knew it was harmless, but it hurt like he!!. that and bristleworm spines HURT

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:23 AM
cool cool.....ok well can only certain fish house in anemones???

Rue
10-16-2007, 12:27 AM
I think they only host clownfish...that have developed a thick mucus layer to protect against stings...and some anemones host inverts as well, such as shrimp...

Speaking of hosting...one of my hermits has a small feather duster growing on it's shell...

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:29 AM
ok well just off of movies and such...do the clowns have to like rub against the anemone so that the anemone gets used to it??? and knows the clowns taste and such??? or is that a myth??

Drumachine09
10-16-2007, 12:45 AM
They will only host anemonefish, not just clowns. Clowns, along with a few damsels are the only anemone fish I am aware of.

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 12:48 AM
o....ok thanks for clearing that up....i am very interested in this kind of stuff. lol.

unleashed
10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
I think they only host clownfish...that have developed a thick mucus layer to protect against stings...and some anemones host inverts as well, such as shrimp...

Speaking of hosting...one of my hermits has a small feather duster growing on it's shell...
pretty much most species of anemone fish (includes clowns and damsels) will host in an anemone. Also, some inverts such as crabs and shrimp will also host in them

CAF
10-16-2007, 03:25 PM
They will only host anemonefish, not just clowns. Clowns, along with a few damsels are the only anemone fish I am aware of.
Yellow Clown Gobies will occassionally be hosted by an anemone....

2manyfish
10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Don't use tweezers Rue! Use the gloves...you don't want to damage the anemone and because they are rather squishy they can be very tricky to grab with those tweezers!

Sure they can sting you...I've been stung by several types of anemones but the worst sting I ever got was from a hairy mushroom coral. Finger turned red, swelled up, had the shakes, pain, etc...for some reason I just reacted to that coral... :sconfused:

Rue
10-16-2007, 06:52 PM
...oh dear...now I'm really going to have to watch myself around my hairy mushrooms...I was wondering how 'powerful' their sting was, they look so harmless...

I did move her with the long-handled tweezers...but didn't squish her with them, just used them to lift her out of the plastic bag and to locate her in the rockwork...I hope I didn't hurt her at all...now I'm worried!

I posted a pic in another thread...she's so cute! :41:

CAF
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I pick up Hairy Mushrooms all of the time by hand and have never been stung.... Why are you using tweezers? Am I missing something or been extremely lucky?

Rue
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Sorry...I wasn't clear...

I used tweezers to move the anemone into the tank...best not to handle them bare-handed.

The hairy mushrooms gave Barb a bad reaction, so I'll be watching out that I don't inadvertantly brush against mine...just in case...

CAF
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry...I wasn't clear...

I used tweezers to move the anemone into the tank...best not to handle them bare-handed.

The hairy mushrooms gave Barb a bad reaction, so I'll be watching out that I don't inadvertantly brush against mine...just in case...
Gotcha.... I missed the part about Barb and Hairy Mushrooms.... LOL

Thanks for clearing it up.