PDA

View Full Version : Fin Nips

hawkerw
12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question? The other day I picked up a awsome near adult. In the tank was a number of other oscars. He has a couple spots on his tail and one on the upper fin where it appears he got some battle damage. With tail fine and the upper fin does that just grow back out or will it just heal over as is?

madagascariensis
12-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Like you must have observed, oscars are territorial and dropping in a new guy into a tank with an established hierarchy is never a good idea. If the base of the fins are not damaged and water quality is good, the fins likely will grow back given time.

hawkerw
12-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Yes I Understand. I am not new to Oscars I have just never ontained one that you might call a rescue. I haver him in with 1 younger oscar a inch or so shorter. They are getting along very well. all water parameters are at 0. 50% water change once a week, well maintained filtration. He appears completely healthy except what appears to be nips to his tail less than a half inch. I did not know if it just heals like that or it would grow back as I have never had this issue.