PDA

View Full Version : Why I like peacocks (pics)

Fishguy2727
10-14-2007, 03:33 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/bluepeacock.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/blackfinpeacock.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/sunshinepeacock.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/pinkpeacock.jpg

Fishguy2727
10-14-2007, 03:34 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMGP1628.jpg

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 03:36 AM
WOW...those are VERY nice...yes i can tell why you like them.

Jeeze i really need to setup another tank and get some cichlids. Everybody seems to have cichlids (sp?)

Drumachine09
10-14-2007, 03:54 AM
FG, I saw a REALLY cool looking OB Peacock at petco today. IT was yellowish, with an almost irredescent orange speckling. I wanted it, but I dont have a peacock tank.....yet.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-14-2007, 04:53 AM
awesome looking peacocks!!! i cant wait till i get my peacock tank going:c8:

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 02:03 PM
have you bred them yet fishguy??? and if not are you going to??

Fishguy2727
10-14-2007, 02:05 PM
These are all males. I had females with them when they were in the 150 and one of these (not pictured) is one of their offspring. Most were eaten because I didn't take the babies from the females, just let them release them in the tank.

gm72
10-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Beautiful. I especially like the top blue one. Very, very nice!

tropfish
10-14-2007, 02:42 PM
WOW, you have me wanting peacocks (well i already did but i want thme more haha) the last one is beautiful!

~Erik3.8.07~
10-14-2007, 04:51 PM
These are all males. I had females with them when they were in the 150 and one of these (not pictured) is one of their offspring. Most were eaten because I didn't take the babies from the females, just let them release them in the tank.

wait peacocks eat their fry? i thought they protected them like other cichlids

Fishguy2727
10-15-2007, 12:45 AM
They are mouthbrooders, but once they release them all bets are off. And even if the fry's parents don't eat it, there are others in the tank happy to do so.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 01:07 AM
oh ok thx for the info, all the sites i looked up on them said they are mouth brooders but never mentioned what happens once they release them

squirt_12
10-15-2007, 02:30 AM
yes...i second the top blue one...i like it the best...now don't get me wrong..the others are appealing too but th eblue one just...stands out.

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 02:32 AM
man, theyre nice. all of mine are the ugly dull hybrids

squirt_12
10-15-2007, 02:33 AM
man, theyre nice. all of mine are the ugly dull hybrids
hahahahaha...well atleast your lucky enough to get some....my parents wont let me get another tank. lol. so i can't.

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 02:38 AM
lol, the hybrids are kinda ugly, but at least theyre peaceful. i had to rehome them and they gets along fine in a community tank

squirt_12
10-15-2007, 02:40 AM
they work in a community tank???? HHHMMMMMMM....

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 03:17 AM
they work in a community tank???? HHHMMMMMMM....

lol i think im starting to think the same thing you are squirt

mitcore
10-15-2007, 03:37 AM
wow they are very nice fish
i am jealous LOL

cocoa_pleco
10-15-2007, 03:44 AM
mine actually do work, but i have had plenty of odd mixes. when i used to breed oscars i had a baby one i raised to a adult that lived with fish as small as neon tetras and he never ate any

Fishguy2727
10-15-2007, 02:04 PM
From other forums it seems most or many of mine are hybrids. And hybrids should not be any less colorful than 'pure' individuals. Some may be a little less attractive, but so are some of the 'pure' varieties, but it is the females and juveniles that are a blah gray. Once the males hit sexual maturity they start to really get the nice colors.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 02:11 PM
about what age do they hit maturity?

CAF
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
It depends a little but most of mine begin to color up around 6 months.

Fishguy2727
10-15-2007, 02:50 PM
I have always seen color improvement immediately after they got into my tank. I used the special lake salts, the buffer, and only fed NLS, as well as good filtration and an aggressive water change schedule. I think all of these greatly influenced the success. They all seemed to improve immediately, and over time it just got better and better. I stopped using the salt and buffer when I moved them to the 75. They are still doing very well and colors are still improving, but they all had that good start and my tap is hard (pH holds at about 8.0) so that may have a lot to do with why they are doing so well without the buffer and salt.

CAF
10-15-2007, 03:05 PM
My apologies.... I meant 6 months from hatching.... LOL

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I have always seen color improvement immediately after they got into my tank. I used the special lake salts, the buffer, and only fed NLS, as well as good filtration and an aggressive water change schedule. I think all of these greatly influenced the success. They all seemed to improve immediately, and over time it just got better and better. I stopped using the salt and buffer when I moved them to the 75. They are still doing very well and colors are still improving, but they all had that good start and my tap is hard (pH holds at about 8.0) so that may have a lot to do with why they are doing so well without the buffer and salt.

ok thx for the tips :) i hope my lfs carries some good peacocks

2manyfish
10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Your pics are stunning Fishguy!! thumbs2: I love all your fish, they all look really great! :1luvu:

I have to ask though, is it really necessary to keep them in the higher pH? My own tap is 7.4 and I am not adding any cichlid salts to the tank. The peacock I have has very intense coloring and his health and all is very good. Just wondering what the long term effect might be.... thanks! :22:

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 05:51 PM
i think higher ph is only necessary if you want them to breed

Fishguy2727
10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Most likely if you did keep the pH higher and added the salts the colors would be even better, even if it took a while and didn't make all the difference in the world, they would still probably be better. Long term effects are hard to say. To be safe I would use a buffer and the salts, or at least try it for a few months.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
how much salt do you add? just regular aquarium salt right?

Fishguy2727
10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
No, it is special Cichlid Lake Salt. I used Seachem's. The dosing is one tablespoon per 40 gallons (3/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons).

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 07:19 PM
ooo ok i'll have to look for some of that at my lfs this week

2manyfish
10-16-2007, 05:22 PM
What buffer do you use Fishguy?

I'll look for the Seachems this weekend too! :c3:

Fishguy2727
10-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't use any anymore, trying to see how it will go and how vital they are in my water with my fish with my water change schedule. I used Proper pH, which is made by API.

CAF
10-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I used Proper pH, which is made by API.

just an FYI. API is now Mars Fishcare.

shauna
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Can you use this Cichlid Lake Salt if you have other fish in the tank beside Cichlid ?

Fishguy2727
10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
That is one of the issues with mixing them with other cichlids (from outside Lake Malawi) or other types of fish, you can't make the water right for both of them.

Do you have Lake Malawi cichlids?
What other types of fish do you have?

shauna
10-22-2007, 11:51 PM
All my guys are from lake Malawi cichlid. I did have 2 Dojo's in their, but I found they were getting picked on. I took them out and now they are in a sick tank. With some stress coat. I was wondering what could I put in as bottom feeders?

Fishguy2727
10-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Many Synodontis spp. are native to the lakes, others can do well in the water. I would keep the pH at 8.2 and use the salt.

malawi girl
10-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Hi there, I am new to the forum and was taking a look around and saw your question about bottom feeders, I do agree with fishguy on the bottom dwellers, however I also have raphaels with my malawis and clowns with my oscars. How big is your tank and what other fish do you have in the malawi tank.:11: I have heard of people keeping weather loaches with malawi however I would not recommend it, they are a very peaceful fish and depending what type of malawis you have you could be setting yourself up for problems. :help: :l29: Don't let it get you down though it will all work out, do you have another tank to put your weather loaches in, or can you rehome them. A malawi tank will bring you years of happiness and they are very beautiful fish.

shauna
10-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I had to put the loaches in another tank and I rehome the bala's. The Malawi cichlids I have are yellow labs, red zebras, kenyis and a auratus 13 in total Plus 6 giant danios, Oh and a common placeo.

Dixie
11-16-2007, 05:15 AM
I looked at the whole album. Took forever on dial up lol but was well worth it. They were just beautiful. My favorite fish was the white one with the turquoise fins & tail and the orange etc. spots. Gorgeous fish!:1luvu:
What is the latin or fancy big name for them (the peacocks) and can you tell me why they shouldn't live in a tank with mbuna cichlids? Is there any other cichlids they can live with?
Thanks for sharing the great fish,
Dixie
P.S. I have another 55g tank not in use. Might have to do peacocks in it:thumb: ummmm better wait a while though, since I'm just getting the first one started. Thinkin hubby would kill me.

Fishguy2727
11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Peacocks are actually a number of species in the genus Aulonocara. However, you will find that most will be in 'assorted African cichlids' tanks. This usually means they are hybridized, or at least you have to assume they are hybrids. Many think it is wrong to have, promote, and especially breed hybrids. However, I think if the fish is healthy and looks good then it is not an issue. I personally think buying captive bred animals is much better. Buying ones that are known to be one certain species or another requires them to either be wild caught themselves or usually not too many generations from it with good note keeping. This increases the demand of wild caught individuals while there are so many captive bred ones waitng to be given a good home. None of mine are known species. I believe one is wild caught, but even it was in an 'assorted' tank. So simply look for ones that have decent color as juveniles. Many come in with very bright colors and quickly lose them over the course of a few weeks. What this means is that they were hormone treated before they got to the LFS or the wholesaler the LFS got them from. What this does is shows off their potential adult coloration. Short-term hormone use like this should not cause any long-term harm to the fish. It is the long-term use of hormnes that will cause problems.

In the wild in Lake Malawi the peacocks reside deep down, hence the large eyes. This keeps them out of contact with mbunas and the open water piscivores, both of which are too aggressive to let the peacocks truly thrive. When they are with mbunas and other cichlids they seemed to be more stressed, which prevents them from truly thriving. Getting them to truly thrive should always be the main goal. In order to do this there are a few things that should be done. To start, with any fish, you want very high water quality. This means lots of water changes and lots of filtration. Secondly, diet is a very important issue with any fish (or any animal for that matter). I have found New Life Spectrum to be superior to any other food out there and that is why I feed it exclusively. There are other issues that are more specific to peacocks. For one they should be by themselves, save for a few exceptions like Synodontis spp. of catfish that naturally inhabit the same water parameters. This allows them (and you) to not have to worry about others harassing them and things like that. Not to mention that they are so beautiful by themselves you don't need any other fish in with them. They sould also be in a pH of about 8.2. In addition because Lake Malawi is land-locked there is no outflow, which means all the minerals that get there, stay there. This means that the lake has a higher concentration of certain minerals and salts compared to other bodies of freshwater. The fish are used to this and therefore you should add a special lake salt at the proper dosage. I always used Seachem's Cichlid Lake Salt. For pH I always used Proper pH 8.2. These things may be more neceesary in certain tap water parameters. For example, if your tap is 7.8-8.0 or something you may not need the buffer and may not even need the salts.