PDA

View Full Version : About freaking time....

Bill M.
10-13-2007, 05:52 AM
My SW is finally cycled, after close to 4 weeks... lol.... 0 ammonia, 0 trites, 10 trates, ph 8,2......might be buying my percs tomorrow....:hmm3grin2orange: :11:

~Erik3.8.07~
10-13-2007, 05:56 AM
congrats post some pics when u get em :)

unleashed
10-13-2007, 06:55 AM
congrats on the cycle finishing

Just remember not to stock your tank too quickly otherwise you will force it into another cycle

S13DWS
10-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Awesome stuff! love to see some pics man!

Bill M.
10-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Have no fear unleashed.. I am only adding 2 perculas...and that is basically the final stocking..lol.. that and some low light corals....but no overstocking here!

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 04:45 PM
congrats....could you post a pic of what the tank looks like right now??

Bill M.
10-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey squirt... definatly... lol.. i got my clowns... a pair of Ocellaris......

I will post pics in my blog...

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 07:13 PM
wow...i saw your tank setup and it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill M.
10-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey squirt, check out the blog.....

Its got much updated pics.....

I have more LR in there too....

unleashed
10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
nice looking tank

What wattage are those lights? You said that you wanted an anemone but if you have low wattage lights, that may not be plausible. You might want to go for a torch coral or a frogspawn coral as I used to have clown which hosted in them.

Bill M.
10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
There is a 35 watt 50/50 Acetic blue CF and a 40 watt full spectrum CF. As there is only 18 gallons give or take of actual water in the tank, that puts me at 4.16 wpg.....

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 07:42 PM
ok...since you got a clown pair..would they lay eggs in the tank and would the eggs hatch??? cause i have never heard of someone having them hatch before in their tank. They would be good parents and look after the eggs wouldn't they??

thanks.
Very nice tank and clowns.

unleashed
10-13-2007, 08:03 PM
There is a 35 watt 50/50 Acetic blue CF and a 40 watt full spectrum CF. As there is only 18 gallons give or take of actual water in the tank, that puts me at 4.16 wpg.....
when it comes to anemones, watts per gallon doesn't really have any effect. It depends of the Light Intensity. For example, an aquarium with 1 wpg of Metal Halide Lighting would be far more likely to have success with an anemone that a person such as yourself with 4 wpg of pc lighting.

squirt_12 - clowns do regularily breed and in aquariums and generallly make good parents. However, when the clutch of eggs hatch, the fry get blown around by powerheads, go through skimmers, become coral/fish food etc. Nearly all of the fry will be dead within 2 hours of hatching. the only way the fry will survive is if an individual is extremely lucky to escape predation (worms, feather duster, corals, fish etc) and all of the filter equipment. Or, you would have to physically have to remove the fry straight after hatching to a special breeding setup.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 08:07 PM
o....ok...so there is a chance that you COULD maybe save some but you have to take them out. ok. i get it then.
thanks

Bill M.
10-14-2007, 06:14 AM
:flipa: :flipa: [QUOTE=unleashed]when it comes to anemones, watts per gallon doesn't really have any effect. It depends of the Light Intensity. For example, an aquarium with 1 wpg of Metal Halide Lighting would be far more likely to have success with an anemone that a person such as yourself with 4 wpg of pc lighting.
squirt_12 - clowns do regularily breed and in aquariums and generallly make good parents. However, when the clutch of eggs hatch, the fry get blown around by powerheads, go through skimmers, become coral/fish food etc. Nearly all of the fry will be dead within 2 hours of hatching. the only way the fry will survive is if an individual is extremely lucky to escape predation (worms, feather duster, corals, fish etc) and all of the filter equipment. Or, you would have to physically have to remove the fry straight after hatching to a special breeding setup.[/QUOT

Thanks for making me feel that my set up is a POS....lol:flipa: :flipa:

unleashed
10-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks for making me feel that my set up is a POS....lol:flipa: :flipa:

no worries :c9:

but seriously though, its is better to find these things out before you decide to buy otherwise you are putting an organism's life on the line.

squirt_12
10-14-2007, 01:56 PM
so i am guessign that you are going AGAINST the anenome idea???

unleashed
10-15-2007, 03:04 AM
so i am guessign that you are going AGAINST the anenome idea???
yes ... until he gets stronger lights such as T5HOs or MH.

Until then, there are substitute corals such as torches and frogspawns which clowns commonly host in while being kept in aquariums

Bill M.
10-16-2007, 03:33 AM
Sweet.... ill have to check those out.....