PDA

View Full Version : What are the large anubias species?

Lady Hobbs
10-13-2007, 12:32 AM
After reading that the larger anubias spiecies can grow huge as a bog plant, I would like to get some and plant them in my 10 gallon with the leaves out of the water just to see how they'd do? The article I am referring to claims that they grow much faster with the leaves out of the water than in the water. I just don't know which species are considered the larger anubias.

I also got a couple nice pieces of bamboo today (cut from a friends plant) and I've read that will rot in a tank so would also like to try those, as well.

Thoughts?

tropfish
10-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Bamboo grows ok in water, but grows alot better in soil. I want to try to convert someanubias to a bog plant, it would be cool.

Lady Hobbs
10-13-2007, 12:54 AM
I thought I read that bamboo rots pretty quickly so I thought I may also try it as a bog. I would like to put it in a tank tho so may try two pieces different ways.

tropfish
10-14-2007, 02:46 PM
The roots can be sumberged, but if the whole thing is, it will rot.

CAF
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Okie dokie folksies....

1. Bamboo is a bog plant and will die if left submersed.

2. The following is a list of Anubias species as recognized by the United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Area, Germplasm Resources Information Network or GRIN.

Anubias afzelii Schott
Anubias barteri Schott
Anubias barteri var. angustifolia (Engl.) Crusio Synonyms: Anubias lanceolata f. angustifolia Engl.
Anubias barteri var. barteri
Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia Engl.
Anubias barteri var. glabra N. E. Br. Synonyms: Anubias lanceolata N. E. Br.
Anubias barteri var. nana (Engl.) Crusio Synonyms: Anubias nana Engl.
Anubias heterophylla Engl. Synonyms: Anubias affinis De Wild. and Anubias congensis N. E. Br.

There are many others besides these, however.....

In repsonse to the question:
Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia has some good size leaves on it....

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
OK. Thanks. I am thinking of emptying my 10 gallon except for a couple inches of water and trying the anubias and the bamboo just for the fun of it.