PDA

View Full Version : My current big oscar (pic)

Fishguy2727
10-14-2007, 03:44 AM
He is in the 75 with a very odd combination of other fish.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/oscar.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMGP1630.jpg

Arkie
10-14-2007, 05:15 AM
nice pics, he looks like my biggest oscar. how big is he? and what are the other fish he is with? i have mine in with two other smaller oscars, (a black one and a white one), a jewel cichlid, a female convict and two yoyo loaches and they all seem to be getting along fine..... as long as they respect that oscar (my big one) is king of the tank that is!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

kimmers318
10-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Very pretty oscar. Good idea to keep those water changes large as that many fish can overtax a situation. Hubby used to have 2 8" O's in a 90 gallon with a pleco. He did his weekly water changes, but never tested his water and actually bragged about the fact that I was always busy with my tanks, still lost fish occasionally, and he didn't do diddly and his were doing fine. Then all of a sudden they started showing signs of illness, skin lacked luster etc. He tried all kinds of medications, then they stopped wanting to eat. I finally stepped in one day because I couldn't take it anymore.....found his nitrates to be off the charts.....took 3 days in a row of large water changes to get them at levels that you could read on the chart. The whole situation weakened those poor guys enough that they never bounced back and he had to euthanize them.

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Very pretty oscar. Good idea to keep those water changes large as that many fish can overtax a situation. Hubby used to have 2 8" O's in a 90 gallon with a pleco. He did his weekly water changes, but never tested his water and actually bragged about the fact that I was always busy with my tanks, still lost fish occasionally, and he didn't do diddly and his were doing fine. Then all of a sudden they started showing signs of illness, skin lacked luster etc. He tried all kinds of medications, then they stopped wanting to eat. I finally stepped in one day because I couldn't take it anymore.....found his nitrates to be off the charts.....took 3 days in a row of large water changes to get them at levels that you could read on the chart. The whole situation weakened those poor guys enough that they never bounced back and he had to euthanize them.
thats very sad :(

I am sorry to hear that.

by euthanize them do you mean 'kill' them???

Fishguy2727
10-14-2007, 01:58 PM
He is about 4" right now. He is in the 75 with a lot of other fish.

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 02:00 PM
very cool fishguy. Is it a male or female??

Fishguy2727
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
You can't tell until you either see her lay eggs or him fertilize them. There are a couple other methods, but are more advanced. Basically you can't tell by looking at them.

Ocellatus
10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
nice one fishguy.
here is my pair, photos are taken 4 months ago, now they are 8 and 9 inch.

http://i20.tinypic.com/14qkig.jpg

http://i22.tinypic.com/5ydugi.jpg

i like her yellow theme :)

spudbuds
10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice looking oscar fishguy. Thanks for sharing!

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 10:18 PM
very nice oscars blue ray.....and fishguy...they are a very cool fish.

Nick89
10-14-2007, 11:49 PM
very nice. i think oscars look really funny (in a good way) when they look at you like as if you were talking to someone in front of you. their eyes and face look funny kind of like having big ol eyes and a tiny face when they are little lol

Arkie
10-15-2007, 12:05 AM
ive never seen an oscar with yellow on it, now i want one of those too!!!!! nice fish :thumb:

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 02:33 AM
awesome pics!

i would get one of mine, but it would be almost impossible. i have the tank set up as a low light amazon tank with a crappy light fixture, and the tank is pure tannin

2manyfish
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Nice oscar Fishguy! :19: Love the goldfish too! What a cutie and I bet they get along really well together :c3:

Nice oscars Blu-ray! Man I love these guys, if I could I'd have a couple of them but I don't have the room for so many big fish. Unless of course we can get Cocoa to breed a dwarf oscar! :ezpi_wink1:

Since everyone is showing off their O here is mine. He's somewhere around 8 to 9 inches (very hard to tell as he won't hold still whenever I get close to the tank)....

2manyfish
10-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Ooppsss forgot the pic!

Nick89
10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
yah i dont know what i want for an oscar. its either a red tiger or a red oscar. But all the red oscars ive seen look kind of dirty. But the one 2many posted was very nice.

2manyfish
10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Thank you AquaKid! :c3:

If I could, I would have an albino, a lutino and a tiger oscar. Maybe even a long finned one if I could find a nice one. But see that would be 4 more big tanks and no room for them....

ruecole
10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Those are some seriously cool looking fish!

Most oscars I've seen are just dull brown. I never realized they came in such an array of colour!

BTW, am I the only one who sees the word OMEGA written on the side of Fishguy's fish? :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue

Ocellatus
10-17-2007, 11:25 AM
some new shots for you guys.
sunshine's done a good job :)
i also put them in the competition.
thats the new 35g tank ( yeah you can complain me :D )

Nick89
10-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Nice fish, but 2 oscars in a 35 is a really, really bad idea. Usually 1 oscar is a minimum for a 55, and 75 being the absolute best option, for just 1.

Ocellatus
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
just a cheap internal filter!
I think you won't believe that I've kept [ two 8" oscars + two 5" red devils + 12" knife fish + 4" green terror + 5" pleco + 4" pangasius ] in a 32g/120litr tank for 8 months!! ( mentioned sizes are for the 8th month = present time )
I started that full loaded tank with some more fishes and even without cycling.
I now that i didn't keep them well but I'm glad that all of them are ok after this period.
at this time I'm preparing some new tanks for them. two new 40g and one 35g. i know its still small for them and without suitable filtration but thats the best i can do. i can't afford more than this at this time.
that pics are in the new 35g tank i set up 6 days ago. at least now my oscars have a 35g for themselves http://www.phalls.com/vbulletin/images/mysmilies/icon_redface.gif
sorry for made you read this unpleasant story ...

but don't worry, I'm almost sure that they will breed there.

Nick89
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
A 40 gallon isnt quite big enough either. I really think the best thing to do is if you cant afford whats needed to accomodate the fish, is to bring them back and get some fish that are more suitable for a 35 gallon. And with the cheap internal filter, it isnt enough for 2 oscars. If anything save up for a decent filter(s). 1 oscar needs a 55-75 especially at their size now. So for those 2 oscars, I think a 90 gallon tank would be best. Again many people have different opinions on this subject.

Incredulous_Ed
10-17-2007, 10:52 PM
very nice oscar you have there!

Ocellatus
10-18-2007, 12:43 AM
A 40 gallon isnt quite big enough either. I really think the best thing to do is if you cant afford whats needed to accomodate the fish, is to bring them back and get some fish that are more suitable for a 35 gallon. And with the cheap internal filter, it isnt enough for 2 oscars. If anything save up for a decent filter(s). 1 oscar needs a 55-75 especially at their size now. So for those 2 oscars, I think a 90 gallon tank would be best. Again many people have different opinions on this subject.
bring them back? you think you're gonna help them with this? you think they will be in a better place? let me assure you that if i bring them back, they keep them in a small rotting tank till they die or if they are lucky they will be moved to a customer tank worse than what i've prepared for them. things are different here man. the store mans have never heard about nitrogen cycle or partial water change or biological filtration and so on.
I'm trying to do my best for them. i've kept them for months i've felt their growth i was watching when they became mature and stopped fighting and started a shared life. they're more important than my friends to me and then you tell me bring them back you're not qualified to keep them!

anyway, I'll get a better filter as soon as i can. and i'm thinking for a larger home for them. but i REALLY can't do them all at once.

and let me apologize for talking offensively, i really felt upset.
and thanks for your info. i'm gonna learn many things here.

Nick89
10-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Hey, im only trying to help you out, but whatever do want ya want.

cocoa_pleco
10-18-2007, 01:24 AM
heres a crappy picture of my oscar. his tank is a dark amazon theme so its hard to get a bright fixture. his filter is a RESUN canister rated for a 220g tank. i got him about 2 months ago, and hes doubled in size

Nick89
10-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Nice Oscar cocoa, is he your favorite fish?

cocoa_pleco
10-18-2007, 01:43 AM
hes the one that pays attention to me most, but i dont really have any favorites

TowBoater
10-18-2007, 02:00 AM
Blu-Ray, not need to reply directly to me but I am going to state my opinion on what you are doing to those two oscars. Yes they are alive but are they thriving? Are they living to their full potential? NO they are not, you know why? Because you placed them in a smaller space which stunted their growth which in turn stunted the lifespan of them, what could be a 15"+ fish is now an 8" fish because of that. Oscars are messy eaters and should be provided excellent filtration for that reason with regular water changes which hopefully you do that and more for them. One oscar in a 55g is fine with me but a 75g is ideal if you want it to thrive. Think of it this way, could you live in a closet if everything was brought to you like food and water? Yes you could but would you be happy, even if you had someone in there it would make it even more cramped and even less happy, can you live a full and happy life in a closet? I know I can't but maybe you are a special person who can. I don't keep larger fish for that purpose, I can't provide what they need. I agree with aqua on that if you can't provide what the fish needs then don't get it, no use in doing that to a fish who don't deserve it. Now you are probably very angry with me now but that is ok because what I said is correct and many people on here will agree with me on this, if you do this stuff you don't need to keep fish but if you are still going to do it, please don't tell me because I will go off on you every time with a post like this, it is un-ethical and not needed. Hopefully you can provide a better environment for those beautiful fish or take them to someone who can. I will now step off my soap box.

Nick89
10-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Khuli, i agree 110% on this. It's not a matter of just keeping the water clean, and keeping them well fed. It's about the oscar being able to move around comfortably. Hope you decide on a bigger tank or different fish. good luck. Remember, 1 oscar needs a minimum of 55 gallons 75 gallons is definitely the better option.

Ocellatus
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
i won't bother you anymore with my posts which also take me an hour to make them in english.
but thats interesting to me that you can turn a 2" oscar to a +15" one during 7.5 months.

good luck.

TowBoater
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Never said it was only 7.5 months, them fish can reach 15+ inches but I guarantee you it won't in that confined space.

Ocellatus
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I'll send you their pics when they reach that http://www.bazicenter.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin1.gif

TowBoater
10-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Sad I won't ever see them that size in that tank.

cocoa_pleco
10-18-2007, 04:25 PM
i dont want to get into this war, but i can provide facts.

large fish kept in confined spaces, get their horomones screwed up and get stunted growth. when i was a beginner and literally the biggest dumb@$$. i kept jack dempseys and feeder goldfish in 10g tanks. the dempseys never grew one bit, and the goldfish got their growth stunted. they lived very short lives.

Oscars kept in 33g tanks will get stunted, guaranteed. 2 in a 33g is even worse, their horomones will get imbalanced and it even may cause them to turn on eachother and fight. the convicts in my 50g long are small, the pacu is small, and the oscar is about 5". the socar is getting a 125g when hes fullgrown, and the pacu will be moved to a 300g after he outgrows the 125g.

one oscar needs at least a 55g, better a 75g.
2 need at least a 75g, best a 100g
3 needs a 150g, and so on.

ruecole
10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Whoa, guys. Take it easy!

I agree the fish are in too small a tank, but obviously he didn't know that when he got the fish. He said he now knows they're underhoused and plans to get them a bigger tank and better filter, but he can't afford to run out and do it right now. And since they aren't sick or dying at the moment, give him a chance to rectify the problem. Don't just jump all over him because he made a newbie mistake. (I doubt there's one of us here who hasn't made a similar mistake!)

JMVHO

Rue

Nick89
10-18-2007, 08:13 PM
He/she said that they are upgrading to a 40 gallon, which isnt much better than the 35. If you have like a walmart near by they sell 55 gallon kits for 245 bucks or so, includes everything filter,tank,hood,light heater,thermometer everything you'll need. I was going to go that route but i found a better deal with my tank, i got the stand tank and everything for around 70 bucks. Theres no way, no way them fish are going to grow past 11 inches, maybe 10 the most. And i know 2 oscars in a 55 isnt good, but its better than the 35 or 40. The best thing to do is probably bring one of them back or give them to someone who has the tank size and just keep 1 in a 55. Thats what im going to do. Good luck blu-ray, like i said i like your fish.

ruecole
10-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I doubt Blu-ray has a Wal-Mart nearby. He/she lives in Iran... :rolleyes:

Rue

Nick89
10-18-2007, 09:17 PM
oh ok i didnt realize that.

Ocellatus
10-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I didn't say that they are upgrading from a 35g to a 40g, it might be a misunderstood becuz of my bad enlish, sorry for that.
i said i've got 40g and 35g tanks recently and i moved oscars to the 35g ( from their old super-ultra-over crowded 32g tank include +60" of different fishes! ) 40g is not ready yet and it belongs to other fishes. and as you said there's no difference between 35g and 40g. just 4" more height.
in continue i said that i'm thinking for a bigger tank as rue mentioned ( thanks )

and i won't separate these 2 oscars from each other becuz they are a pair. not two single ones that live with each other. i believe that they will breed soon or late.
and i also believe that they have emotions like us! as you know oscars are one of the most smart fishes. they know their owner. some of them let their owner touch them and play with them. they are able to choose their lifetime-mate even before they become mature. and they depend on their mate.
one of my friends told me once that he had a pair of oscars lived together for months and bred many times. one day accidentally one of them jumped out of the tank and died, in less than a week the other one died in the tank. he said that he could see the sadness in the eyes of that oscar before he die.

ok, too much story for this night :D

oh also about walmart! there nothing like that here. only a few small and messy fish stores in all my city ( capital of my country ), so please understand me a little more ...

edit:
yeah again you got the point rue ;)

Nick89
10-18-2007, 11:01 PM
What size tank are you upgrading? or are you moving the oscars into the 40 gallon? Either way, a 90-100 gallon tank is suitable for 2 oscars.

TowBoater
10-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Please get a large enough tank for them, for the fishes sake. They will more than likely not spawn in that small of a tank either.

Ocellatus
10-19-2007, 10:15 PM
no aqua i wont move them to a 40. a big enough one is desired. but i dont know when i can do that.

and you mr. hunter :D oscars will spawn even in a 30g tank. believe me. i have friends in my country aqua communities that their job is breeding fish like oscar.

Nick89
10-19-2007, 10:51 PM
How long have they been in the 35? If its been for awhile then I think their growth has been stunted. And whoever keeps oscars in a 30 gallon tank shouldn't own one. Its not right.

Ocellatus
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
8 months in previous 32g and 1 week in new 35g. ( what an improvement :D ) they are almost 1 year old and they are growing like normal.

And whoever keeps oscars in a 30 gallon tank shouldn't own one. Its not right.
our fishes live in small tanks same way as we live in small houses here! think about it, not hard to understand.

Nick89
10-20-2007, 12:09 AM
our fishes live in small tanks same way as we live in small houses here! think about it, not hard to understand.

It's not like that at all.. but whatever.... it's not healthy for the fish. 100 gallons for 2 Oscars.

Fishguy2727
10-20-2007, 01:18 AM
75 minimum for 2 oscars.

Fish can breed at a much smaller size than their maximum size. We had jack dempseys pair off and mate in a 15 gallon at work while they were still just over 4".

What is their size?

People can leave their small houses, the fish cannot.

I can cram a couple dogs in a 2'x4' crate and breed them, it doesn't mean I should.

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 02:40 AM
I don't know if many of you guys have done much travelling overseas, but you are dealing with a different culture and a whole different mindset here. From my limited experience of the middle east, I would say that Blu-ray, if he is genuinely in Iran, is probably taking fantastic care of those fish, compared to how they could have been housed, and certainly better than taking them back. His fish may not live a full life, but they will do far better than most of the fish there. And a 40g tank is doable, bio-load wise, it's just more work, probably 20 minutes a day to do a water change.

Once bioload is taken care of, the only problem left is swimming room. I agree 100% that 40g is not enough room for an O to swim in, but i don't believe anything less than 6' is enough for that, so for me a 55 or 75 is cruel too. But what he has could be far far worse.

We all need to be a bit more understanding when people like Blu-ray ask for help, as it is with people like him that your advice can really make a difference. If he leaves and doesn't return, his fish would be doomed for sure

Nick89
10-20-2007, 03:01 AM
Actually 2 oscars in a 40 gallon isnt doable, sorry but it isn't. And im not saying he isnt taking good care of them, but it doesnt mean the fish are happy in a small 35 gallon tank. 1 oscar in a 40 gallon isn't doable. But when you compare a person living in a small house is the same for fish its not accurate. I like his oscars, very colorful but a bigger tank is needed for longer life span.

2manyfish
10-20-2007, 03:05 AM
I didn't want to get into this but....

I've been in this hobby for almost 10 years now. Not forever but long enough. Been reading the whole time. Magazines, books, and on the internet. One thing that always seems to come back in this hobby is when someone says "it can't be done" and then somebody does it. Nano (SW) tanks were, not too long ago, one of those. Couldn't be done they said. Well lots of people proved that idea wrong. And while personally I wouldn't keep two oscars in a 40g, I have read of others keeping them in similar sized tanks and for years and years. Again, not something I would do but there it is.

My point is that not everything will be done the way we ourselves would like it to be done. And the art of keeping fish isn't written in stone. Yes we would like the fish to have a bigger home, Blu-ray wants this too but can't at the moment.
And who am I to talk? Right now I have an oscar and a pleco in a 50g because I'm clumsy and broke the 75g.

Blu-ray, your fish are obviously in good health. You must be taking very good care of them! Hopefully someday you will be able to get them a larger tank but until then, keep up with those water changes! :ezpi_wink1:

Just my 2

Nick89
10-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Oh yeah his fish look very healthy, but 35 gallon tanks are very small for 2 full grown size oscars.

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 03:14 AM
Actually 2 oscars in a 40 gallon isnt doable, sorry but it isn't. And im not saying he isnt taking good care of them, but it doesnt mean the fish are happy in a small 35 gallon tank. 1 oscar in a 40 gallon isn't doable. But when you compare a person living in a small house is the same for fish its not accurate. I like his oscars, very colorful but a bigger tank is needed for longer life span.

Are you aware that in the days before the whole internet thing got huge it was recommended to keep a pair of Os in a 55? That's how it was done back then, and that's the size tank that many many breeders used. That's what? 27.5 gallons each? So how can you say that 40 isn't doable when for years and years 27.5 was fine? Nobody said his fish would be delighted with a 35g tank, but believe me, in Iran that tank would be real luxury.

Nick89
10-20-2007, 03:20 AM
Well I tried and this isnt going anywhere.. but 1 oscar= 55 min 75 better. Good luck.

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Well I tried and this isnt going anywhere.. but 1 oscar= 55 min 75 better. Good luck.

Just out of interest, why do you say 55min?

Nick89
10-20-2007, 03:27 AM
I said im done with this.. lets move on. its obvious everyone has different opinions on this, but 55 is standard size for 1 oscar as a minimum within my research. 75 being wider, is a better option.

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 03:29 AM
That's a shame, you could have learned, something. Nevermind.........moving on

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 03:30 AM
i have to agree with one thing, in his country tanks may be limited so at least he has them in good health.

a 55g is the minimum due to water stabilization and size. a standard 55g isnt the best since it isnt wide enough for the oscar to turn around, but if you can get a 55g with the width of a 75g it should be good.

Nick89
10-20-2007, 03:31 AM
thought a 75 was the same thing as a 55 just wider? both 4ft long and i thought same height. And Deckard What could I learn from keeping 2 oscars in a 35 gallon tank? Many many people here which I use to ask a lot said 55 min 75 being best. Gm and I have had many conversations on this subject. 75 is best for 1 90-100 is best for 2.

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 03:37 AM
yep, a 75g is the same as a 55g just wider.

the guy from iran is doing the best he can, and i cant complain. however, in north america where there are plenty of sites selling used 55g's for $100, we should be able to give oscars plenty of space without excuse

Nick89
10-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Right, and I like his fish too very colorful. Hopefully he can get the bigger tank if not, I suppose the fish are fine, they look healthy. But if it was me I would try to get them out of that tank quick as possible.

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2007, 04:09 AM
OK......This subject has been beat to death and the same arguement being repeated over and over again. No point in it continuing until the thread is closed and everyone is ticked off with each other, is there?

Are his oscars healthy? Yes. Do they look happy? Yes Will they remain happy and healthy? Not likely. But for now, he has what he has and as long as he plans to upgrade to a larger tank........hopefully soon.......everything should be fine.

AquaKid is correct.........a 35 gallon tank is much too small for two oscars as adults. As adults even oscars on the smaller end of the scale will have no room to turn themselves around much less swim.

Personally I feel that if a person has not got the tank space now for fish that will grow, they should not get them until they do. Too many things happen and that large tank is never purchased and the fish end up too cramped, too crowded, too stressed and has far from a happy life.

You may think you are rescuing them from a horrid life when you purchase them but who's to say they might have gone to someone who has a huge tank and could give them a good life? You, yourself, may be the one who is subjecting them to a horrid life by cramming them in too small a tank.

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 04:22 AM
So we're back on are we? Ok then i'll play. I didn't say 2 Os in a 35 was ok, but that a 40 was doable for an O. I further asked why (since you seem to believe it strongly) 55g is the minimum size for an Os bioload. The fact is, you have no answer for that, and let's face it, is is quite unlikely isn't it? You are saying that mother nature is so smart that she has made fish who's bioload is a round number of gallons, not only that, but it a number of gallons that are readily available in the United States. Man that's gotta be the most unlikely scenario ever invented if you really think about it. What if that standard size tank had instead been 50g? Would that be the standard size instead?

It's easy to get caught up in facts on the internet. Oscarfish.com is probably one of the leading Oscar sites, and I was only thinking the other day how their advice has changed over the last year or two. It used to be that 55g was good for a single O, but that 2 was doable with a lot of work, then it changed to 55g minimum for a single O, and nowadays more often than not, people are advocating 75g as the minimum, but noone knows why they are saying this, they're just blindly repeating what they heard.

I believe a pound of actual experience is worth a ton of research.

I posted a few months ago about my 135g tank that housed until recently 4 full grown Os, all over 12" and healthy and active. That's about 34 gallons each, which according to you isn't possible. Come weekly water change time the nitrates are always below 20.

I have a friend who recently rescued a 4 yr old HITH ridden O from someone's 24"x12"x12" tank, and put him in his spare tank which from memory is 36"x14"x18" and I think is about 40g. Not only has this Oscar's HITH been completely cured in this tank, but he has actually had a growth spurt!!

So yes, 40g is not ideal, but far far better than what he had before, and healthy as can be, just like our Iranian friend could have with some help.

So once again......... why do YOU believe that 55g is the magic number?

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 04:36 AM
Sorry Hobbs.....we posted at a similar time, aqua and I are going to carry on in PMs, noboby's getting upset :thumb:

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Who was your post directed to......me? If so, we are not even talking the same thing here. You are talking one oscar in a 40 gallon and our friend from Iran is talking 2 oscars in a 35 gallon.

A 35 gallon is 12" wide I believe. A 40 gallon is 18 inches wide with room for a full grown oscar to turn around in. Big difference.

Of course the oscar your friend rescued improved. Why would he not improve when he was removed from a cramped 24 inch tank and put in a tank that was a foot longer? And as you mentioned yourself, he had a growth spurt. He had more ROOM which is what we have been trying to explain here.

If he had a growth spurt in a 36 inch tank, think of what he would do in a 55.
Let's just say it is not a "law" that one oscar needs 55 gallon but it's what is recommended as an ideal tank size for one.

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2007, 04:48 AM
We posted at the same time again I believe. LOL

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Let's just say it is not a "law" that one oscar needs 55 gallon but it's what is recommended as an ideal tank size for one.

100% agree.

this thread is starting to feel like a intense game of ping pong

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 04:53 AM
LOL yeah I was talking to Aquakid, and I at no time said that 35 was ok for 2, but that 40 was ok for 1, and I believe it's water quality and not room that allow a fish to grow, but that's another story. Geez this thread's a long way from where it started :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2007, 04:55 AM
And it's really, really hard to imagine a thread going helter-skelter here. LOL

cocoa_pleco
10-20-2007, 04:57 AM
lol, this is nuts.

my final statement is that i beleive the fish needs to have good water quality, and enough room to grow full size

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 05:02 AM
lol yeah it's nuts alright, you guys are disagreeing with me and saying the same things as me at the same time.

It'd be a shame on a public forum if threads get closed because members are exchanging opinions and ideas, how else are we going to learn from each other?

2manyfish
10-20-2007, 05:03 AM
The only reason I wrote something on this thread was because I don't want this site to become like some other sites. Where someone who maybe doesn't have the current ideal tank feels that they can't come here and talk.

I had no intention of fueling the fire so to speak.

And the reason 55g's is considered the bare minimum for one oscar is because of water changes. The average owner will most likely only do 10% to 20% water changes once a week and this sized tank is about the right size to keep those nitrates down. Owners with smaller tanks or multiple oscars/fish will have to do much larger water changes to keep the nitrates as low. It's just easier for the owner to keep up with it this way. Safer too in case you can't do a water change any particular week.

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2007, 05:15 AM
lol yeah it's nuts alright, you guys are disagreeing with me and saying the same things as me at the same time.

It'd be a shame on a public forum if threads get closed because members are exchanging opinions and ideas, how else are we going to learn from each other?

I absolutely HATE closed threads and I so much agree with you. They are my pet peeve! I would only close one if there was never ending slam- basting each other that would not stop without closing the discussion.

Topics can sometimes get a bit heated but discussing it further will usually put an end to it with everyone calming down and often agreeing with each other in the end. Closing a thread stops everything in the middle with nothing resolved and hard feelings carried on.

I think of forums as a group of friends sitting around the kitchen table having a heated topic going. One gets ticked for two seconds, then another might say something over the top, etc, but in the end, all end up pals and topics move on.

See.......we do agree after all. :1luvu:

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 05:31 AM
I absolutely HATE closed threads and I so much agree with you. They are my pet peeve! I would only close one if there was never ending slam- basting each other that would not stop without closing the discussion.

Topics can sometimes get a bit heated but discussing it further will usually put an end to it with everyone calming down and often agreeing with each other in the end. Closing a thread stops everything in the middle with nothing resolved and hard feelings carried on.

I think of forums as a group of friends sitting around the kitchen table having a heated topic going. One gets ticked for two seconds, then another might say something over the top, etc, but in the end, all end up pals and topics move on.

See.......we do agree after all. :1luvu:

LOL that we do

deckard_wa
10-20-2007, 06:04 AM
And in an effort to get this thread back to where it started, here are a couple of pics of my pride and joy........over a foot long and only 9 months old. It's going to break my heart to let him go when we move to Tasmania next year

spudbuds
10-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Beautiful oscars everyone. I've found this discussion rather interesting and I think it just goes to show how EVERYONE on this forum is just trying to do what's best for as many fish as they can.

If only I had a million gallon tank so I could have one. LOL! :ezpi_wink1:

Ocellatus
10-20-2007, 08:12 AM
OMG i slept last night and when i'm waking up the topic is 4 pages ahead!
all things have been said and no need to continue.
for being the reason of discussion, i apologize if some displeasures occurred during that.
but i'm glad i have friends here to learn many things from them.

TowBoater
10-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Seems I have started quite a kerfuffle with my statement about a gazillion posts ago. I stand by what I said but since he can't provide the proper area we can't do anything about it except lecture.

Fishguy2727
10-20-2007, 01:16 PM
'It could be worse' is absolutely no excuse for anything. With that logic as long as we aren't as bad as Hitler, or beat our kids to death, or weigh 1,200 pounds it is okay because it could be worse.

The minimum tank size is dictated by a few things. One is the fish's max size. Since oscars can hit 15-18" they should be in a tank at least 18" wide, preferably with a length of at least 4'. This would put the minimum for full grown oscar to be a 75. Water changes are a major issue and usually overlooked. If you don't do the water changes, a 150 for one isn't enough. If you do the water changes, chemically a 40 can be enough, but it is still cramped and could still stunt their growth, cutting years off of their life and causing health problems.

From what I can tell they are fine for now, but the owner should be on the hunt for a much larger tank.

Bigger is always better.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 12:58 AM
finally i got a digital camera!
some new high res shots.

http://xs220.xs.to/xs220/07420/oscars.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs220&d=07420&f=oscars.jpg)

Nick89
10-22-2007, 01:06 AM
nice pictures man. those fish seem like they are very close and dont let one another out of their sight. Lol the third picture is funny where he's yawning. Or whats he doing? Anyways, get a full tank shot man, very nice tank.

cocoa_pleco
10-22-2007, 01:07 AM
nice pictures man. those fish seem like they are very close and dont let one another out of their sight. Lol the third picture is funny where he's yawning. Or whats he doing? Anyways, get a full tank shot man, very nice tank.

oscars sometimes do that, it actually kinda is a yawn

Nick89
10-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Ha, thats funny. Everytime i go to petco, to look at the bigger oscars like 3'' or so they always yawn, and its not like a quick open close yawn it lasts quite awhile lol. i kind of find it funny.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 01:26 AM
actually it is not yawn here. its a kind of aggressive behavior against his mate! normally oscars do that when they are angry or wanna fight another fish or make it out of their territory. but here its not that. i'm seeing this behavior from both my oscars against eachother in early 2-3 days. thats intresting! they don't hurt eachother but seems to want the other one to do something. they push otherone toward the hole they have digged recently to do some more digging! they beat eachother but not to hurt. it might be a before breeding behavior.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 01:41 AM
ok aqua, i'll get a whole tank photo tomorrow. it's 5 am here! i mean today! i've not slept yet.
there's not something special in the tank. its a small tank you know. just a wood decor in the middle. also they don't like it! as you saw in the one pic of previous page she want to put it away because its near their hole.
i'm gonna put it away or put it in the corner tomorrow.
the thing that make the tank looks good is the simple purple background. gravels are good too.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
here it is the tank view.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Have they had HITH/HLLE before?
Looks to be a hint of it on both of them.

aquarius56
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Gorgeous Oscar's Blue-Ray!! They are also one of my favourites...one of the m-a-n-yyyyy!!!!

Nick89
10-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Blu, only thing i can say is, try to get a lid for that tank. Id hate to see the oscars jump out on ya. Nice tank though.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
yeah aquarius they are my favorites too.

fishguy, they have not had hole in the head and i didn't heard about HLLE till now that i read your article about it in disease section. do you think they have head and lateral line erosion?

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Blu, only thing i can say is, try to get a lid for that tank. Id hate to see the oscars jump out on ya. Nice tank though.
it has a lid but its not on it in that pic.
i have a bad experience about that. some months ago one night ( 1 am ) i was in my room suddenly i heard a horrible sound from my tank. sound of impacting something with the glass. i ran to the tank and turned on the light and saw yellow oscar had jumped out and was 4 ft away from the tank :help: i took her quickly and brought her back to the tank. she was so scared for 1 day but then became normal.
i was so lucky on that ... if i was not awake probably she wasn't here now.
thanks god!

however there was a heavy glass on the tank except only 1" in one side that wasn't covered. she had jumped so hard to that crack that the glass was displaced.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
It looks like they could have the beginning of it. they both seem to have very small holes started. It looks like the only filtration is an UGF and the powerhead with a cartridge on it. The UGF is a big no in my book, especially with big cichlids.

Do you know your nitrate level?
Exactly how big are they?
The tank?

They look good other than that, which is one of the issues with HITH/HLLE, it can affect fish in otherwise great health.

Nick89
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
hey fish guy, you think having 2 marineland penguin 350 bio-wheels will be good? I plan on doing 1/3 water change while oscar is a baby. And is the carbon thing true ? I really have no money to get other filters. Will he be ok right now since hes just 1.75''? thats the size i plan on getting. maybe when he gets to 4 inches i can switch out the filter to regular/non charcoal.

tropfish
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Ypur oscars are BEAUTIFUL! especially the yellow one, i;ven everseen a yellow (their both tiger oscars right?)

Fishguy2727
10-22-2007, 08:45 PM
The Biowheels are good, but they lack in mechanical filtration. I also do not like them because they include carbon.

Yes, there does seem to be enough evidence associating carbon in HLLE to not use it.

You could use some sort of cut-to-size pad instead of the Rite-Size cartridges.

Nick89
10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
yea but i mean i really dont have enough money right now. how much they cost? Also, i have 2, thats 700 gph. Way more than enough for 1 -3 fish.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2007, 09:32 PM
You can try cut-to-fit pads, they are usually cheaper than the regular cartridges, especially Penguin's usual cartridges. You can also try the crafts department for crib liner padding and stuff like that to see if any of that will work.

Ocellatus
10-22-2007, 10:35 PM
It looks like they could have the beginning of it. they both seem to have very small holes started. It looks like the only filtration is an UGF and the powerhead with a cartridge on it. The UGF is a big no in my book, especially with big cichlids.

Do you know your nitrate level?
Exactly how big are they?
The tank?

They look good other than that, which is one of the issues with HITH/HLLE, it can affect fish in otherwise great health.
i didn't noticed those holes. they are not look like hole anyway! but you are right, i googled HITH right now and seems they are sensory pits that have potential to create holes. but you know theres a long time they exist! i just considered them as some little scratches on them face. and they have not changed during these months.

i think i should make some changes in their boring diet and do more water changes.

i don't know the nitrate level.
they are 8" and 9" long ( with tail ).
35g tank.

yeah that filter is not suitable. i will get better one as soon as i can.

Ypur oscars are BEAUTIFUL! especially the yellow one, i;ven everseen a yellow (their both tiger oscars right?)
i think the orange one is not tiger. i don't know whats that :D

Nick89
10-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Sounds good blu ray, but ive heard if you turn the temp up higher and do a lot of water changes before it gets any worse it can heal it faster. Could be wrong but maybe someone can explain it better.

Fishguy2727
10-23-2007, 02:41 AM
Do what you can. They look more obvious than they should be, which is usually the beginning of HITH. Sometimes it doesn't get worse, sometimes it will suddenly get much worse.

They are both tigers, just different colors.

Ocellatus
10-23-2007, 10:01 AM
seems they like that ceramic i put for them yesterday.
they are cleaning it all the time and female breeding tube is coming out thumbs2:

Ocellatus
10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
here you are, 1.5 hours later :19:

Fishguy2727
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Very nice. Now, where are you going to put all the fry?

Nick89
10-23-2007, 06:03 PM
ive never seen that kind of yellow on an oscar, Very nice and what you plan on doing with the fry?

Ocellatus
10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
well, i have no experience with the fry. this time i think its better to leave them with their eggs. they might eat them all before hatch because its their first time but i let them gain some experience :D
actually i don't have any ready tank now. it is recommended to move the ceramic with the eggs on it to another tank with some soft airstone beside them and some methylene blue medicine in the water to prevent fungal infections. breeders here do this.
if they didn't keep their eggs this time, they will spawn again soon. next time i'll move eggs to another tank.

i don't know whether this tank water quality is suitable for eggs but i'll be happy if the eggs hatch and parents take care of the fry. i've heard that in small tanks parents eat their fry specially if they are hungry or afraid of something.

if there is something i should know please let me know.

Ocellatus
11-24-2007, 02:32 PM
just some new pics for update!
first 2 are new and last one is for 1 month ago.

squirt_12
11-24-2007, 02:36 PM
in the first pic...did you put those two white sheets in there for them to lay the eggs on???

very nice oscars...i love the colours.

Ocellatus
11-24-2007, 02:49 PM
in the first pic...did you put those two white sheets in there for them to lay the eggs on???

very nice oscars...i love the colours.
yeah thats for laying eggs. if they don't find a suitable place they will delay the spawning or won't do it!
in the previous posts theres some pics you can see they laid eggs on same sheets 1 month ago.
its 2 piece of 4*8" i should provide them one 8*8" thats better.

squirt_12
11-24-2007, 03:08 PM
yeah thats for laying eggs. if they don't find a suitable place they will delay the spawning or won't do it!
in the previous posts theres some pics you can see they laid eggs on same sheets 1 month ago.
its 2 piece of 4*8" i should provide them one 8*8" thats better.
yeah i saw the pic of them laying eggs. for a fish that big the eggs are tiny. lol.

Ocellatus
11-26-2007, 12:48 PM
worst tanks of the month :D

cocoa_pleco
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
nice! are you sure theyre 32g though? they look more like in the 55g range to me

Ocellatus
11-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Dimensions are 30*40*100 cm (12*16*40 inch) which means 120 liter. if i'm not wrong its 32g.
it needs 4" more in each direction (H,W,L) to be 55g!

cocoa_pleco
11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
darn, to the eye it looks larger.

nice tanks though!

Ocellatus
11-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I was looking at some old pics and thought you might want to see those big oscars when they were baby some months ago! :11:
lets look at the male one, first pic for 9 months ago and second for 7.5

digital3
11-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Well, this has been an enjoyable read. I barely found this thread today. Blu-Ray, you have some GREAT looking Oscars. Good luck man, and I hope you can some day get a bigger tank.

I have learned a LOT about Oscars in this thread. It makes me want a pair, but I need... more room! LOL :hmm3grin2orange:

Peace everybody!

Ocellatus
11-29-2007, 09:55 AM
thanks Joe.
yeah this was a hot thread once!
i was new to the site and was going to fight every body! (ain't i anymore? :hmm3grin2orange: )

yeah you certainly need a pair lol. but you need at least a 75g if you want the peace in this site and in your tank thumbs2:

Bassfan
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Your tank looks un level blu-ray. Id get that fixed.

Ocellatus
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah the oscar tank is not level. i didn't notice when i set it up 1.5 months ago. i'll fix it soon.

Bassfan
11-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Cool, just wanted to let you know. The other tank looks fine.

cocoa_pleco
11-30-2007, 02:38 AM
cool oscars blu-ray! they look like mine

Ocellatus
01-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Who wanted to see my teeth huh?? http://qsmile.com/qsimages/167.gif

Ocellatus
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I won't let this thread get buried! lol

shalafi04
02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I think oscars are scary lol

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Old post fish but still a nice Oscar... How big now....

bluekrissyspikes
02-16-2008, 07:06 AM
i really like your oscars blu-ray. they are gorgeous. they are lucky to be with someone who loves them as much as you do and regardless of what some people are saying i think you are taking good care of them.

Ocellatus
02-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks friends!
hey misty come on i promise they won't hurt you! lol
Jamie i think they would be bigger if they had a bigger tank :(
and thank you so much blue.

1 week later theres a damn big exam for me and then i'm free to live with my fish all the time! still trying to prepare them a better home ... cash problems :( planning on a bank robbery! http://qsmile.com/qsimages/223.gif

kitten3326
02-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Beautiful oscar pics, I think they are my most favorite fish.