PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions

themusician
10-13-2007, 04:32 AM
This is my 20 gallon tank as it appeared a few days ago (I can get another picture tomorrow, but my lights have been off most of the day to acclimate my newest fish).

It's my first attempt at a planted tank, but I'm not happy with it. It was great at first, but once I got light and fertilizer in it, the plants grew in ways I wasn't expecting, and now I'm not sure I like the placement of any of them, except for the java fern. The crypt got huge while the anubias didn't grow and now the middle is all out of whack. The sword in the back is really happy, but all of the new leaves are large with short stems instead of small with long stems, and I don't know if it will fill the corner quite like I envisioned.

Anyway, I would like everything to move and for it to be MUCH more heavily planted. Any suggestions of where to move things and what other plants to get would be extremely welcome.

Here are the specs:
20g high tank
65w coralife fixture
Hagen Natural CO2 system
Flourite and black gravel mixed
Aquaclear 50 filter
Will be stocked with platies, lemon tetras, cory cats, and amano shrimp

Current plants (all guesses as they were "assorted" from Petsmart): anubias angustifolia 'Afzelli' (narrow-leaved anubias), cryptocoryne balansae, java fern, and some type of sword that I still can't identify.

Rue
10-13-2007, 02:56 PM
It looks fine as it is...and those plants still have a lot of growing to do...but if you really want to make a change, I think you have a group of plants that all essentially look the same...

I would group them closer together near the back or to one side...and then get a short round-leaved plant for the front to provide contrast...

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 03:47 PM
just a little heads up...the amano shrimp may nibble on your plants. But they will also nibble on the algae in them to keep them clean so there are pros. and cons.

Incredulous_Ed
10-13-2007, 04:26 PM
well, it looks like you have good lighting, co2, and flourite! that's almost everything you need. I wouldn't move anyfish out from it, as it is unessecary if you are only going to putting in more plants.

themusician
10-14-2007, 03:07 PM
It looks fine as it is...and those plants still have a lot of growing to do...but if you really want to make a change, I think you have a group of plants that all essentially look the same...

I would group them closer together near the back or to one side...and then get a short round-leaved plant for the front to provide contrast...

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right about all the plants looking the same. I was going to plan out everything, but I was at Petsmart yesterday and their plants looked healthier than usual, so on a whim I picked out some wisteria and red ludwigia (how do I pronounce that anyway?).

The tank already looks much better, but I'm going to move a few more things around and then I'll take some pictures.

themusician
10-14-2007, 03:09 PM
well, it looks like you have good lighting, co2, and flourite! that's almost everything you need. I wouldn't move anyfish out from it, as it is unessecary if you are only going to putting in more plants.

Nah, my fish are staying put. I think I was referring more to moving the plants than moving the fish. :4:

CAF
10-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think you're right about all the plants looking the same. I was going to plan out everything, but I was at Petsmart yesterday and their plants looked healthier than usual, so on a whim I picked out some wisteria and red ludwigia (how do I pronounce that anyway?).

The tank already looks much better, but I'm going to move a few more things around and then I'll take some pictures.

Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens) = Lewd we g ah Ray Pains (commonly mispronounced as Lewd we g ah Ree Pens)

Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) = Hi grow Feel a Dee Form iss