PDA

View Full Version : this seems rather odd

~Erik3.8.07~
10-14-2007, 10:54 PM
one of my male fancy guppies looks almost like he is trying to breed with one of my platies, is that even possible:confused: they are both orange in color if that has anything to do with it. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

(p.s my other platy who looks very pregnant looks like she could give birth at any moment now woo-hoothumbs2: )

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 10:56 PM
well my guppies have tried to do that with my very pregnant swordtails before. But even if they get sperm into them it isn't going to fertilize them. So there is nothing to worry about. Do you have any female guppies in the tank??

P.S.
Good luck with the platies.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-14-2007, 11:03 PM
nope no females now, maybe later on i'll get some, but i dont want to deal with all those babies yet lol

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
yeah they are doing this because they want to breed but they have nothing to fertilize so they are tring to fertilize the other. Like my 2 males do that ALL the time so i am eventually gonna get them 2 girls each to have fun with. lol. ;)

Arkie
10-15-2007, 12:08 AM
my boy guppies and boy swordtails did that for like a week straight untill i got some girls of both species, they are all good now though, and ive got some pregnant fishies out of it lol!!!!

mitcore
10-16-2007, 03:22 AM
i saw one of my male guppies only this morning trying to breed with my big sword
she just swam away from him LOL
now if only i could do that LOL

CAF
10-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Livebearers are dumb.... they will try to mate with anything if there are no females of their species present.

And no platies and guppies will not crossbreed, however platies and swords can...

If guppies are correctly described scientifically they CAN cross with mollies as both are from the genus Poecilia... I have never heard of it happening, thus my bold if....

scruffy
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I have a male fancy guppy that has been hot after my male sailfin molly for months!

deckard_wa
10-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Livebearers are dumb.... they will try to mate with anything if there are no females of their species present.

Plenty of humans are dumb that way too :ezpi_wink1: