PDA

View Full Version : pics. of my fiddler crab tank

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 02:21 AM
ok well it is not very good right now but after a while i will rescape it and make it look better. In these pictures it has been setup for about 2 days. And i have adapted to feeder guppies to the brackish water and about 20 snails. ramshorns so i don't know how long they will last but the fiddlers can have a snack. lol.

but if you think that is looks a little gros you can tell me because i am going to get some more stuff for it tomorrow. like some plastic plants to add some decor and maybe some ghost shrimp for the fiddlers and maybe some more feeder guppies.

Also give any suggestions on what i should and shouldn't do...like if i should add more land and stuff like that.

thanks

Futureboy
10-13-2007, 02:27 AM
looks good maybe a rock in the middle of the water so it doesnt just look half/half and they have something to climb?

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 02:29 AM
good suggestion...i will look into that....i also think that i need more land...but i will just let the water evapourate and it will give them more land.

thanks futureboy.

Drumachine09
10-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Two things IMO:

1.) There isnt a whole lot of color. You can find some nice floating plants that will REALLY brighten up your tank. Perhaps a decoration or two on the bank.
2.)You might want to add an airstone to the submerged portion, to get a bit of water movement in there.

Other than that, it should make for a wonderful home for your fiddlers.

Futureboy
10-13-2007, 02:39 AM
no worries champ :thumb:

what would have been cool if you had a wider tank would be random bits of land everywhere when water in between so it was like channels all through it

maybe instead of a rock you could have a nice peice of drift wood?

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Two things IMO:

1.) There isnt a whole lot of color. You can find some nice floating plants that will REALLY brighten up your tank. Perhaps a decoration or two on the bank.
2.)You might want to add an airstone to the submerged portion, to get a bit of water movement in there.

Other than that, it should make for a wonderful home for your fiddlers.
yeah i thought that i should have an sirstone or a filter of some kind to get the water moving. Rightn ow the guppies in there are moving it around a bit. And i have chunks of live plants in there for them to get air..even thought the crabs are just going to eat them. lol.

But i will look for some stuff tomorrow to put in there to spice it up some.

Thanks for the suggestions.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 02:42 AM
no worries champ :thumb:

what would have been cool if you had a wider tank would be random bits of land everywhere when water in between so it was like channels all through it

maybe instead of a rock you could have a nice peice of drift wood?
yeah i never thought of that...hhhmmmmmm i am thinking that i am going to be spending alot of money tomorrow. lol.

EDIT- actually if i got a piece of rock...big enough i could put some land on the other sie of the tank??? would that look cool???

S13DWS
10-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Tank looks pretty cool! Can we get a picture of a fiddler crab of yours? Ive never seen one before!

Futureboy
10-13-2007, 08:08 AM
would that look cool???

I dunno would it?

its compleatly up to you its your tank just go for whatever satisfys you (and your crabs)

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 01:06 PM
ok...well i think that i will try that...and i am going to go and get my crabs in about 1 hour so...when they get settled in and everything iwill def. get a pic and post it.

thanks for all of the replies.

and feedback is welcome.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 02:44 PM
ok well i got my fiddlers (1 male 1 female) and i got my heater...so ai m just waiting for the temp. in the tank to go up and then i will add the fiddlers to the water and then after they get settled in i will get some pics of them.

Names???? i don't have any good ones???
thanks.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM
how bout snappy and pinchy lol:ezpi_wink1:

nice tank squirt, i think youve just inspired me to make my old 5g tank int o a fiddler crab tank, how do you tell which is male and female? the size of their claw?

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 03:58 PM
well a 5g you could get 1 fiddler crab. But you can tell them apart EASILY...it is like the easiest thing ever. once i found out how to i was like...OOO...lol.

Well the male has one giant claw and a small one. and the female has 2 little ones.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/mrri/acechar/specgal/image/photos/fiddler.jpg
that is a male ^^^^

http://www.sms.si.edu/IRLFieldGuide/images/ThayeriB.jpg
thats a female ^^^^

can you tell the difference???

in about 10 minutes i will post pics of mine.

Rue
10-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Nice! Just needs a bit of colour!

~Erik3.8.07~
10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
only one? ok maybe i'll get a new 20 gallon and make the old 10 a fiddler crab tank so i can get a couple, plus its an excuse to get a new 20 long ive always wanted:9:

gotta do some research tho, i have no idea how to even make brackish water lol

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Nice! Just needs a bit of colour!
yeah i know...i don't know what to add though...i am thinking of getting some fake plants. Cause they will eat the live ones. I have added 1 green fake plant to it in the front left corner of the tnak.

P.S.
I can't get a good pic of the crabs because they are hiding. lol.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 04:09 PM
only one? ok maybe i'll get a new 20 gallon and make the old 10 a fiddler crab tank so i can get a couple, plus its an excuse to get a new 20 long ive always wanted:9:

gotta do some research tho, i have no idea how to even make brackish water lol
yeah well a 10 gallon it says you acn get 4 fiddlers but they can reach 2 inches wide so i would only get 2 and plus if you get 2 males they mey fight each other. so if you were gonna get some get 1 male and 1 female. They may lay eggs but they will never hatch in captivity. THey nees natural ocean occurances for them to hatch.

But yeah do your research. I researched for about a month before getting mine.

but they are cool and fun (so far) to have.. lol.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-13-2007, 04:15 PM
oooo thanks for tellin me that, cause i just found out the eggs could never hatch so i was thinking of getting to males, when you make brackish water do you just add aquarium salt and stir till you get the right amount of salinity?

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 04:35 PM
well i use marine salt or sea salt (whatever you call it) but i think that you can use aquarium salt...and yes you just stir it in a pail first and then add it to the aquarium. Sand substrate is the best...i just used play sand.
so yeah they are prety easy.

THey don't need any special lighting, their water needs to be at around 75-85 degrees F.
They eat veggies and meat. No celery. they will not eat it and it is not good for them. Shrimp pellets, veggie rounds, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp.

So i hope that that helps you out some.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
yea thats pretty much everything i need to know, thx squirt

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 04:46 PM
yea thats pretty much everything i need to know, thx squirt
no problem. :thumb:

Drumachine09
10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see pics!

JFTR, you cant use aquarium salt to make brackish water. That is for medicinal purposes. You need sea or marine salt.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
o..ok...i did not know that....well i knew that in your norml tank that you can use it for medical purposes. Thanks drum.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 08:10 PM
ok.....so if i were to get 3 more fiddlers and put them into my 20g witht he other 2 would that make them more active??? cause right now they just sit there and its kinda boring. But in my LFS they had 5 (until i took 2) and well they all were really active. So would htis help??

and i think the remaining 3 were 2 male 1 female.

Thanks so much.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 09:57 PM
ok well my 2 fiddlers are more active now so i think they just needed to get settled in some.

Well i have another pic of my tank. I only did a few things. I added a fake plant in the corner and i moved some of the rocks so they have more land to go up on.

Any feedback is welcome.

thanks.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-13-2007, 10:34 PM
the plant looks nice in there, but i think you need to make a little more land

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 10:48 PM
ok...well i found 2 big pieces of rock so i think that i will put them in there and then when i do that i will post another pic.

squirt_12
10-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Well i added 2 big rocks to the tank to make some more land in the opposite corner of the tank.
So does that look good now??? or should i add more land than that???

P.S.
So far they don't seem to want to go on the land...or atleast when i am in there.

~Erik3.8.07~
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
i think that little rock structure make the tank look much better, nice job squirt :)

squirt_12
10-16-2007, 02:39 AM
thanks Erik...well in the 3rd picture of the newest ones...where you can see my male crab...i have added another rock structure...this one has 2 rocks and then 1 ontop to make it look like a cave. And it is right up against the glass. i think that it looks cool. lol.

Thanks for all of the posotive replies.

imneverlast
10-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I have my fiddler ina 20 gallon tank here on my desk, I have ordered him a girlfriend and she should be in soon.

MAN! this tank not being all the way full allows for the salt to creep on the glass. have any of you had to clean that up b4? IT'S A NIGHTMARE nothing seems to take it off except a razor blade and that takes for ever.

I just dont see how people with an acrylic can even do it.

i was wondering if anyone knows if its bad for the fiddle to eat bread crumbs. i dropped a tiny piece of pizza crust in there the last night and he went nuts for it. not like he does with the crab pellets. he picked it up and put it in his big claw and carried it around munnching on it till it was all gone.

if its bad for him i won't do it anymore but he really seemed to dig it.

squirt_12
10-20-2007, 09:15 PM
no i havn't had any salt going up the glass yet.....but well mine eat crab cusine pellets, shrimp pellets, ghost shrimp (live) fedder guppies, lettuce, you can try veggie rounds...but yeah mine will eat anything that they can eat. Well it should be fine that they ate the bread....i good little treat.

Digging is what they almost need to do. In the wild they burrow in the ground twice a day when the tide comes in and they breed in the hole. So it is good that he is digging and making ahole. Just leave it alone. thats what i would do.